Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    there was an interesting trig question on the AQA C4 last week :

if secx + tanx = -5

show that

secx - tanx = -0.2
    That question looks horrible haha, hope we don't get anything like that!

ReputationRep:

if secx + tanx = -5

show that

secx - tanx = -0.2
    as with most stuff like this, you get it once you play around with it for long enough

I did it by working back from the -0.2 equation, mainly just using tan^2 + 1 = sec^2

Edit: after doing some more C4 papers, we generally get way more difficult things to solve than this anyway

ReputationRep:
    Guys how much time do we have for the comprehension paper (paper b)? I've been told that it's an hour and a half, but in every past paper, it says that it's "up to an hour" :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine149)
    Guys how much time do we have for the comprehension paper (paper b)? I've been told that it's an hour and a half, but in every past paper, it says that it's "up to an hour" :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    an hour

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's an hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kratos1234)
    I'm studying independently so I just had a quick question about the comprehension part, should I read the whole insert as soon as I get the Paper after finishing Paper A or should I read it as I'm going through the Paper. It just looks really long and offputting and seen as though I'm a really slow reader I don't want to mock up my exam, I have to get an A*.
    Personally I'd just read through it first, you don't need to but there's no harm in it since you have more than enough time to complete the whole paper in the hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kratos1234)
    I'm studying independently so I just had a quick question about the comprehension part, should I read the whole insert as soon as I get the Paper after finishing Paper A or should I read it as I'm going through the Paper. It just looks really long and offputting and seen as though I'm a really slow reader I don't want to mock up my exam, I have to get an A*.
    I have been told to read through comprehension first and then attempt questions (this is because you have plenty of time to do the paper) HOWEVER I never do this, I look at what's roughly in the article, I look at the questions (how long it is, what type of questions there etc.) then start on the first Q.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position tbh- What I've done on past papers is read as I answer to start with, answering as much as I can (but the annoying thing is that the questions aren't always in the order of the comprehension). Then, I read whole sections of a text that I think are relevant to the questions that I still cannot answer, and if absolutely necessary, skim the whole passage. With the comprehensions, I'm generally a slow reader, but, I also find that the information doesn't really stick, so it's just useless when it comes to answering questions unless I'm answering at the same time. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:

if secx + tanx = -5

show that

secx - tanx = -0.2
    it is not as bad as it looks really. Write secx as 1/cosx and tanx as sinx/cosx and then simplify and invert the the whole expression you will get cosx/(1+sinx)=-0.2
    from there multiply the denominator and the numerator of the fraction by (1-sinx) and the answer comes out.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please send me the 2015 paper and mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalC)
    pm me your email

ReputationRep:
    http://vle.woodhouse.ac.uk/topicdocs.../C42015May.pdf

(Original post by CapitalC)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For an A* do you need to get 90% in C3 and C4 combined or 90% in BOTH C3 and C4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DezzleMon)
    For an A* do you need to get 90% in C3 and C4 combined or 90% in BOTH C3 and C4?
    C3 and C4 should average to 90 so if you get for example 99/100 in C3 and 83/100 in C4 that is an A*

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sixthform.m34maths.com/A-...c4/c411jaQ.pdf
    http://www.sixthform.m34maths.com/A-...4/c411jaMS.pdf

can someone explain 7ii to me

i expand to get 5-5e^-2t?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  397.4 KB

It's slightly different to the mark scheme as they simplified to v=5(1-e^-2t) before subbing in, but either works. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Differentiate v, then rearrange to show that it's the same as the given dv/dt.

Alternatively, integrate dv/dt, and rearrange to get v

ReputationRep:
    ahh thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Yo guys Im feeling confident about this exam but have found one question that is bugging me. In 8iii) u have to get the equation into a certain form with minus signs and such. I can get to the step before this but cannot get it into the final form and the mark scheme dosnt even explain it which is nice. If anyone can explain would be very helpful http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/C4_PaperA_BJan13.pdf

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.