Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you plan for the future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't like to as every time I do it gives me an existential crisis.

ReputationRep:
    I do plan ahead and have expectations of myself but I don't take it too seriously if something goes in the other direction as you just don't know what tomorrow will hold as long as I am trying my best then I am happy.

ReputationRep:
    planned until 2050

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE planning for the future!
    It keeps me focused because I know my objective. I usually have a rough outline of my future: go to university, study abroad in Europe, earn my masters, get my own apartment, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I like to plan things in advance but not too far into the future. The only thing I have fully planned out for the future is my wedding. Everything else in the future I only have a rough idea on or I'm just gonna make it up as I go along

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have a 25 page career plan. It's full of possible career routes, specific jobs, wage information, career profiles and contingency plans for if I don't make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickles)
    I do an occasional bit of planning for the immediate future, but don't really think too far ahead - is it important to?

What about you?
    Pretty much my whole mindset is on the end game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Pretty much my whole mindset is on the end game.
    Do you forget to live in the present though?

:beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Do you forget to live in the present though?

:beard:
    Deeeeeeep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickles)
    I do an occasional bit of planning for the immediate future, but don't really think too far ahead - is it important to?

What about you?
    Small games will leave you with a disappointing life.

Make long term plans with short term adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    Not a lot. I have a very like very basic ''future plans'' but I don't really do anything in concrete.

I very much live within the current moment I guess/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I have a 25 page career plan. It's full of possible career routes, specific jobs, wage information, career profiles and contingency plans for if I don't make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was going to troll you, but I appreciate this answer.

You seem like a serious guy.

This is the best approach in my opinion.

Only thing I'm wondering is if your goals are well-defined?

I have found that for goals that I have set that aren't based on something significant (which also has to be defined) I get demotivated after a while, or indulge in existential crises.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BarryBeTrippin)
    I was going to troll you, but I appreciate this answer.

You seem like a serious guy.

This is the best approach in my opinion.

Only thing I'm wondering is if your goals are well-defined?

I have found that for goals that I have set that aren't based on something significant (which also has to be defined) I get demotivated after a while, or indulge in existential crises.
    Yes, I have pretty well defined goals. What I do is think big picture about what I'd like to do, where I'd like to be etc then drill down on how to actually get there. Of course, life bears it's ugly face every once in a while but that's to be expected. As long as I'm working towards something that I'll be able to create some kind of value from (whether economic, personal etc) I find it keeps me sort of grounded.

The only issue I find is that sometimes I can slip into dreaming about the future too much instead of being in the present but I guess that's just who I am haha

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.