Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think league tables are still being taken much too seriously? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts?

As always, I firmly believe these rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Yet despite many knowing this, it can be, unfortunately, very difficult for students to not let such rankings get into their heads.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by frognation22)
    Any thoughts?

As always, I firmly believe these rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Yet despite many knowing this, it can be, unfortunately, very difficult for students to not let such rankings get into their heads.
    Yes, 100% yes.

People are looking at 'grad prospect' percentages as if they actually mean anything about where they'll personally end up or how competitive of an applicant they'll be in the future for jobs.

I feel students picking universities are brain washed into using them as some sort of sifting algorithm without fully appreciating how complex life is. Especially the fact that they'll have to study, live and breathe their course/be in an environment for 3+ years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts?

Absolutely. It's very important to pick an institution that you feel will yield the best ROI.

ReputationRep:
    Students use rankings as a proxy to measure their own self esteem and label themselves with a brand e.g. graduate from an RG uni.

To be honest, if all your self esteem for the rest of your life stems from something you achieved at 18, then you can't have much expectation for the rest of your life.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Not really, no

Most people I know either chose quasi-randomly, based on location of family or had their choices restricted by course and grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Absolutely. It's very important to pick an institution that you feel will yield the best ROI.
    Yeah I also feel we really emphasise league tables here too.

When I've gone to the open days etc I've constantly seem posters around the university buildings that say "Study at the top 20 university in the world!"

Not to mention, there are even places on the university website that are just solely dedicated to what the rankings are in this year's league tables. I find it so unnecessary. The last thing we should be doing is promoting students to apply to uni for prestige sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts?

I place more emphasis on individual efforts with the right conditions and a broader definition of achievement (social and personally). League tables can't account for this and as such they can't really be relied upon.

ReputationRep:
    probably not even close to as seriously as they should.

1000's are being miss sold degrees based on the it's with xxxx to you in the future. When in reality only the top institutions are worth that much. If you're not at a top institution you should be thinking long and hard if it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts?

I agree with you. League tables themselves don't mean a lot. They aren't reliable and accurate enough for knowing quality of education. However they can be relatively beneficial items in some circumstances especially when there are Information asymmetries.

For example, imagine if you were a boss of your company, and you needed to hire a Chinese worker for your new business in China. You didn't have much information about applicants aside from their CVs. Then you would research how their universities were good (one graduated from Sichuan University, and the other from Shandong Normal University, you had zero idea about their education standards, selectivity and reputation). As a result of your research, you found Wu Shulian rankings, and you notice Sichuan is a top 10 university, and Shandong Normal is out of top 100. How would it affect your decision?

I think you would feel Sichuan one is the safer choice because (1) this person would be more likely educated and intellectual to handle with your new business (2) this person would be going to be more likely respected when your Chinese clients know s/he graduated from Sichuan, which generally is a positive indirect psychological effect to persuade them to use your service.

On the other hand, if you had enough information about who they are and how Chinese societies and business are, you wouldn't take Chinese league table seriously. If you knew the one from Shandong Normal University is a very friendly, knowledgeable and hard working person (and Sichuan one is lazy and anti-social), you would choose the Shandong person no matter where s/he graduated from (otherwise you are insane).

Same goes when you promote yourself. If your business card says "HBS MBA class of ****" like this, you will get much more attention from your new clients. Even not Harvard, you can promote yourself like you graduated from one of top 10 UK universities in your field, and still there is a enough psychological impact compared to being silent. But if you already established your own brand like Peter Jones, people wouldn't care about your university issue anymore. Even people may respect you much more if you don't graduate from any university, being a definite proof of your extraordinary effort to achieve great social success.

Above all aren't significant when people know enough information about other people. However because we don't have enough time to know 7 billion people's inside, we are terribly superficial and judgmental to things/people we are not familiar with. That's why league tables can be useful sometimes if we know how they work and how/when to use effectively in our daily psychological game. (And because people brainlessly behave so, attending a university with higher ranking position may be a safer choice to minimise the negative impact of underestimation.)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RussellG)
    For example, imagine if you were a boss of your company, and you needed to hire a Chinese worker for your new business in China. You didn't have much information about applicants aside from their CVs. Then you would research how their universities were good
    As an employer of international staff I've never done that. I am hiring a person not a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    As an employer of international staff I've never done that. I am hiring a person not a university.
    How tough is it for a international student to get a job in England ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    How tough is it for a international student to get a job in England ?
    The right candidate will always get a job no matter the nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The right candidate will always get a job no matter the nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought there were rules about only employing someone outside Europe if you cannot find someone within to do it. That certainly applies at my university.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I thought there were rules about only employing someone outside Europe if you cannot find someone within to do it. That certainly applies at my university.
    I'm ignoring visa requirements in my statement which, yes, can complicate things. But still, the statement "The right candidate will always get a job no matter the nationality" still holds. If they are from outside the EU they can still be the right candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ignoring visa requirements in my statement which, yes, can complicate things. But still, the statement "The right candidate will always get a job no matter the nationality" still holds. If they are from outside the EU they can still be the right candidate.
    Well, we've certainly had cases where the strongest candidate was from North America, but because we also had perfectly decent people from Europe, we couldn't go with our first choice.

Don't want to sell false hope to non-EU students looking for jobs.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Well, we've certainly had cases where the strongest candidate was from North America, but because we also had perfectly decent people from Europe, we couldn't go with our first choice.

True.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Very true

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.