Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an International student looking to apply for Accounting and finance at university of bath and uni of Strathclyde. The dilemma i'm currently facing right now is that I meet the entry requirements of these universities but not the math subject req.

I completed my International Baccalaureate and only scored a level 5 in HL Math, but on the websites of these university, it is indicated that a level 6 is needed. However, my final IB score clears the entry requirements by 1 or 2 points.

Therefore, should I still apply to these universities? And how unlikely/likely are they to accept/reject my application if I do decide to apply to them?

I'm also looking at applying to LSE for accounting. On their website, it is stated that scores of 6 6 6 at HL subjects are required. Whereas my HL scores are a 7 6 5. Considering that I just met their entry req for IB score as well (scored the same as what they put on their website), should I bother trying to apply to LSE, or should I save that 1 option slot for another uni?

I'm asking these questions because from my understanding, UK universities take into considerations subject requirements and HL subject scores very seriously, and plays a significant role in the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendantys)
    I'm an International student looking to apply for Accounting and finance at university of bath and uni of Strathclyde. The dilemma i'm currently facing right now is that I meet the entry requirements of these universities but not the math subject req.

I completed my International Baccalaureate and only scored a level 5 in HL Math, but on the websites of these university, it is indicated that a level 6 is needed. However, my final IB score clears the entry requirements by 1 or 2 points.

Therefore, should I still apply to these universities? And how unlikely/likely are they to accept/reject my application if I do decide to apply to them?

I'm also looking at applying to LSE for accounting. On their website, it is stated that scores of 6 6 6 at HL subjects are required. Whereas my HL scores are a 7 6 5. Considering that I just met their entry req for IB score as well (scored the same as what they put on their website), should I bother trying to apply to LSE, or should I save that 1 option slot for another uni?

I'm asking these questions because from my understanding, UK universities take into considerations subject requirements and HL subject scores very seriously, and plays a significant role in the application.
    Contact the relevant departments directly and ask whether they would consider you. Be prepared to be disappointed but hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I agree with the advice to contact universities directly, as only they can give you a definite answer. They will give you a really clear indication as to whether it's worth applying or not- they won't commit to giving an offer without seeing the whole application, but if it's not worth you applying, or is a long shot the university will make this very clear.

You can apply to up to 5 universities, and if you're applying with known results, you'd have to have something fairly egregious in your application to be rejected with known results that meet the entry requirements. So having 1/2 more risky choices isn't necessarily a problem so long as you have 3 safer choices. As you know your results, you also don't need insurance choices, so having 2 rejections wouldn't be such a big deal.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I completed my International Baccalaureate and only scored a level 5 in HL Math, but on the websites of these university, it is indicated that a level 6 is needed.
    I have a feeling they will be strict on the need for a 6 in Maths, if that is a stated requitement. But as others have said, contact the unis to be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.