Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a prospective IB student, and I'm really keen on having a career in the field of business at administration or finance/accounting. I'm planning on taking Business Management and Economics as my other two HLs. I'm confused as to whether I would need Math HL or not. I currently take standard math and I'm doing really good in it. During the summer, I plan on doing catch-up courses to meet the standards of math HL. Universities I've checked into don't specify what level of math they need for a degree in BBA/BCOM with a finance major.
    Do I really need Math HL or will Math SL do?

ReputationRep:
    Math SL will do. HL maths is only necessary for straight economics

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university you want to go to, since you said you checked and there are no explicit requirements then you don't NEED to do HL maths. However if you change your mind about the unis and want to aim at the top top unis like UCL or LSE, etc. then you definitely will need HL Maths as they do have HL Maths as requirements for almost all their business/econs courses. Even if you decide you would like to do Econs then you would need HL, finance is a maths focused course so HL may better prepare you for it. However HL is very tough so it also depends on how confident in maths you are and how willing you are to dedicate yourself to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.