Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

People always comment on young I look and it's annoying :@ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The thing is my hair is always straight and always up, so I never wear it down or wear curls in it either.

I wear a lot of black and dark colours too. Not black as in gothic, just as in normal black walking jackets, leggings, gloves, bags etc.

Even my blue dresses are dark blue.

Idk lol, maybe it is my make up

Perhaps see a pro. Amazing what can be done.

I guess you could say...

'Thank you, I have just been signed by a modelling agency'.

That would shut them up.

(Original post by YaliaV)
    Yeah, but s/he is probably just very short. Short people often look young. Looking 25 when you're 40 would be great, but looking 12 when you're 21 would be sh!te.
    I'm 5'7''...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'7''...
    Do you have small features? Do you dress very young?

Do you have small features? Do you dress very young?
    How would you define 'small features'?
    No, I wear mostly dark blue and black

ReputationRep:
    How would you define 'small features'?
    No, I wear mostly dark blue and black
    I don't know - I'd have to see a pic. Maybe make-up would make you look older if you don't wear any.

I don't know - I'd have to see a pic. Maybe make-up would make you look older if you don't wear any.
    I'll PM you a pic of me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but s/he is probably just very short. Short people often look young. Looking 25 when you're 40 would be great, but looking 12 when you're 21 would be sh!te.
    To be honest, I doubt she looks 12, anyone who said that to her is probably exaggerating for whatever reason. But what do I know? I'm just a thirsty lemon...

My internet keeps messing up. I won't send a pic anyway but I appreciate you trying to help. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    My internet keeps messing up. I won't send a pic anyway but I appreciate you trying to help. Thank you
    No problem. It might be annoying now, but you'll like looking young when you're over 25!

No problem. It might be annoying now, but you'll like looking young when you're over 25!
    Thank you

I'll be very happy if they're still saying it when I'm 40 haha

ReputationRep:
    I look young in photos but older in person.

I think it's great to look youthful!

ReputationRep:
    No, it's rude. I wouldn't dream of making comments on people's appearances out of nowhere.
    When you're older, you'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    you should enjoy your youthful looks while you can. before you know it time and gravity will take their inevitable toll...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you should enjoy your youthful looks while you can. before you know it time and gravity will take their inevitable toll...
    You're a cheery soul

ReputationRep:
    Nearly everyday or at least every week I will be at work and one of either my colleagues or a customer or a cashier or even a taxi driver will make a comment, out of nowhere, about how young I look and it's really starting to bug me

I'm 21, pay all my own bills and I'm financially independent aswell as being halfway through a masters degree yet I am being told that I look anywhere from 12-18 depending on the person. Frankly I'm getting rather of sick of it and it's quite irritating. What should I say back?
    I have the same issue and I'm 22!!! I take it as a compliment, although I'm short so that's another issue too!!

(Original post by MountKimbie)
    I look young in photos but older in person.

I think it's great to look youthful!
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    When you're older, you'll understand.
    (Original post by the bear)
    Being told that I look 17/18 is passable

Being told that I look like a 12 year old girl is not acceptable, especially not from someone I am paying

Would you like it if someone told you you looked like a little boy?

ReputationRep:
    Being told that I look 17/18 is passable

Being told that I look like a 12 year old girl is not acceptable, especially not from someone I am paying

Would you like it if someone told you you looked like a little boy?
    I dig it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Debbie_KB)
    I have the same issue and I'm 22!!! I take it as a compliment, although I'm short so that's another issue too!!
    This is what I'm finding too. I'm 5ft and 27 in a months time. Almost everyone thinks I'm in my early 20s. Apart from some guy I once dated who thought I was 27 when I was actually 24. (yes, he actually said that)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a male in my twenties..if people actually use their minds/interact with me they get my age correctly. Or they guess a few years older which is nice..

Can you imagine..I went to a job interview once and was walking through reception and someone asked me if I was coming to meet a family member on my way from school? AN INTERVIEW. I was like...nope I'm here for interview..and even at that point I don't think it registered, the woman just looked at me like 'aww bless'

It's not an issue, I mean yeah it can be annoying. But it's their problem not ours?

I know where you are coming from though, I really do. I've got to that point where I just have to ignore them.

People will always have something stupid/irrelevant to say..if not your age it'll be something else, if not that..something else etc

ReputationRep:
    Just smile sweetly at them and say ' I'm flattered, I'm aiming to look 18 when I'm 40.'

I don't think they mean to offend ; in fact they probably mean it as a compliment if they're over 25 themselves. Most women are very quickly desperate to look younger than they are.

Once they hear you talk and by your cool reaction and sense of humour they'll soon appreciate your maturity (and intelligence too.)
    Just have a laugh about it with them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.