Turn on thread page Beta

Just a quick question (Emailing job application) watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've found the "perfect" (as far as they go) 9 month job to hopefully give me a step up/out of retail into something more substantial to enable me to save more money for starting Uni next year. Even if they don't keep me on afterwards, it will be a good source of experience for another medium-term temp job to last until then.

I only found out about the job on Thursday 3rd, and the deadline is (and I quote exactly word for word): Friday 4th March.

I sent the application by email (they're only accepting email applications.

And I got an auto-reply saying the recruiting manager is out of the office until Monday. It does give an alternative name/number to contact, but I don't know if I should phone them to double-check that the deadline wasn't midnight-going-into-Friday-4th rather than midnight-after-Frday-4th?

I'm guessing if the recruiting person is only contactable by email and she's not there, that I'm within the deadline as she won't bee able to read any of the applications (mine and others') until Monday anyway?

Probably answered my own question in there >_<
    Guess I'm just looking for reassurance, it's been a while since I applied for a job (been where I am now for almost 6 years, did get a couple of interviews elsewhere in that time but I just wasn't suitable). Even if I don't get this one, it's still a confidence boost feeling "able" to apply for something.

You'll be fine.

Employers are looking for the best candidates so if your cv/cover letter stands out, you'll still have the chance.

If not, they may offer you different positions you might be possibly interested in.

ReputationRep:
    An application deadline of "Friday 4th March" will mean close of business that day. As long as your application email was sent on or before the 4th you'll be fine. Good luck with it! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Phew! Guess I do occasionally have the tendency to obsess over small hiccups.

Now to find a way to word that should I be asked about weaknesses/"improvement opportunities" at interview

I also have a copy of the local paper's job pages to order in terms of deadlines - it makes a change for there to be anything there I'm capable of doing as most need relevant experience/qualifications, which is annoying when the posts are advertised as "entry level" *grumble grumble* - and plan to fire off a couple of applications a day.

Operation Escape Retail is GO!

(Original post by tiffin_bits)
    Phew! Guess I do occasionally have the tendency to obsess over small hiccups.

Now to find a way to word that should I be asked about weaknesses/"improvement opportunities" at interview

I also have a copy of the local paper's job pages to order in terms of deadlines - it makes a change for there to be anything there I'm capable of doing as most need relevant experience/qualifications, which is annoying when the posts are advertised as "entry level" *grumble grumble* - and plan to fire off a couple of applications a day.

Operation Escape Retail is GO!
    Entry level = 10 years of experience in similar job

Operation es... Okay. You have to teach me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bleh... Given the vagueness and basicness of the requirements in the job ad, I thought I'd at least be in with a chance. But nope, I do not meet the criteria

Ah well, might have to give this some more thought. Just feeling a little crushed because the role seemed an ideal step up/out for someone with retail experience.

(Original post by tiffin_bits)
    Bleh... Given the vagueness and basicness of the requirements in the job ad, I thought I'd at least be in with a chance. But nope, I do not meet the criteria

Ah well, might have to give this some more thought. Just feeling a little crushed because the role seemed an ideal step up/out for someone with retail experience.
    Good luck with the next one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.