ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Hey at least you did!
    Lol, i'll take it!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by frognation22)
    Unfortunately I wouldn't qualify for it, but I just thought it was great how schools like MIT give out these scholarships, or how Stanford offers free education to those who make under 125k U.S. Dollars! It's incredibly nice of them to do so.
    It's $75k for MIT. Stanford is $125k.

ReputationRep:
    Stanford would only do that for US citizens
    Ah yes forgot to mention that. But at least the international students could still apply for these full-ride scholarships. However, I don't know if the committee would favour domestic students over international students for them. Never been through the scholarship process so not very familiar with how it works for overseas students hm
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's $75k for MIT. Stanford is $125k.
    That's what they said lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frognation22)
    Ah yes forgot to mention that. But at least the international students could still apply for these full-ride scholarships. However, I don't know if the committee would favour domestic students over international students for them. Never been through the scholarship process so not very familiar with how it works for overseas students hm
    If you apply for that at Stanford, they take that in to account when deciding whether to actually admit you (and I can't imagine it's a positive so..)

ReputationRep:
    Student403 How often is it for intl studs to get a full ride ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Student403 How often is it for intl studs to get a full ride ?
    Completely depends where

ReputationRep:
    Good point Student403

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends where
    HYPS MIT STANFORD UCberkely georgetown, like most top ones
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    That's what they said lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://web.mit.edu/facts/tuition.html
    "For students with a family income under $75,000, the Institute ensures that scholarship funding from all sources will allow them to attend MIT tuition-free."

And this shows that even $75k households still have to make an $8k contribution.
    http://affordable.mit.edu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    HYPS MIT STANFORD UCberkely georgetown, like most top ones
    Can't speak for all of them as I didn't apply.

I know MIT doesn't care if you're intl or not. Princeton not too sure, Stanford definitely cares if you're intl

Idk cause I didn't apply for aid
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's a bit of an urban myth that students from averagely well off families don't have to pay anything, you have to be very poor to get a full ride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It's a bit of an urban myth that students from averagely well off families don't have to pay anything, you have to be very poor to get a full ride.
    Very true. Only school I can see being an exception is Stanford for domestic students. The only kid I know who has received a full-ride scholarship from MIT has a family that makes well less than $30k a year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://web.mit.edu/facts/tuition.html
    "For students with a family income under $75,000, the Institute ensures that scholarship funding from all sources will allow them to attend MIT tuition-free."

And this shows that even $75k households still have to make an $8k contribution.
    http://affordable.mit.edu
    Yeah but that's standard. The contribution usually involves working during term and doing some summer work.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Idk cause I didn't apply for aid
    Give me a tenner

ReputationRep:
    Give me a tenner
    :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    :rofl:
    Do you think your opinion of 'elite' American colleges will change if you don't get in?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yeah but that's standard. The contribution usually involves working during term and doing some summer work.
    Perhaps, but it's not really full-ride is it. I can't imagine the poorest UK students being told they had to earn £5k pa just to go to uni.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Shhh... we might be giving Cameron ideas...)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think your opinion of 'elite' American colleges will change if you don't get in?
    Even though the quote was meant for Student403, I don't see my opinion for schools I was not accepted to changing. (i.e. Columbia)

Yes, I am incredibly disappointed, but I don't feel entitled to acceptance, and I would not say I am one of those students who say "Well it's your loss Columbia! I never liked you that much anyway!" Because I do not look at it as its their loss.

I think it's more just acknowledging the fact that while yes, I might have fit the university well, they found somebody who fit THAT certain environment better than me. Who could contribute more to the university environment than I could. Aka the best of the very best. And at the end of the day, it is comforting to know that they chose someone else over me because perhaps they will contribute more to that university than I will be able to, and my passions, personality etc might be better suiting to another USA (or UK) university

ReputationRep:
    Was that for me or frog?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.