Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In total, how much would a used porsche Boxter cost per year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some used porsche Boxters go for about £10,000. I found two insurance quotes for about £6,000. Including insurance and maintenance, how much would it cost in total per year to run one? I'm 19 just passed my test

ReputationRep:
    If the only model Porsche you can afford is a Boxter (and a used one at that) then you should really consider something else. There's a good reason why those things devalue the way they do.

And you'll need very deep pockets. A 10k Boxter will be up on a ramp more than it'll be on the road. Don't waste your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    If the only model Porsche you can afford is a Boxter (and a used one at that) then you should really consider something else. There's a good reason why those things devalue the way they do.

And you'll need very deep pockets. A 10k Boxter will be up on a ramp more than it'll be on the road. Don't waste your money.
    What's wrong with a Porsche Boxter? http://pinthiscars.com/image-post/75...allpaper-6.jpg

How much will maintenance cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsgo661)
    What's wrong with a Porsche Boxter? http://pinthiscars.com/image-post/75...allpaper-6.jpg

How much will maintenance cost?
    I know what a Boxter looks like; I don't need a photograph.

Unfortunately for 10k you're going to end up with an ageing POS. Parts for these things cost a fortune. You're probably looking at a 2003 with upwards of 100k miles on the dash. Expect a lot of expensive things to go wrong.Trust me. I know these things.I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

And 6k a year just for insurance? 500 a month? You gotta be kidding? What a rip off.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the boxster in question.
    If you want one, go for the early 2.5. Yes, I know it's the little engine, but as a new driver you haven't got the tallent for the S model anyway. Never mind the fact that the S blow the rear main seal and then the engine grenades.
    The 2.5 is bomb proof and lasts forever. Whereas the 2.7 and certainly the 3.2 are a lot more fragile.
    So far as the poster aboves assertation that "parts cost a fortune" well... it depends what parts we're talking about. Consumables are no more expensive than anytihng else. With these cars now getting on a bit they are going to start to fall under Porsche main dealer classic scheme so you can enjoy main dealer servicing and stamps in your history at back street garage prices.

You'll easily get a very low mileage 2.5 986 in a reasonable spec for well under your 10k budget and have plenty left over for maintainence.

These two look like nice examples. You'd get a few quid back from the first one if you sold the hardtop too.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...02JE&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...02JE&logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    Some used porsche Boxters go for about £10,000. I found two insurance quotes for about £6,000. Including insurance and maintenance, how much would it cost in total per year to run one? I'm 19 just passed my test
    The insurance makes it prohibitive for you don't bother

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    The insurance makes it prohibitive for you don't bother

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you asking him or telling him?

My other half had a 911 when she was the OP's age...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Are you asking him or telling him?

My other half had a 911 when she was the OP's age...
    Telling him.

If he has to ask about maintenance costs on a Porsche

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Telling him.

If he has to ask about maintenance costs on a Porsche

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Naw, don't be daft. No such thing as a stupid question. We all have to start somewhere... I didn't know what they'd be like to run either until I had my first 911.
    Certainly some are more expensive than others to maintain and some cost buttons.
    My other half and I have had (I think) 7 between us. How many have you had out of interest? Some things that you'd expect to be cheap are a bit of a surprise as anyone who's ever ordered a set of HT leads for a 944 will tell you, for example. Other stuff is just as cheap if not cheaper than a fiesta.

As I mentioned, the 2.5 engined boxsters are quite cheap to look after and the engines are bomb proof.
    The whole german reliability thing is a bit of a myth, though. They all need little bits doing here and there.

All OPC's do massive discounts for servicing on older cars. I've just asked my other half what the age cut off is and she thinks it's 9/10 years... I thought it was closer to 20 but they certainly all do it. As a prime example, she had a 944 sunroof realigned for £50 at nottingham OPC and was given a 997 which was a current model at the time as a courtesy car.

I wouldn't touch a 3.2 boxster, though or a 996 911. Even 997's are proving to be a bit unreliable too. Piston pick up at about 80k miles is not uncommon and the 3.2 boxsters and 996 911's drop their rear main seals and then promptly grenade as I mentioned previously. The bill to put that right is about 10 grand or it was 10 years ago...
    The 2.5 engine... now that's a gem a realistic alternative to a BMW Z3 / Z4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Naw, don't be daft. No such thing as a stupid question. We all have to start somewhere... I didn't know what they'd be like to run either until I had my first 911.
    Certainly some are more expensive than others to maintain and some cost buttons.
    Sorry i'm going to be getting opinions from people who know better than me, i'm just entering into the car - buying scene.

I find a lot of nice ones for about £12k and about 40k miles, such as this one:
    https://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/ca...rsdna&u=134502

Would this be a safe buy?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i'm going to be getting opinions from people who know better than me, i'm just entering into the car - buying scene.

I find a lot of nice ones for about £12k and about 40k miles, such as this one:
    https://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/ca...rsdna&u=134502

Buy an RAC mechanics report

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you find an insurance company that would not decline to quote first?

ReputationRep:
    19 and want to drive a Porsche ?
    Will your father pay for the insurance?

ReputationRep:
    boxsters are awful

ReputationRep:
    19 y/o.. and you want a Boxster as a first car?
    If you actually apply that brain of yours hopefully you'll eventually side with a 1.0L-1.2L car for 1/2yrs until your NCB goes up and those cars become a bit more affordable and realistic.

(Original post by fr0sr_)
    19 y/o.. and you want a Boxster as a first car?
    If you actually apply that brain of yours hopefully you'll eventually side with a 1.0L-1.2L car for 1/2yrs until your NCB goes up and those cars become a bit more affordable and realistic.
    FFS! If everything was based on insurance and risk, do you think men would have gone to the moon? What about people who compete in NASCAR or Rugby?

The guy wants a Boxster and I see nothing wrong in that, so long as he only makes use of the horse power on an open road. I dont see what business insurance companies have pricing people out of a particular choice of car, but I do admit it is a problem thats here to stay. I would suggest following others advice and go for it if he can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    19 and want to drive a Porsche ?
    Will your father pay for the insurance?
    i know a guy he's just turned 21 last year so treated himself to his 4th car since passing his test
    an aventador to go with his 458, his m4 and his 911 and he pays all his costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i know a guy he's just turned 21 last year so treated himself to his 4th car since passing his test
    Okay, what is his instagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    Sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)

Serious ting! My dad ships cars for a living he says everyone who buys a boxter changes their mind very quickly.

The 911 on the other hand...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.