Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't choose between studying film production at Southampton Solent or Gloucestershire university, I've been accepted to both and they want similar results from me. Can anyone who studies at either uni tell me anything helpful about these courses?

ReputationRep:
    what did you end up taking? im in your similar situation
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi valevnz

Would you like me to get a current student from Solent's film production course to give you a rundown of how it is?

Cheers,

Mike
    Graduate Intern

ReputationRep:
    yes please, and thanks in advance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So I've got hold of Andrew, who's currently studying Film Production and I asked him to answer some questions, here is his response:

What do you like about the course?

The reason behind enjoying my course is that even though there is some theoretical units, a lot of the course is based on Production. Learning and adapting your skills through using the industry standard camera and equipment week in, week out. Building upon the theory we learn, we can start to understand why using this angle or this light we can create this effect. Also the Lectures are always there for you. They are always able to help and assist with your projects. If they can't then they can find someone that can.

Which units are particularly good and why?

I particularly enjoy the more practical units such as Cinematography, Editing and Sound. These units all coincide with each other, building and developing the story, keeping the audience immersed and this is what I have learnt. Within each of these units, the tutors who have worked or are continueing to the work in the industry know their subject matter. I feel comfortable when working with them throughout the different units. Which is always a huge plus when taking that big step in to a career you wish to part take in.

What do you not like about the course?

Written Assignments (haha) no but really there isn't really anything that I don't like.

What do you like/ not like about the city?

I am from a small island so moving to Southampton was a huge monumental step for me. But moving to a smaller city has really helped me to grow as an individual. There is plenty to do: from Pubs and clubs. But also things for people to do that aren't in to drinking, including Bowling and cinemas across the city, even a professional one in the University only £4 per student.

There are always nerves about I don't know much about film, I don't think I will be able to fit in. But the way I attacked that first day is.. everyone is in the same boat. You strive to be who you want to be. And if you are worried you don't know anything, research and go out and shoot on anything you have, even if it is just an iPhone. Yes you can create a film on an iPhone.

Hopefully this is of use to you, if you'd like to know more I can arrange for you to have a chat with Andrew?

Thanks,

Mike
    Graduate Intern

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.