Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a bit of info about myself, Im 21 and in my seconds year at DeMontfort Studying a media degree. I like the idea of going into teaching, possibly a history teacher as history is an interesting area for me and something which I have always enjoyed. However mostly I am drawn to having a job which can make such an important impact on a persons life, having made mistakes as school when I was young, i'd love to make sure people make the right choices. However, I and fully aware my Media Degree is completely unrelated to my History teacher hopes, my question is, is there no way whatsoever for me to get into teaching humanities with an unrelated degree? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snake__oil)
    Hi, a bit of info about myself, Im 21 and in my seconds year at DeMontfort Studying a media degree. I like the idea of going into teaching, possibly a history teacher as history is an interesting area for me and something which I have always enjoyed. However mostly I am drawn to having a job which can make such an important impact on a persons life, having made mistakes as school when I was young, i'd love to make sure people make the right choices. However, I and fully aware my Media Degree is completely unrelated to my History teacher hopes, my question is, is there no way whatsoever for me to get into teaching humanities with an unrelated degree? Thanks.
    You will usually be required to have a degree which has more than 50% of the target subject in it. History is not a shortage subject and even if you were to get a place on a training course, you would find the opposition for jobs from people with full history degrees to be pretty stiff. You need to look at the components of your degree and apply to a subject which you have qualifications in, media being the obvious choice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - this ^^. Once you have QTS you can technically also be asked to teach any subject, so there's every chance that you could teach history in future alongside other subjects. Do you have any qualifications in history (e.g. A Level)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.