Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Power outage to one half of my mother's house? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, the power seems to be not working in one half of my mother's house; which I confirmed by plugging in several appliances I knew worked elsewhere in the home, and the previously working appliances did not turn on in one half of the house, but did in the other.

In the half of the house where there is no power, the light switches work. That is all.

Should she call an eletrician? What is the best course of action
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    As the title says, the power seems to be not working in one half of my mother's house; which I confirmed by plugging in several appliances I knew worked elsewhere in the home, and the previously working appliances did not turn on in one half of the house, but did in the other.

In the half of the house where there is no power, the light switches work. That is all.

Before you call an electrician, quickly check your fusebox and see if some of the switches have tripped. If they have, simply flick them up and go about your day. If they haven't and everything seems fine with the fusebox (ONLY FLICK THE SWITCHES, DO NOTHING ELSE, PLEASE), then it's time to call an electrician.

ReputationRep:
    You probably just need to reset the trip switches in your fuse box. Fail that, get an electrician in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)

(Original post by iEthan)
    Before you call an electrician, quickly check your fusebox and see if some of the switches have tripped. If they have, simply flick them up and go about your day. If they haven't and everything seems fine with the fusebox (ONLY FLICK THE SWITCHES, DO NOTHING ELSE, PLEASE), then it's time to call an electrician.
    It will probably look like this - and they should all be UP. If one is down press it UP, but it might switch off again. If it does that you have a problem in the circuit. If it stays up then you should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.