Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will try not to make this too long.

I am 24 years old female from UK. I have GCSE's (11 A-C) and A Levels in English, Art and History (CCD). I left education at 18 because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I worked for a few years in supermarkets and other shops, then at 21 I used my savings to travel for 6 months in North America and Southeast Asia alone (it was a great experience and I got the travelling bug).

Then I came back to UK for 7 months to work, to try to leave as soon as possible because I really wasn't enjoying being at home. So in September 2014 I went to Indonesia for 2 weeks then went to Australia on a working holiday visa for a year, where I stayed in Sydney and had a GREAT experience, maybe best year of my life. I was just working but I had great friends and thoroughly enjoyed living in a beautiful city as my hometown in UK is very small and boring.

I lived and spent most of my time with South Americans, mostly from Chile and Argentina. It was this that made me appreciate the Spanish language, I started to learn a little in Australia thanks to my friends, I like the culture and the music and the warmth of the people. Anyway, in Australia I worked in a factory and I realised I don't want to be doing these kind of jobs my whole life, and really I should study something, with my friends encouraging me, and I am thinking it's a good idea.

After lots and lots of thinking, I researched about being a translator. Of course, the big problem is the huge gap between my skills now and eventually becoming a translator. My Spanish is very basic (in Buenos Aires I took classes a couple of weeks and I am level A.2, so pretty basic). I don't have any language A-Levels, I have only a GCSE in French at grade C, and my A-Levels are not great anyway.

What options do I have? This is the thing that interests me the most to study right now (I have a talent for art, but not sure I really want to study that). I have researched about Open University modules, Access Courses, doing a Spanish A-Level. but really I don't want to spend to much time on the pre-university part. I am 24 and feel like the time is ticking.

Any suggestions, ideas, is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djthorpe91)
    Hi, I will try not to make this too long.

I am 24 years old female from UK. I have GCSE's (11 A-C) and A Levels in English, Art and History (CCD). I left education at 18 because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I worked for a few years in supermarkets and other shops, then at 21 I used my savings to travel for 6 months in North America and Southeast Asia alone (it was a great experience and I got the travelling bug).

Then I came back to UK for 7 months to work, to try to leave as soon as possible because I really wasn't enjoying being at home. So in September 2014 I went to Indonesia for 2 weeks then went to Australia on a working holiday visa for a year, where I stayed in Sydney and had a GREAT experience, maybe best year of my life. I was just working but I had great friends and thoroughly enjoyed living in a beautiful city as my hometown in UK is very small and boring.

I lived and spent most of my time with South Americans, mostly from Chile and Argentina. It was this that made me appreciate the Spanish language, I started to learn a little in Australia thanks to my friends, I like the culture and the music and the warmth of the people. Anyway, in Australia I worked in a factory and I realised I don't want to be doing these kind of jobs my whole life, and really I should study something, with my friends encouraging me, and I am thinking it's a good idea.

After lots and lots of thinking, I researched about being a translator. Of course, the big problem is the huge gap between my skills now and eventually becoming a translator. My Spanish is very basic (in Buenos Aires I took classes a couple of weeks and I am level A.2, so pretty basic). I don't have any language A-Levels, I have only a GCSE in French at grade C, and my A-Levels are not great anyway.

What options do I have? This is the thing that interests me the most to study right now (I have a talent for art, but not sure I really want to study that). I have researched about Open University modules, Access Courses, doing a Spanish A-Level. but really I don't want to spend to much time on the pre-university part. I am 24 and feel like the time is ticking.

Any suggestions, ideas, is much appreciated!
    Ok - Don't worry about what other people might think about you being in uni at 25. 25 is NOT late by any stretch of the imagination. Many americans are commonly in uni at that age. I'd say contact some unis offering the course you want to do and if they wouldn't take you, contact some colleges about an access course.. Your GCSEs are very solid. Your experiences travelling abroad would help you with a language/culture course, your experience working in a shop would have given you lots of transferable skills, of which many would be useful in a language course.

There are many options after you a language course and it is highly employable, teaching, translation etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Ok - Don't worry about what other people might think about you being in uni at 25. 25 is NOT late by any stretch of the imagination. Many americans are commonly in uni at that age. I'd say contact some unis offering the course you want to do and if they wouldn't take you, contact some colleges about an access course.. Your GCSEs are very solid. Your experiences travelling abroad would help you with a language/culture course, your experience working in a shop would have given you lots of transferable skills, of which many would be useful in a language course.

There are many options after you a language course and it is highly employable, teaching, translation etc.

Thanks, I am not so worried about being the "old person" at university (although I tend to have lots of friends around 30 years old), I am just thinking if I have to wait until 2017 to do an access course or a levels, then spend 4 years at university (with a year abroad) and I will be maybe 30!

I was toying with the idea of doing the working holiday in New Zealand whilst I am still young, and wondering if I should do that this year for a year and apply for something to start for when I return to UK.

And after travelling a fair bit, the idea of staying in UK for 3 years is a little depressing! But I have to compromise somewhere. I was also thinking of doing a joint degree, like Spanish with International Relations or something

ReputationRep:
    i just searched about doing a Spanish A-level, it seems most places want you to have a GCSE in Spanish, at grade B. Would I really have to go back to do GCSE, then A Level? Is there another way?!

ReputationRep:
    i just searched about doing a Spanish A-level, it seems most places want you to have a GCSE in Spanish, at grade B. Would I really have to go back to do GCSE, then A Level? Is there another way?!
    There's probably a spanish access course.

ReputationRep:
    With respect to the idea of a year in New Zealand, you need to be careful about spending too much time out of the UK because it could affect your entitlement to a student loan. This is something you should definitely research before you go any further. It would be awful to put in a load of effort to getting to university, only to find that you can't afford to go.
    If the idea of spending the next few years in the UK doesn't appeal, you could consider studying abroad. Many European universities offer degrees taught in English and have no (or lower) tuition fees. Take a look at this for example:
    http://www.studyinholland.co.uk/cour...d_culture.html
    Some universities offer languages ab initio, but as you don't have any language qualifications at level 3, I think it would certainly increase your chances of getting an offer if you take Spanish A level, either through college, or by self-study

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I am not so worried about being the "old person" at university (although I tend to have lots of friends around 30 years old), I am just thinking if I have to wait until 2017 to do an access course or a levels, then spend 4 years at university (with a year abroad) and I will be maybe 30!

I was toying with the idea of doing the working holiday in New Zealand whilst I am still young, and wondering if I should do that this year for a year and apply for something to start for when I return to UK.

And after travelling a fair bit, the idea of staying in UK for 3 years is a little depressing! But I have to compromise somewhere. I was also thinking of doing a joint degree, like Spanish with International Relations or something
    I'm starting uni at 27 this year, some of the guys on my Access course are in their early 30's. Check out the geriatrics thread if you're worried.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post63192941

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I didn't know that about being outside of UK! I will look into that.
    Yes I researched about going to Uni in Europe, it would be so much cheaper, a good reason I didn't study before was because of the tuition fees here. Problem is I don't think I can study Spanish, the undergrad degrees taught in English are limited, but I need to search more. It would be an almost perfect situation if I could study in a foreign country!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.