The Student Room Group

Does the University you go to matter if it isn't Russell group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jneill
The "city", Guildford, is actually a town (despite having a university AND a cathedral). It is pretty small but very nice. And very easy to travel up to London if you wanted to.

Why does it "scare" you?

Sorry, yh you're right I meant town. Maybe scared isn't the right word, I'm more worried about the Guildford as I've heard it's pretty "dull"
Reply 21
Original post by ludd-sama
Sorry, yh you're right I meant town. Maybe scared isn't the right word, I'm more worried about the Guildford as I've heard it's pretty "dull"

I'm not a student so can't comment as such. But I'm quite sure 14,000 students can make their own fun even if Guildford isn't the nightclub centre of the southeast.

Edit to add: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/16-buzzing-bars-clubs-guildford-9992497
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Well... I guess you need to decide what's more important to you :smile: Brighton is an amazing place to be, but at the end of the day your degree is going to be important for the rest of your life.

Student life is also a little different to regular life, it is very social so you will party and have fun wherever you are, even if there's less "structured" entertainment like clubs and bars or whatever. It's really what you make of it. I know that going into a degree three years sounds like forever, but it goes past so quickly and by your third year you'll be working hard and won't have as much free time to go out any way.

Remember your social life doesn't end after you graduate - you've got the rest of your twenties to live in crazy places and have fun. If you've got a job you'll have more money to enjoy it too.

I definitely think the degree is more important to me, but I also realise that if i dislike the place I'm at, I won't want to stay there which would be the WORST case scenario.

But thanks for your advice though.
Hear me out, because I know the whole Russell group/not Russell group debate is a touchy issue.

As a lot of people seem to agree, employers will probably not know the exact ranking of your university, regardless or whether it's Russell group or not (apart from Oxbridge obviously). But they do know which universities are Russel Group regardless of their ranking.

So if I'm going to go to choose two universities that aren't Russel group, does it even matter which university is ranked 15th and which is ranked 20th if employers probably won't even know the difference?

Honestly I'd choose the uni you like. Uni rankings change and if you're concerned about prestige I don't think the difference between 15 and 20th will make a huge difference, nor do I imagine all employers know which unis are in the Russell Group?
I definitely think the degree is more important to me, but I also realise that if i dislike the place I'm at, I won't want to stay there which would be the WORST case scenario.

I think you have to go in to it with a degree of pragmatism - no university course or location is going to be 100% ideal. There's upsides and downsides to everywhere. Wherever you go you will meet people and have fun :h:

Personally I think loving the course and not liking the location is a better choice than hating the course and loving the location :dontknow:

If you find it dull then Waterloo is just down the tracks.
Reply 26

Did you see my edit?

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/16-buzzing-bars-clubs-guildford-9992497
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Well... I guess you need to decide what's more important to you :smile: Brighton is an amazing place to be, but at the end of the day your degree is going to be important for the rest of your life.

Student life is also a little different to regular life, it is very social so you will party and have fun wherever you are, even if there's less "structured" entertainment like clubs and bars or whatever. It's really what you make of it. I know that going into a degree three years sounds like forever, but it goes past so quickly and by your third year you'll be working hard and won't have as much free time to go out any way.

Remember your social life doesn't end after you graduate - you've got the rest of your twenties to live in crazy places and have fun. If you've got a job you'll have more money to enjoy it too.

20s?

Lacking ambition
All of the RG are very good, however there are places outside of it that are also up to standard.

If you go to Lancaster or Surrey(non RG) who are top ten you're going to have much better prospects than someone going to a place outside the top 100, so yes the uni you go to is still important.
My daughter has firmed Surrey, insurance choice is Birmingham. Liked everything about both uni's course is most important to her. She went for Surrey as the class sizes are much smaller. Plenty of places for eating in Guildford and easy to go out in London for a night out. Didn't cross her mind if uni is RG or not. Needs AAB for Surrey and ABB for Birmingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending