Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted here before and now I found a workout routine that might work, that was suggested by someone on TSR. It is the 5x5 Strong lifts, but I also thought that I will do roughly 35 minutes of cardio on my off days, including some High intensity interval sprinting. My goal is to lose fat and become lean and muscular.
    Before I begin this, I need to mention that I haven't worked out before, so I am assuming that I cannot just jump into this straight away, so should I start really easy?
    Also I am doing this during a college year and I have no access to a gym out side of college. I have roughly 10 weeks to work out and then I have a two month holiday. What I mean is, is it worth it for me to go to the gym only for me to only do cardio for two months? ( by cardio I mean I can run outside)

Please help? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiThere8964)
    I posted here before and now I found a workout routine that might work, that was suggested by someone on TSR. It is the 5x5 Strong lifts, but I also thought that I will do roughly 35 minutes of cardio on my off days, including some High intensity interval sprinting. My goal is to lose fat and become lean and muscular.
    Before I begin this, I need to mention that I haven't worked out before, so I am assuming that I cannot just jump into this straight away, so should I start really easy?
    Also I am doing this during a college year and I have no access to a gym out side of college. I have roughly 10 weeks to work out and then I have a two month holiday. What I mean is, is it worth it for me to go to the gym only for me to only do cardio for two months? ( by cardio I mean I can run outside)

Hey! firstly, you're absolutely right about easing yourself in to this workout regime as it is intense- you don't want to cause damage to yourself before you've even started properly. secondly, it is worth it! it doesn't matter how many months you're going to do as it all contributes. :-) i'm sorry if I have misinterpreted your question, btw! you seem highly motivated and have a good plan so you'll definitely reach your goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nays4y3r)
    Hey! firstly, you're absolutely right about easing yourself in to this workout regime as it is intense- you don't want to cause damage to yourself before you've even started properly. secondly, it is worth it! it doesn't matter how many months you're going to do as it all contributes. :-) i'm sorry if I have misinterpreted your question, btw! you seem highly motivated and have a good plan so you'll definitely reach your goal.
    Thanks for the reply, and the compliments! :P You answered my questions correctly, so here comes a life of healthy living for me .
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone have a diet plan or just an idea for what I could follow while doing this routine? My main goal is to be ripped, just to be clear.
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:

You say you want to get "ripped" but unless you're carrying a decent amount of muscle on you - losing bodyfat will just leave you looking malnourished and skinny. Also doing cardio is not essential for fat loss, great for your general fitness but thinking plodding on a treadmill for an hour 3 times a week will shift bodyfat without super strict dieting is wrong. You need to get on a good beginner program, and start from there.

Just watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30lxmo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    You say you want to get "ripped" but unless you're carrying a decent amount of muscle on you - losing bodyfat will just leave you looking malnourished and skinny. Also doing cardio is not essential for fat loss, great for your general fitness but thinking plodding on a treadmill for an hour 3 times a week will shift bodyfat without super strict dieting is wrong. You need to get on a good beginner program, and start from there.

Just watch this video:
    Thanks for the advice and the video I understand the importance of weight training now. Would you say that getting ripped is simply following the 5x5 strong lifts with cardio and a strict diet or is it more complex?
    Thanks again for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice and the video I understand the importance of weight training now. Would you say that getting ripped is simply following the 5x5 strong lifts with cardio and a strict diet or is it more complex?
    Thanks again for the advice.
    No, because you cannot be "Ripped" unless you actually have some mass there first - you'll just look skinny and nobody will care about your abs or pecs if they are just there for the sake of it *See image*.

My advice is to get on 5x5 (Stronglifts is great), eat well - don't care about calories just make up your food with good protein (Meat, Fish, Eggs, Game, Undenatured whey), Good fats (Nuts, Eggs, Butter, Coconut/olive oils) and complex carbs (Fruits, Root veggies, Brown rice, Pasta). If you can't stop doing cardio just stick to 1/2 Mile runs for time (Far harder than 6 mile jogs) or Sprinting (Hill sprints, weighted vest). You'll look much better for it and feel much better.

(This is all coming from an ex-cardio obsessed boxer who ran 30 miles a week, did Russian kettlebells 3 times a week, and boxed 3 times a week all on a caloric deficit - I weighed 63KG at 5'10 and looked like I had cancer or something, great endurance and "Abs" but *****y everything else)

Name:  d617b9796dcbbd9c3008ed9e68d57908fda9913548b269c70f884ce4ee3867c7.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    No, because you cannot be "Ripped" unless you actually have some mass there first - you'll just look skinny and nobody will care about your abs or pecs if they are just there for the sake of it *See image*.

My advice is to get on 5x5 (Stronglifts is great), eat well - don't care about calories just make up your food with good protein (Meat, Fish, Eggs, Game, Undenatured whey), Good fats (Nuts, Eggs, Butter, Coconut/olive oils) and complex carbs (Fruits, Root veggies, Brown rice, Pasta). If you can't stop doing cardio just stick to 1/2 Mile runs for time (Far harder than 6 mile jogs) or Sprinting (Hill sprints, weighted vest). You'll look much better for it and feel much better.

(This is all coming from an ex-cardio obsessed boxer who ran 30 miles a week, did Russian kettlebells 3 times a week, and boxed 3 times a week all on a caloric deficit - I weighed 63KG at 5'10 and looked like I had cancer or something, great endurance and "Abs" but *****y everything else)

Name:  d617b9796dcbbd9c3008ed9e68d57908fda9913548b269c70f884ce4ee3867c7.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.9 KB
    Thanks a lot for the advice I really appreciate it. I will do the 5x5 stronglifts workout. I have a chubby physique (skinny-fat look), so will the resistance training make me a bit thinner or will I just keep getting larger and stronger?
    Thanks again for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)

Just watch this video:
    That's not completely false, he can still gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously because he is completely new to lifting, he just needs to make sure he isn't in too much of a deficit and his macros are on point.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the advice I really appreciate it. I will do the 5x5 stronglifts workout. I have a chubby physique (skinny-fat look), so will the resistance training make me a bit thinner or will I just keep getting larger and stronger?
    Thanks again for the help.
    You will certainly get leaner and lose the gut. If you are a total beginner it is possible to gain mass/strength and lose bodyfat simultaneously. Limit your carbs to 50-100g a day and eat maintenance calories - 3 cardio sessions a week will not kill you but keep it short an intense. You week could look like this:

M 5x5
    T Hill sprints 10 x 100m
    W 5x5
    T 2500m row max intensity for time
    F 5x5
    S 1.5 mile run for time.
    S Rest

If you are also looking for aesthetics gain, on bench day do dips after your workout, on press day do chin ups/pull ups or the other way round if you wish (If your grip is too pooped after pull ups do em on bench day etc). If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    You will certainly get leaner and lose the gut. If you are a total beginner it is possible to gain mass/strength and lose bodyfat simultaneously. Limit your carbs to 50-100g a day and eat maintenance calories - 3 cardio sessions a week will not kill you but keep it short an intense. You week could look like this:

M 5x5
    T Hill sprints 10 x 100m
    W 5x5
    T 2500m row max intensity for time
    F 5x5
    S 1.5 mile run for time.
    S Rest

If you are also looking for aesthetics gain, on bench day do dips after your workout, on press day do chin ups/pull ups or the other way round if you wish (If your grip is too pooped after pull ups do em on bench day etc). If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me.
    Thanks so much for you help, I feel really better about starting working out now thanks to your help, I appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.