Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the January 2004 ICT5 PAPER.
    I just need to know, what was the 20 mark question at the end about?

So I can plan which will 20 mark question will come in the exam tomorow.

I know that:
    JUNE 03 - role of database administrators
    JAN 03 - software solutions
    JUNE 02 - standardising benefits

ReputationRep:
    please, I desperately need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the AQA board?

If it is, AQA haven't released the question paper or mark scheme yet, though it may be in the exam report for the January series of exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Is this the AQA board?

If it is, AQA haven't released the question paper or mark scheme yet, though it may be in the exam report for the January series of exams.

yeah it is aqa, its june and they havent released the jan paper :mad:

ReputationRep:
    According to the AQA Jan 2004 examiner's report, it seems to be on software evaluation.

Question 10
    Candidates appeared to be well prepared for this type of question, and generally they attempted to
    address every bullet point given in the question.
    The standard of responses to this question varied greatly. Most candidates could identify at least one
    method of obtaining information about client need and could relate this to the kind of information that
    would be gathered. Candidates could either list several evaluation criteria, or name and describe
    them, however only the stronger candidates could relate these to the given context. Weaker
    candidates tended to struggle and wrote about how to relate possible solutions to client need, with
    many examples which simply reworded the question. Nearly all candidates were able to discuss the
    production and content of the final report.
    Candidates again seemed to think that acquiring a software solution equates to the choice between
    generic, off the shelf, and bespoke software, and using these terms as criteria for the selection of the
    most appropriate software. Candidates must realise that, regardless of which source of software is
    used, evaluation criteria must still be identified to decide which solution is the most appropriate, and
    that these criteria must be appropriate to the context of the solution.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea on what it could be on this time? Networks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dishwasher)
    According to the AQA Jan 2004 examiner's report, it seems to be on software evaluation.

Question 10
    Candidates appeared to be well prepared for this type of question, and generally they attempted to
    The standard of responses to this question varied greatly. Most candidates could identify at least one
    method of obtaining information about client need and could relate this to the kind of information that
    would be gathered. Candidates could either list several evaluation criteria, or name and describe
    them, however only the stronger candidates could relate these to the given context. Weaker
    candidates tended to struggle and wrote about how to relate possible solutions to client need, with
    many examples which simply reworded the question. Nearly all candidates were able to discuss the
    Candidates again seemed to think that acquiring a software solution equates to the choice between
    generic, off the shelf, and bespoke software, and using these terms as criteria for the selection of the
    most appropriate software. Candidates must realise that, regardless of which source of software is
    used, evaluation criteria must still be identified to decide which solution is the most appropriate, and

Yeah it looks like it is, oh thank you very much. You get rep
    This means software evaluation wont come up tomorow or role of database admin. I wonder what will, does anyone have any idea, which 20 mark question will come up?
    I have this feeling that standardisation or protocols will come up

ReputationRep:
    AAArgghh!!! EE, I am revising this stuff at the moment....I've covered about half of the course....then I have the two past papers to do (I've done june 02)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea on what it could be on this time? Networks?

Yeah it could be on distributed networks, which I dont even know what it is. I know what LAN, WAN, peer to peer and server ones are.
    But what is distributed networks????
    I need an A in this exam, to get an over all A, so I really need to do well.

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    Oh, uhm...what can I remember..?
    Distributed networks? They don't exist, there's distributed systems and distributed databases.
    Distributed systems is where the processing is done at the workstation, rather than centrally, so that there is greater local control, which gives more autonomy to, say, local supermarket branches - to request a print job they don't have to access the central processing unit in head office.

Distributed databases is where the data tables are spread over a network, so a hotel branch could have a table for its own reservations, but all hotel branches will be able to see each other's reservations. And that's not the only way that you can have distributed dtbs, also:
    - online at host computer (central) but also available to remote locations. Like client/server
    - part of central database duplicated and placed on a remote computer
    - copies of entire database and DBMS duplicated and stored at each remote location

ReputationRep:
    Have you not got the `A` level ICT book by Heathcote, it tells u in there what a distributed processing and database is page 316

ReputationRep:
    http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/ict/ictres...Resoursces.htm

ReputationRep:
    Uuuuughhhh................
    I dislike this module vehemently...we have not been taught it well...Network accounting software!!???!!! *goes off to study*

ReputationRep:

Question 10

This is the question, we got given the paper:

10. An employment agency currently holds information about job seekers and job vacancies on an information system that is several years old. As a consultant, you have been asked to help this company look at alternative software solutions.
    discuss what you would do in order to produce a report for this company.
    your discussion should include:
    -how you will establish your client's needs
    -the criteria you will use to evaluate the possible solutions
    -how you will match software capabilities to your clients needs
    -the content of the evaluation report you willwrite for your client

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma123)
    This is the question, we got given the paper:

10. An employment agency currently holds information about job seekers and job vacancies on an information system that is several years old. As a consultant, you have been asked to help this company look at alternative software solutions.
    discuss what you would do in order to produce a report for this company.
    your discussion should include:
    -how you will establish your client's needs
    -the criteria you will use to evaluate the possible solutions
    -how you will match software capabilities to your clients needs
    -the content of the evaluation report you willwrite for your client
    And what were the type of things you put for this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    And what were the type of things you put for this question?
    No sorry, i didnt make myself clear, we were just given the paper by our teacher for revision, so i have not actually answered it.

ReputationRep:
    what is network accounting software, it doesnt make it clear anywhere

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.