The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do A-Level Maths in 1 year and should I do it?

I know I keep posting about this subject but I keep going between 'I need to do it' and 'I don't need to do it'.
Is it possible for a GCSE B Maths student to do A-Level Maths in 1 year. I've done some C1 stuff and it was quite easy. I didn't do it because I originally wanted to do medicine but I'm not cut out to be a doctor so I've changed plans to either something with chemistry or in finance. Most chemistry courses don't need A-Level Maths but economics courses do.
I'm wondering if it's possible considering my other subjects (biology, chemistry and history) and if I should even bother, do I need A-Level Maths to access the world of finance?
Original post by xxVENUSx
I know I keep posting about this subject but I keep going between 'I need to do it' and 'I don't need to do it'.
Is it possible for a GCSE B Maths student to do A-Level Maths in 1 year. I've done some C1 stuff and it was quite easy. I didn't do it because I originally wanted to do medicine but I'm not cut out to be a doctor so I've changed plans to either something with chemistry or in finance. Most chemistry courses don't need A-Level Maths but economics courses do.
I'm wondering if it's possible considering my other subjects (biology, chemistry and history) and if I should even bother, do I need A-Level Maths to access the world of finance?

Coming from my experience, I am doing AS Further Maths and A2 Maths this year, so I am still taking 6 Maths exams as you would be.

It is a lot of hard work to balance the A2 and the AS in Maths, especially considering the A2 builds upon AS knowledge, so you must make sure that you understand key parts from AS before starting A2. This might be difficult to acheive in only one year (possibly less than a year considering exams are in May/June).

Some Universities I applied to actually mentioned they prefer Maths being taken over two years and gap years avoided, for the reason that if you were to have an entire year without Maths, you essentially become "rusty" by the time you start the course. If you were to take Maths in a year, then possibly Further Maths the next year might not be a bad option to continue your Maths learning.

This is only one side of the argument however, I bet someone will jump on here to give other reasons for taking Maths in a year :tongue:. I have seen people do it, but I personally would not go for it myself.
Reply 2
You would find a level maths taught a struggle if you got a B (my college requirements was A) so it probably isn't wise to do it one year but some university courses and higher apprenticeships( where you do a degree whilst working and the company pay for the fees whilst you get a salary) ask for physics A-level this wouldnt be so hard providing of course you met the gcse needs for physics
Reply 3
Oh dear God. I'm in the exact position you are. I initially picked maths but dropped it midway through the year in a whim and regretted it ever since. I go into a college meeting in two days to decide which A level I want to do since I'm adamant about dropping psychology and I only got an in GCSE maths. Dying to do maths but in one year i don't know if they'd let me or if I'd even be able to cope since I hate revision and never revise.
Reply 4
You really should'nt in one year unless you got an A* at GCSE, even then its hard for most in two years, never mind one
Reply 5
I think it's completely possible. My friend got an E in maths in his first year, retook all his as units alongside A2 and came out with a B. Completely possible, just need to work very hard. I'd suggest it's possible, it doesn't even matter what grade you got at GCSE. Work hard, set yourself a target everyday and do all past papers available. What I did with a level maths is that I did 2 hours a day and then went through Solomon papers first, especially with C3 and C4. Although C4 was hard, I found out when I did the proper past papers 2 months before i sat my exam; I was able to do it relatively alright. Go on exam solutions or khan academy, they're very good for maths. Exam solutions is tailored for a level maths tho, if you want to ensure the highest grade; do wider reading. What I mean by this, is look at different exam boards and do their questions. The more practice at maths with new and same questions, the easier the exam will be. But if you want to the whole a level in a year, ideally you would want to finish the AS content by November and A2 by April to give you time for past papers. You see people getting A* in maths, no it's not because of natural ability; it's because they revise effectively. To master Maths for a level, do every possible question which could come up in your exam from all exam boards. Good luck with your studies!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest