Brit awards to be less white next year, pledges chairman Watch

DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
Tunstall is 1/4 Chinese, and most likely ticked either white or mixed.

Tong I give you. So, it's Tong vs the entire MOBOs. If only four guys turned up to the MOBOs, I would understand better that there's a problem with blacks.

I would guess blacks are far overrepresented in British music, and acting, relative to their share of the population.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And there was silly old me thinking that music awards were made on the basis of performance and composition attributes, not colour of skin or ethnic origin. Well, you live and learn.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...herty#comments

Brilliant news. I think anything with less than 15% ethnic minorities is a disgrace. It should be as much about celebrating multiculturalism and diversity as about the quality of the works produced.
On the surface, it is brilliant news, but surely the important and deciding factor for deciding these awards should be the quality of the music produced? The tokenism seen here and in the Oscars does nothing to improve the lot of minority groups and is incredibly demeaning to them, suggesting that their achievements alone aren't enough to earn them success, but they must rely on their race or gender, the very qualities we shouldn't ever be judging them on. We should be encouraging those judging the Brit awards, the Oscars, hiring employees etc. to consider people on merit and merit alone - the way to do that is not tokenism or through quotas.
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
And there was silly old me thinking that music awards were made on the basis of performance and composition attributes, not colour of skin or ethnic origin. Well, you live and learn.
Indeed.
MildredMalone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aceadria)
I prefer Vishnu. There's something about blue skin (daba dee daba die).
Avatar sparked so many weird fetishes.
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MildredMalone)
Avatar sparked so many weird fetishes.
Neytiri :drool:
Truths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by generallee)
POC?

Is that the latest euphemism? You learn something every day.

Sounds like a mark you get on your face after you get the plague. Something tells me this one won't last very long!
This dad humour.

Tunstall is 1/4 Chinese, and most likely ticked either white or mixed.

Tong I give you. So, it's Tong vs the entire MOBOs. If only four guys turned up to the MOBOs, I would understand better that there's a problem with blacks.

I would guess blacks are far overrepresented in British music, and acting, relative to their share of the population.
Idk about acting but I guess they are for music :O
Maybe it's because MOBO is so important to pop culture. And I you really should have black people leading MOBO.
P0op
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't they have Black only award shows in Britain like in America?

Whites will never, in history been allowed such a thing.

Whites have been abolished. We're not allowed anything of our own because of you ****ing immigrants I wish you would all die.
OlaBabatunde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Excellent news
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is an issue here though... undoubtedly. Whether you like either genre or not, Grime and UK Rap have made leaps and bounds over the last year. With the majority of these artists being black, they have been making great music that loads of people have got behind and enjoyed. There is simply no recognition of this... why? You could say this is because the majority of them are independent, therefore serve no head of label/industry heads etc. to get their ego massaged etc. etc. but that's a whole other conspiracy.

It doesn't even come down to tokening in black artists... there has generally been amazing music made by black artists and yet no nominations. These awards should be representative of all popular music in this country at the present time.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Chinese population is about 25% the size of the black population - can you name a single British Chinese band or artist?
Good point .
As usual ignored
EccentricDiamond
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am huge fan of black music but Black british music is horrendous. its nothing but ****ing cheesy RnB and cringe worthy grime.
EccentricDiamond
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Castro Saint)
There is an issue here though... undoubtedly. Whether you like either genre or not, Grime and UK Rap have made leaps and bounds over the last year. With the majority of these artists being black, they have been making great music that loads of people have got behind and enjoyed. There is simply no recognition of this... why? You could say this is because the majority of them are independent, therefore serve no head of label/industry heads etc. to get their ego massaged etc. etc. but that's a whole other conspiracy.

It doesn't even come down to tokening in black artists... there has generally been amazing music made by black artists and yet no nominations. These awards should be representative of all popular music in this country at the present time.
Grime music is awful. I cringe when I hear it, grime music is an embarressment and should be ignored
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads