Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People always comment on young I look and it's annoying :@ Watch

Nearly everyday or at least every week I will be at work and one of either my colleagues or a customer or a cashier or even a taxi driver will make a comment, out of nowhere, about how young I look and it's really starting to bug me

I'm 21, pay all my own bills and I'm financially independent aswell as being halfway through a masters degree yet I am being told that I look anywhere from 12-18 depending on the person. Frankly I'm getting rather of sick of it and it's quite irritating. What should I say back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nearly everyday or at least every week I will be at work and one of either my colleagues or a customer or a cashier or even a taxi driver will make a comment, out of nowhere, about how young I look and it's really starting to bug me

I'm 21, pay all my own bills and I'm financially independent aswell as being halfway through a masters degree yet I am being told that I look anywhere from 12-18 depending on the person. Frankly I'm getting rather of sick of it and it's quite irritating. What should I say back?
    Grow a beard

ReputationRep:
    Say nothing? When you look like a wrinkled old ballbag you'll miss the days people thought you were young.

ReputationRep:
    You sound young

ReputationRep:
    M or F?

(Original post by plasmaman)
    Grow a beard
    (Original post by stefano865)
    M or F?
    I'm a woman.

(Original post by Arkasia)
    Say nothing? When you look like a wrinkled old ballbag you'll miss the days people thought you were young.
    No, it's rude. I wouldn't dream of making comments on people's appearances out of nowhere.

(Original post by whorace)
    You sound young
    Why comment unless you're going to add something constructive?

ReputationRep:
    HAHA

(Original post by whorace)
    I did. The issue is you have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old girl
    You have no idea what I've been though in life. How dare you sit there and profess to know my state of mind.

I find your comments to be rude and unhelpful, kindly stop commenting.

Unless you're going to offer me practical and helpful advice.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea what I've been though in life. How dare you sit there and profess to know my state of mind.

I find your comments to be rude and unhelpful, kindly stop commenting.

Unless you're going to offer me practical and helpful advice.
    Lol she can retaliate in a mature way but can't even think about how to reply to a compliment.
    WHAT THEN DO YOU WANT PEOPLE SAY YOU LOOK 30-40???

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by EnemyofState)
    Lol she can retaliate in a mature way but can't even think about how to reply to a compliment.
    WHAT THEN DO YOU WANT PEOPLE SAY YOU LOOK 30-40???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

ReputationRep:

I get the exact same thing, I think you shouldn't take it too hard, I mean, everyone always wants to say something when the opportunity arises. Anyway, if it's really bothering you, change your hairstyle maybe, idk I'm a guy so I'm not sure on how you can stop this. Maybe your seeing the wrong side to it, a young attractive pretty girl working, that's a definite gateway for comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pics or gtfo
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Someone had to say it...

I get the exact same thing, I think you shouldn't take it too hard, I mean, everyone always wants to say something when the opportunity arises. Anyway, if it's really bothering you, change your hairstyle maybe, idk I'm a guy so I'm not sure on how you can stop this. Maybe your seeing the wrong side to it, a young attractive pretty girl working, that's a definite gateway for comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand the point you're trying to make, but, even if you can consider it a compliment (when it's not because you're trying to be taken seriously) imo it's rude for random strangers and taxi drivers to make comments on your appearance with no kind of context to it. I understand they may be trying to make conversation, but there are a million topics you can start a conversation with other than the (very wrong) opinion of the age of your passenger. They wouldn't tell an old person that they looked old and wrinkly so why should it be any different?

ReputationRep:
    Blame society
    I understand the point you're trying to make, but, even if you can consider it a compliment (when it's not because you're trying to be taken seriously) imo it's rude for random strangers and taxi drivers to make comments on your appearance with no kind of context to it. I understand they may be trying to make conversation, but there are a million topics you can start a conversation with other than the (very wrong) opinion of the age of your passenger. They wouldn't tell an old person that they looked old and wrinkly so why should it be any different?

ReputationRep:

I feel for you.

People shouldn't comment in this way. You would never tell somebody they look old and haggard so why tell them they look prepubescent.

12? That is so rude.

It is essentially saying that you don't look like a 'real' woman. I understand this must hurt.

(Original post by stefano865)
    I feel for you.

People shouldn't comment in this way. You would never tell somebody they look old and haggard so why tell them they look prepubescent.

12? That is so rude.

It is essentially saying that you don't look like a 'real' women. I understand this must hurt.
    I know, especially if it's your customer!

Thank you for understanding that I don't appreciate being told I look like a child when I'm a fully grown woman of 5'7'' :rofl:

Maybe, late teens, slightly more acceptable; but still, why comment on it? Shut your mouths

I bet all the people laughing above wouldn't appreciate being told they looked like little boys.
    Regardless to say his taxi firm got a complaint about him.

ReputationRep:
    I know, especially if it's your customer!

Thank you for understanding that I don't appreciate being told I look like a child when I'm a fully grown woman of 5'7'' :rofl:

Maybe, late teens, slightly more acceptable; but still, why comment on it? Shut your mouths

I bet all the people laughing above wouldn't appreciate being told they looked like little boys.
    Regardless to say his taxi firm got a complaint about him.
    I don't know then, maybe be more assertive in the way you respond back to them? No point in crying about it if you won't do or say anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know then, maybe be more assertive in the way you respond back to them? No point in crying about it if you won't do or say anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Normally I just say something like 'that was a random comment' and they shut up tbf.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.