Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do elderly people struggle to learn how to use computers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Dont put him down because he cant use technology. Your parents had to teach you how to use a damn spoon!

ReputationRep:
    See neuroplasticity, sensory degradation and attention vs. long term memory formation, and conditioned behaviour, for reference :shakecane:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's not an age thing.

I have to teach my mother how to use a computer and do stuff on her phone.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience it's a defeatist attitude and being too stubborn to learn. Sure it can take longer with an elderly brain, but the capability while somewhat diminished it still there.
    Sure a lot do genuinely struggle to really get to grips with computers and how they work when you get down the the more complex stuff, but being able to turn on a computer and use the internet and send some emails is not hard and can easily be learned...but I've found they often don't want to learn or think they can't so they don't really try.

ReputationRep:
    Because they didn't have computers etc back in their day and are too set in their ways. Btw, your dad in his 50s is not elderly!

ReputationRep:
    After 20-30 years you will understand it as well. I'm 16 though & still don't understand how to use Snapchat or Twitter. There's no point of it for me though, so probably there's no point in using computer for your father who never needed it in his life before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    My dad was born during the 50s and is retired now. He has nothing to do and quite intrigued by computer . He now spends most of his time figuring out computer related stuff but he seems to struggle to understand how computer works. And he is learning really slow....He often calls me, even when i am working to ask me questions and at times it can be annoying. Often amateurish questions. He can't tell whether it is his browser that is slowing down or whether the internet is lagging which is affecting his browsing speed, which is really difficult for me to explain the how to spot which is which. His computer is riddled with virus because he tends to install/ update software from dodgy websites and I dont know how to teach him how to spot high risk website to avoid, it takes some cow sense. I am genuinely worried one day he will fall for some nigerian phishing scam.

oh and he couldnt understand why alt - f4 closes down his program when he sets that as a hotkey.
    send him on a computer course i did for my dad (60 in july) and he occasionally asks for assistance with stuff but that's once in a couple of weeks at most

My dad was born in the fifties and he's a computer whizz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    How many GB? :holmes:

:lol:
    plenty... i can upload and download ever so quickly :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Revisit this thread in 40 years and see how you're doing with the latest technology then.
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    My Grandparents aren't very good with computers but give them their iPad and they can do almost anything. Not bad considering they are great- Grandparents too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot700)
    Never mock your parents/ grandparents about using computers, they were the ones that were cleaning your ass when you couldn't.

- Some phrase on facebook I saw.
    What has that got to do with the price of fish in outer Mongolia?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.