Turn on thread page Beta

"Unmastered Untitled" (New Kendrick Lamar) watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god! The Hip Hop Messiah has blessed us once more and so soon after the epic masterpiece TPAB.

Just listened to it and posted a review below. Keen to hear other peoples thoughts on the album.

ReputationRep:
    So have just listened to it and here are my initial thoughts:

FIRST AND FOREMOST: This is not really a rap album - it's more of a jazz/soul/funk (JSF) album with rapping. KL raps on pretty much every track, but the rapping feels kind of secondary to the JSF. But if the JSF elements were your favourite aspects on TPAB then you will love this album.

Overall, on first listen I'd give the album a 7

Top Tracks: Track 3, 5, 7

Track 1: Intro will definitely catch your attention. KL’s lyrics here have a lot of energy, but tbh what he was actually saying /his metaphors didnt really register with me much here.

Track 2: Hook and beat are good, and lyrics are fairly impactful. The best thing about this track is the soul feel to it,especially how KL has a way of making JSF on this track (and throughout thealbum) sound modern yet retro at the same time.

Track 3: Nice light funky beat and the lyrics are very good here. Though this track is where I first noticed that whilst they are pleasing to the ears, most of the songs don’t have as much “emotional weight”as the songs on TPAB. This track is quite good though and is shorter than it deserves to be.

Track 4 (Skit)

Track 5: The beat, which I think is mostly a bass guitar riff, is very nice on the ears, and the woman’s vocals are simply gorgeous. This track definitely has the best rapping on the album (both lyrics and delivery).Also, this is where I noticed for a mixtape, or whatever this thing is, the production and songwriting is pretty top notch.

Track 6: A very JSF influenced track, that’s mostly beat driven. While it does sound good, there were no real high /strong points in the song so its kinda forgettable

Track 7: First 3 minutes of this track are the mosthip hop on the album and basically sounds like a slightly funkier version of typical modern day hip hop production (e.g. bouncing bass).

The next 2 minutes of the song sound completely different, but other than anaccordion-ish sounding beat, its mostly forgettable.

The rest of the track is a skit of what sounds like KL playing on a bass guitar, laughing with friends and singing about life, relationships and other random chit. It feels like a skit, but its pretty good as far as skits go

Track 8: This song is quintessential JSF storytellingthat KL demonstrated on TPAB. Quite a good JSF song, but again if you listen to this thing expecting the rapping to be the focus you will probably be disappointed

ReputationRep:
    good review. personally i love this album. especially since ive been praying that he would release all these untitled songs that he has been performing live. 3 and 5 could of made the album cut

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.