Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've recently failed two modules in my final year which means I won't be able to graduate with honours this year. I can of course re-enrol next year and do another two modules or just accept a BA without the hons. The question I'm asking is, do you think it would be worth it to re-enrol for the hons? In terms of employability, does not having an hons really affect your chances, especially since i'm in Humanities, does it particularly matter? I'm not really looking for graduate jobs after uni. I'm more interested in internships but at the same time I'd like a degree of flexibility with my choices after uni.

I'm currently leaning towards not re-enrolling because of the higher debt I'd have and the fact that I hate my uni, but if my prospects are as bleak as other people say it is then I'd have no choice.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by geodude18)
    Hi,

I've recently failed two modules in my final year which means I won't be able to graduate with honours this year. I can of course re-enrol next year and do another two modules or just accept a BA without the hons. The question I'm asking is, do you think it would be worth it to re-enrol for the hons? In terms of employability, does not having an hons really affect your chances, especially since i'm in Humanities, does it particularly matter? I'm not really looking for graduate jobs after uni. I'm more interested in internships but at the same time I'd like a degree of flexibility with my choices after uni.

I'm currently leaning towards not re-enrolling because of the higher debt I'd have and the fact that I hate my uni, but if my prospects are as bleak as other people say it is then I'd have no choice.
    Not having honours means that you wont have a degree classification. If you're planning on applying to jobs that require a 2i or above then you wont be eligible.

If you don't like your university you can always accept the BA ordinary and then transfer your credits and re-do the equivalent of your final year with the Open university at a later date to top up to a classified degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Don't let just one year blight the rest of your life. You've paid a lot of money to get this far, and an ordinary degree is not going to do you any favours in getting internships. There is too much competition. Suck it up for just one year and make it a degree worth spending time and money on. It will never be this easy again to remedy the situation, nor as cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Don't let just one year blight the rest of your life. You've paid a lot of money to get this far, and an ordinary degree is not going to do you any favours in getting internships. There is too much competition. Suck it up for just one year and make it a degree worth spending time and money on. It will never be this easy again to remedy the situation, nor as cheap.
    I've done some research into internships I'd possibly be into (something in publishing like editorial?) and I haven't seen any of them (so far) that require a 2:1 or even a degree with honours. What they're mostly asking for is experience probably due to the fact that every Tom, **** and Harry has a degree now. Aren't most employers more concerned about experience than your qualifications anyway? Do degrees still mean anything these days?

ReputationRep:
    I've done some research into internships I'd possibly be into (something in publishing like editorial?) and I haven't seen any of them (so far) that require a 2:1 or even a degree with honours. What they're mostly asking for is experience probably due to the fact that every Tom, **** and Harry has a degree now. Aren't most employers more concerned about experience than your qualifications anyway? Do degrees still mean anything these days?
    In a world where every Tom, **** and Harry has a degree and usually with honours, then Eric with only an ordinary degree is going to be below them in the pecking order, and if they too have experience, and let's face it, the need for it is dinned into everyone from the word go, then Eric and his ordinary is going to come below Tom with his third + experience, **** with his 2.2 + experience and Harry with his 2.1 + experience. Put yourself in a recruiter's position and ask which you'd pick. I suggest you make some hypothetical inquiries with these firms offering internships and ask them if they agree with your assessment of the situation before you commit yourself to a course of action.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.