Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In need of some advice
    I'm in my first year at Newcastle studying mech eng, and while I'm not exactly struggling with the course, I'm not particularly enjoying it either. Some of the modules (particularly materials, design+manufacture and dynamics) aren't as interesting as what I expected, and because the content bores me I find the workload even worse than it already is.
    I've had a look at the modules covered in maths and they seem to be quite engaging and varied too, and hopefully there's less contact hours too (even if it means I have to do more work outside lectures).
    Should I go for the change? I don't know how different my prospects will be for my career choices after uni and I have no clue what I want to do with my life after uni yet, so I guess I'm just looking for advice and opinions, maybe even someone who's done it could tell me how it worked out for them if I'm lucky haha
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Goldenballs97)
    In need of some advice
    I'm in my first year at Newcastle studying mech eng, and while I'm not exactly struggling with the course, I'm not particularly enjoying it either. Some of the modules (particularly materials, design+manufacture and dynamics) aren't as interesting as what I expected, and because the content bores me I find the workload even worse than it already is.
    I've had a look at the modules covered in maths and they seem to be quite engaging and varied too, and hopefully there's less contact hours too (even if it means I have to do more work outside lectures).
    Should I go for the change? I don't know how different my prospects will be for my career choices after uni and I have no clue what I want to do with my life after uni yet, so I guess I'm just looking for advice and opinions, maybe even someone who's done it could tell me how it worked out for them if I'm lucky haha
    Thanks
    Maths is quite a versatile degree so you'll still have a lot of different choices of careers to go into once you graduate.
    Have a word with your personal tutor and see how you would go about transferring. But have a think and make sure maths is right for you. But it definitely sounds like you don't want to do mechanical engineering, but there's still other types of engineering and physics you could do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.