Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gained weight - what to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, just looking for some advice.

I'm a 21 year old lad who never really has had a problem with my weight. For the last couple of years I've weighed the same. However over the last six months I've gained just over a stone and a half. Don't know why as my diet and lifestyle hasn't changed at all.

Last summer I wore 28'' waist jeans where as now I'm in 32''. Most of the weight has gone to my face and especially my belly. I used to have a flat stomach but I've got a gut on me now.

The thing is my BMI is still well within the normal range. What do you reckon I should do? Lose the weight or keep it? I can't decide as I've spent a small fortune on new clothes to fit my heavier body but I worry what if I keep gaining more and more and can't stop.

Any advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Just exercise. Why would you not want to experience your body at its physical best?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I love seeing users with negative rep. The memories.

This is just what happens. The body starts to catch up with your eating habits and it punishes you pretty badly. There's a scientific explanation for why this occurs, but I'll leave it out for now. Why would you want to keep the weight?

Lose it, lift some weights, take up a sport, do some cardio. Get active and get involved in the world of fitness.

ReputationRep:
    What/How much do you typically eat?
    How active are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahe)
    Hi all, just looking for some advice.

I'm a 21 year old lad who never really has had a problem with my weight. For the last couple of years I've weighed the same. However over the last six months I've gained just over a stone and a half. Don't know why as my diet and lifestyle hasn't changed at all.

Last summer I wore 28'' waist jeans where as now I'm in 32''. Most of the weight has gone to my face and especially my belly. I used to have a flat stomach but I've got a gut on me now.

The thing is my BMI is still well within the normal range. What do you reckon I should do? Lose the weight or keep it? I can't decide as I've spent a small fortune on new clothes to fit my heavier body but I worry what if I keep gaining more and more and can't stop.

Any advice appreciated.
    Your lifestyle has changed even if it's slightly. If you're worried then slowly get into exercising. Set yourself goals such as running 1 km for a week then slowly ramping up to 2 etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're current diet is, if you eat the same, then the exercise will only help you so much. :dumbells:

Alcohol can help put the pounds on too....

ReputationRep:
    Exercise and have a proper diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    What/How much do you typically eat?
    How active are you?
    I reckon I eat around 2500 - 3000 calories a day.
    Don't do much sport but do walk a lot.

ReputationRep:
    28' to 32'? That's still tiny isn't it? I'm 36'. Hip size isn't really a good indicator of fat %.

If your BMI is normal range there shouldn't really be a problem

ReputationRep:
    If you are unhappy as you are, eat less & move more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    Just exercise. Why would you not want to experience your body at its physical best?
    Coz I'm lazy haha. Plus if I'm still a healthy weight do I really need to lose it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.