Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year of university and realized that I haven't made any meaningful friendships, whilst I feel like everyone around me has a blooming social life. I have always been extroverted and have never had problems making friends, (moved to so many different schools and barely ever felt like I was struggling to fit in). This has had a huge toll on my self esteem and feel alone and isolated. I have tried to make more friends but they have either shunned me or just made better friendships with other people on the way. There are a few people I know better than others but this is definitely not the life I pictured at university. I cannot see myself living through another 2 and a half years of this if it continues. Does anyone have any advice, or similar stories I might relate to?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by millie334325)
    I am in my first year of university and realized that I haven't made any meaningful friendships, whilst I feel like everyone around me has a blooming social life. I have always been extroverted and have never had problems making friends, (moved to so many different schools and barely ever felt like I was struggling to fit in). This has had a huge toll on my self esteem and feel alone and isolated. I have tried to make more friends but they have either shunned me or just made better friendships with other people on the way. There are a few people I know better than others but this is definitely not the life I pictured at university. I cannot see myself living through another 2 and a half years of this if it continues. Does anyone have any advice, or similar stories I might relate to?
    Are you a part of any societies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millie334325)
    I understand what you mean but don't get worried! I've found I actually get along better with people in my anime society or in my job than most people in my class. Join a society it's a lot of fun and you meet people that share something that you do. For me it's Anime and Manga. I also did a programme called Headstart at uni where I made friends from different subjects and I get along with them more and regularly meet them for lunch weekly. I get along with them more and have found some good friends in them. Just like your first year the next will go by just as fast. Have you kept in contact with any older friends? I still meet up with mine whenever we all have time whether together or one at a time but we make that time for each other I've had times when I've sat down and someone else as on the same table and we end up talking during our lunches and when we see each other we catch up or smile hello just simple things that makes everything easier

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, this is something that happens all the time. Those people you are closer with, make them closer, invite them out or round your place to hang out. While you may not have many friends, i personally think its better to have one or two really strong ones than a massive horde of people.

With me for instance, i have three really close friends, one of which is the girlfriend of one of my other friends. I got them by just asking to hang out doing whatever, we then found we shared some interests, especially when it comes to Doctor Who. While i do know of people with a lot more friends, i feel that i'm better off than them because, with these three people, i can talk about anything and know that they'll be there for, as i would for them.

If you want to find others though, your first port of call should be the societies, univeristies have massive amounts of societies, so find one that spike your fancey, and go join it. It doesn't matter that its half way through the year, they are always looking for more members, hell i joined one this week. Just be yourself, and be open to doing stuff, even if its something you don't necessarily enjoy a lot. For me, that was playing FIFA.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.