Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to ensure a family member you hate isn't invited? watch

Announcements

I have a big family and on several occasions we have gone on holiday together and it's been amazing and fun. Last year an extended family member that I'd only see in passing once every few years decided she wanted to come, but could only do the last 2 days. Those 2 days, although not all spent with her, were terrible. She is just a loud, ignorant, brash person that makes your blood boil and sets you on edge. There is also the matter that she drinks a lot so this is all amplified, especially if her on again off again parter who also drinks is about (and is a bit creepy). I can't do it again.

Next year we want to do a big family holiday in celebration of a few big birthdays - mine being one of them and me spearheading the plans. How can I stop plans from getting out? I've said before if she's going I'm not but I think the family think I'm joking -- thankfully I know a gf of someone agrees with me that she can't stand her and others don't like her but with them cos it's family they just shrug it off.

Obviously, as is normal, there are always people i don't get on well with straight away but this is another level. I want to enjoy a big special holiday, and though we aren't together 24/7 we spend like 60%+ of our time together and I would be tortured if that was with her. Like it would be a waste of money and spoiling of a big occasion. What to do? I'm not telling her to her face :eek4:

I had hoped we'd be flying so far away she wouldn't want to come but looks like we have to stay in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Hire a hitman.

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Hire a hitman.
    Haha, my morality and bank account can't afford it.

*bump*

*sad second bump* is there nothing I can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a big family and on several occasions we have gone on holiday together and it's been amazing and fun. Last year an extended family member that I'd only see in passing once every few years decided she wanted to come, but could only do the last 2 days. Those 2 days, although not all spent with her, were terrible. She is just a loud, ignorant, brash person that makes your blood boil and sets you on edge. There is also the matter that she drinks a lot so this is all amplified, especially if her on again off again parter who also drinks is about (and is a bit creepy). I can't do it again.

Next year we want to do a big family holiday in celebration of a few big birthdays - mine being one of them and me spearheading the plans. How can I stop plans from getting out? I've said before if she's going I'm not but I think the family think I'm joking -- thankfully I know a gf of someone agrees with me that she can't stand her and others don't like her but with them cos it's family they just shrug it off.

Obviously, as is normal, there are always people i don't get on well with straight away but this is another level. I want to enjoy a big special holiday, and though we aren't together 24/7 we spend like 60%+ of our time together and I would be tortured if that was with her. Like it would be a waste of money and spoiling of a big occasion. What to do? I'm not telling her to her face :eek4:

I had hoped we'd be flying so far away she wouldn't want to come but looks like we have to stay in Europe.
    Tell everyone who's invited to keep it a secret? Lol, I've never met anyone who invites themselves to a holiday...

(Original post by Mjcal1)
    Tell everyone who's invited to keep it a secret? Lol, I've never met anyone who invites themselves to a holiday...
    Nor had I until last year I think that asking may be my only recourse, and hoping that the size of our party takes all remaining places on the plane lol. I just know one of the more important people I want to come is very bad at keeping secrets, terrible in fact.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.