Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am holding offers from both UCL and LSE and am really struggling to choose between the two. I think I enjoy studying finance and want to pursue a career related to finance in the future, but Economics seems can provide me with a stronger numerical skill that is more suitable for future Master/PHD application in Finance, and I think UCL Economics is also a very reputable program. Can someone gives me some suggestion regarding how to choose between the two in terms of future academic study, employability, reputation, workload, studying environment, etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'd be inclined to say UCL Economics > LSE Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulalulalalula)
    I am holding offers from both UCL and LSE and am really struggling to choose between the two. I think I enjoy studying finance and want to pursue a career related to finance in the future, but Economics seems can provide me with a stronger numerical skill that is more suitable for future Master/PHD application in Finance, and I think UCL Economics is also a very reputable program. Can someone gives me some suggestion regarding how to choose between the two in terms of future academic study, employability, reputation, workload, studying environment, etc.
    do you mind saying what you gcse, as and a2 levels predictions are?
    how did you write your personal statement considering economics and finance merge but are two separate areas of study.

In my opinion regarding LSE Finance is that the course looks extremely fascinating to me at least. The question is are you interested in studying portfolio theory, the derivation of the blacks scholes model, market pricingand accounting of firms or are you more interested in global and macro economics, political economics, labour economics etc? My point is that economics is much broader and unless you are genuinely passionate about finance, aka your mind wanders off in the middle of lessons thinking about the current price of oil or you very enjoyably spend hours reading the business section of newspapers.The LSE Finance course is basically a merger of economics and finance, however, it will close your opinions for further study and job prospects outside finance. Many people say any LSE course will get you into Banking, however in my opinion only economics/finance will give you a good chance of getting in. LSE operably has better connections in financial circles, however, you can't tell me what alternative asset managers are right now you won't notice the difference at UCL. UCL Economics has made great placements into PHDs for economics finance etc so if you are more inclined or considering an academic careers, at least for just a few years I would take UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to study economics if you want to do an MSc in Finance? LSE is the way to go if you want into IB and especially doing a BSc in Finance will get you easily lot of internship in banking.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I decided to apply for straight Econ at LSE rather than Finance. Econ is more respected than a Finance degree and is more numerical(better for Masters/PHD). That said, Finance is still respected, especially from LSE. For IB, both UCL and LSE will open doors for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbybob12)
    do you mind saying what you gcse, as and a2 levels predictions are?
    how did you write your personal statement considering economics and finance merge but are two separate areas of study.

In my opinion regarding LSE Finance is that the course looks extremely fascinating to me at least. The question is are you interested in studying portfolio theory, the derivation of the blacks scholes model, market pricingand accounting of firms or are you more interested in global and macro economics, political economics, labour economics etc? My point is that economics is much broader and unless you are genuinely passionate about finance, aka your mind wanders off in the middle of lessons thinking about the current price of oil or you very enjoyably spend hours reading the business section of newspapers.The LSE Finance course is basically a merger of economics and finance, however, it will close your opinions for further study and job prospects outside finance. Many people say any LSE course will get you into Banking, however in my opinion only economics/finance will give you a good chance of getting in. LSE operably has better connections in financial circles, however, you can't tell me what alternative asset managers are right now you won't notice the difference at UCL. UCL Economics has made great placements into PHDs for economics finance etc so if you are more inclined or considering an academic careers, at least for just a few years I would take UCL.
    I did IB and achieved 42 last year. My IGCSE score is 5A*, 4A and 1B.

I originally intended to study economics, and applied to Cambridge, LSE and UCL, but was rejected by Cambridge... I wrote my PS mostly based on Economics, whereas I also wrote a lot of finance stuffs relating to economics (e.g. Behavioral Economics).

Comparing the two courses, I think I will choose the one that can better equip me with the financial and numerical skills. I am not indented to stay on the academic track, instead I want to work in the financial industry after I finish my Master/PHD study. I saw that the LSE modules have a lot of econ stuffs and econometrics, and people told me that Econ may be more suitable for government job, but finance is more suitable for business related jobs. Any comment on this?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering I am applying to my courses this year (September 2016) My GCSES are average like only a few As the rest Bs. However my predicted A level grades are A*A*A. will I be at a disadvantage applying for the LSE Finance course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.