Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bristol for engineering mathematics: AAB or A*BB
    Nottingham for mechanical Engineering: AAB
    The Bristol course is accredited by the Institute of mathematics and its applications, and Nottingham by the Institue of mechanical engineers. I would like to be an engineer but the Bristol course still sounds so cool with robotics and coding!
    I love Bristol university and the city more than Nottingham but I prefer the Nottingham course.
    No idea which to firm and which to insure, does anyone have any advice or opinions??

ReputationRep:
    If you can, you should probably visit both cities for a day or so and see if you feel like you can live there for 3/4 years.

As for the courses, you can decide that online by reading.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be a little biased because I live in Bristol (close to the uni) and absolutely love it. Only moved here just over a year ago and seriously it is an awesome city. You will have a fab time but I am sure you'll have an equally good time at Nottingham. I have never been there but it is a popular uni so I am sure the City is also great and lively. In terms of cities, it depends on how far you want to be from home etc.

In terms of the courses, sounds like you can be an Engineer with both of those degrees. My brother did Mech Eng and now slightly regrets not studying Maths instead because he has a great passion for it. When applying for jobs he has no trouble finding engineering jobs but not succeeded in securing a Maths related job- as his degree doesn't have enough maths!
    So it really depends on what you want. Do you want to keep your options wide? Do you enjoy Maths? Why do you want to be an Engineer? Is it the maths element of engineering that interests you? Are you certain you want to be a mechanical engineer? Which city do you prefer? Remember you can always do a master (my bro did). If you decide to stick to Bristol, I am sure you can do a masters in either maths or engineering depending on your interest at the time? You may easily change your mind over the 3/4years at University. I personally think it is best to keep your options wide in this field.
    There is no right or wrong here so consider the above points, do a bit more research on both of the courses and make a decision.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara0928)
    I am going to be a little biased because I live in Bristol (close to the uni) and absolutely love it. Only moved here just over a year ago and seriously it is an awesome city. You will have a fab time but I am sure you'll have an equally good time at Nottingham. I have never been there but it is a popular uni so I am sure the City is also great and lively. In terms of cities, it depends on how far you want to be from home etc.

In terms of the courses, sounds like you can be an Engineer with both of those degrees. My brother did Mech Eng and now slightly regrets not studying Maths instead because he has a great passion for it. When applying for jobs he has no trouble finding engineering jobs but not succeeded in securing a Maths related job- as his degree doesn't have enough maths!
    So it really depends on what you want. Do you want to keep your options wide? Do you enjoy Maths? Why do you want to be an Engineer? Is it the maths element of engineering that interests you? Are you certain you want to be a mechanical engineer? Which city do you prefer? Remember you can always do a master (my bro did). If you decide to stick to Bristol, I am sure you can do a masters in either maths or engineering depending on your interest at the time? You may easily change your mind over the 3/4years at University. I personally think it is best to keep your options wide in this field.
    There is no right or wrong here so consider the above points, do a bit more research on both of the courses and make a decision.

All the best.
    Thankyou so much!!! I do love Bristol too, Clifton is just so nice! And yes you're probably right about the masters, I shall email Bristol and ask if I can! Thankyou again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanElinor)
    Thankyou so much!!! I do love Bristol too, Clifton is just so nice! And yes you're probably right about the masters, I shall email Bristol and ask if I can! Thankyou again
    You are very welcome Clifton is beautiful and very lively! I even went into the Engineering building today and it's epic. Yhh, definitely find out and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.