Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A lecturer I'd call professor if I'm addressing them directly or their first name if talking about them to another person. Some of them do make you aware of what level of formality is required, with an brief explanation given in a lecture or the lecture notes.
    I call my tutor by his first name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    I sarcastically call them Dr while asking questions I know they can't answer so they look bad to the rest of the group.
    lol i used to call my high school teachers "sir" because I was one of the only brown people there

in the beginning
    i called them by their first names :toofunny:

"Miss Shannon" was PIIIIIISSED

so i sarcastically changed and called them "sir" and "madam" :rofl:
    and they said, "you don't have to call me that "

so they let me call them whatever I wanted lol

example: Mr. Luckemschmuck would become: "Yo, L."

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Were you there when it happened?

Why are other people's lives more eventful than mine.

No drama at all for me. :ahee:
    What do you mean where was I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    What do you mean where was I?

Were you in the room or did you just hear about it?

Sorry LP.

ReputationRep:
    My uni had on first names terms policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    If they have an official title such as Dr or Professor by that followed by their surname

if not by mr/ms/mrs followed by surname or politely as Sir
    good morn-ting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amen1991)
    good morn-ting
    good afternoon
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    "What would you like me to call you?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    good afternoon
    it's not afternoon where I am
    but hello good man

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how they put it themselves.

Personally, I would call them by their first name.

If you send them an email, with "Mr / Mrs ... ... " and see how they respond (ie. "Kind Regards, John" or "Kind Regards, Mr B" etc

you will be able to know what they want to be addressed by.

Remember, they're just humans. Hell, I'm going for a lecturer interview myself in a week, and I wouldn't have any problem with students using my first name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Depends on how they put it themselves.

Personally, I would call them by their first name.

If you send them an email, with "Mr / Mrs ... ... " and see how they respond (ie. "Kind Regards, John" or "Kind Regards, Mr B" etc

you will be able to know what they want to be addressed by.

Remember, they're just humans. Hell, I'm going for a lecturer interview myself in a week, and I wouldn't have any problem with students using my first name.
    Thanks for the reply I have Asperger's Syndrome and can miss social cues, so using thee email like that as a cue is helpful, I'm the first in my family to go to uni as well so I couldn't ask any of them.

ReputationRep:
    However I guess at older, prestigious institutions 'Sir' or 'Miss' might be appropriate in some cases.
    No, that really is restricted to school. I've never heard a university lecturer in the UK called Sir or Miss and I've been to Oxford - I even called the head of my department there by his first name from Day One. A uni is much more like an adult business working environment in that respect.

Generally, listen to how other people are addressing them and copy that. 99 times out of 100 it will be their first name only.

You should make yourself aware of their academic title. If you're unsure, call them "Dr (Surname)" or "Professor (Surname)" the first time you meet. The vast majority of staff will respond with "Oh just call me (First Name)" and you'll be on first name terms from that point.

Of course the obvious thing is to not use their name at all. You don't need to use their name when you speak to them.

I study/work in a small field and have met world experts in my subject - I've never used anything other than their first names after an initial introduction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No, that really is restricted to school. I've never heard a university lecturer in the UK called Sir or Miss and I've been to Oxford - I even called the head of my department there by his first name from Day One. A uni is much more like an adult business working environment in that respect.

Generally, listen to how other people are addressing them and copy that. 99 times out of 100 it will be their first name only.

You should make yourself aware of their academic title. If you're unsure, call them "Dr (Surname)" or "Professor (Surname)" the first time you meet. The vast majority of staff will respond with "Oh just call me (First Name)" and you'll be on first name terms from that point.

Of course the obvious thing is to not use their name at all. You don't need to use their name when you speak to them.

I study/work in a small field and have met world experts in my subject - I've never used anything other than their first names after an initial introduction.

Cool.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    Were you in the room or did you just hear about it?

Sorry LP.
    No she just told me afterwards, definitely his style smh

No worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethanyS22)
    This may be a stupid question but what do you call uni tutors?
    usually they go by first name e.g Roger

ReputationRep:
    Usually last name, eg. Mr Corvi; Ms Andersen

We're not friends or peers so calling them by their first name would feel weirder

ReputationRep:
    Ayo niqqa

ReputationRep:
    Geezer.

ReputationRep:
    Like in Germany, "Herr Doktor Professor".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Usually it's always their first name but they'll usually state what to address them as.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.