Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 11 and I am expecting to get 6~7A*s (Including a Chinese one which they would probably ignore because it's my first language), 2Bs (English Lng and Lit) and a C in History.

I will be doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and German as my A Levels and I am quite confident in getting 4A*s and one AS German A grade since I would drop it for the second year.

My question is: will the 2Bs and one C in my GCSE pull me down?
    Also, if I am applying for Computer Science, will a gold in Senior Maths Challenge or even an entry to BMO1 be a bonus?

Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by InneRs)
    I am currently in Year 11 and I am expecting to get 6~7A*s (Including a Chinese one which they would probably ignore because it's my first language), 2Bs (English Lng and Lit) and a C in History.

I will be doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and German as my A Levels and I am quite confident in getting 4A*s and one AS German A grade since I would drop it for the second year.

Also, if I am applying for Computer Science, will a gold in Senior Maths Challenge or even an entry to BMO1 be a bonus?

Thanks
    Re GCSEs - they are fine (and not very important for Cambridge).

Re Supercurriculars - they are fine too.

Being on target to meet or exceed the typical offer is more important than either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Re GCSEs - they are fine (and not very important for Cambridge).

Re Supercurriculars - they are fine too.

Being on target to meet or exceed the typical offer is more important than either.
    Will other top universities weight GCSEs more?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Will other top universities weight GCSEs more?
    Perhaps, but 6 or 7 A*s will be good anywhere.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I think it is a little early to be "quite confident" of getting A* in A2 in June 2018. In general for computer science it will be your relevant A levels and related GCSE that matter. A higher grade in English is still useful for top universities and later job applications. Any demonstrations of relevant ability such as maths challenges are useful but will not be unusual.

ReputationRep:
    They're GCSE's, they don't hold anywhere near as much weight as A levels. You know what you have is easily enough for you to get to your chosen college and from there A levels are what's going to determine how you'll get into Cambridge.

Thanks
    I only got 8 A*s at GCSE because I was sick for all of year 10 so I only ended up taking 8 GCSEs. I got an offer to study philosophy at Cambridge anyway, so you should be fine.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Lol you haven't begun your A-levels yet, instead of saying you're confident in getting 4A*s say you're aiming for 4A*s. A-levels are a whole different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I only got 8 A*s at GCSE because I was sick for all of year 10 so I only ended up taking 8 GCSEs. I got an offer to study philosophy at Cambridge anyway, so you should be fine.
    "only" 8 A*'s...

I got 5 A*s and still got an offer

Just make sure you're on track to meet the typical A Level offer

ReputationRep:
    I only got 3 A*s (along with a couple of As and 3 Bs) and got an offer for English.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.