Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently studdying a degree in drama, I am in my first year ans have decided the course is not for me. I have decided to change to a HND course starting from August. There are a few things I am curious about.

1. Will my tuition fee loan and maintanaince loan carry over or will I have to start paying back straight away?

2. What kind of financial support can I apply for while doing a HND? Is it the same as a Degree?

I have tried to find Answers online and by calling Student finance directly, but so far not much information has been given.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JCH6)
    Hi, I am currently studdying a degree in drama, I am in my first year ans have decided the course is not for me. I have decided to change to a HND course starting from August. There are a few things I am curious about.

1. Will my tuition fee loan and maintanaince loan carry over or will I have to start paying back straight away?

2. What kind of financial support can I apply for while doing a HND? Is it the same as a Degree?

I have tried to find Answers online and by calling Student finance directly, but so far not much information has been given.

Thanks
    1. loan repayments start the April following you leaving the course (if you earn above the thresholds) however depending on the date that you withdraw from your current course you might have been overpaid maintenance loans (because they pay for the term in advance if you leave at any point other than the week before your next loan repayment then you're likely to end up overpaid). SLC usually ask for the overpayment to be repaid immediately. Even if you withdraw in June/July you could end up with an overpayment as your loan is supposed to cover the summer holiday too (so if you're planning on finishing the year don't withdraw until August/Sept)

2. An HND funding is the same as a degree (as long as you didn't get awarded an equivalent qualification from your drama course - if you passed the first 2 years for example some universities will issue you a DipHE which is equivalent to an HND and so you wouldn't be able to get funding). Because you're in your first year this shouldn't be a problem but if you move to an HND and then want to take a 1 year top up to a degree then you'll be alright as long as you don't need to repeat any years of study. Your "false start" on your Drama course has used up your extra years funding.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...ide_1617_d.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1. loan repayments start the April following you leaving the course (if you earn above the thresholds) however depending on the date that you withdraw from your current course you might have been overpaid maintenance loans (because they pay for the term in advance if you leave at any point other than the week before your next loan repayment then you're likely to end up overpaid). SLC usually ask for the overpayment to be repaid immediately. Even if you withdraw in June/July you could end up with an overpayment as your loan is supposed to cover the summer holiday too (so if you're planning on finishing the year don't withdraw until August/Sept)

2. An HND funding is the same as a degree (as long as you didn't get awarded an equivalent qualification from your drama course - if you passed the first 2 years for example some universities will issue you a DipHE which is equivalent to an HND and so you wouldn't be able to get funding). Because you're in your first year this shouldn't be a problem but if you move to an HND and then want to take a 1 year top up to a degree then you'll be alright as long as you don't need to repeat any years of study. Your "false start" on your Drama course has used up your extra years funding.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...ide_1617_d.pdf
    Thnk you very much, this was helpful, I appreciate it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.