Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my first year of college meaning that uni choices are coming up.
    I'm thinking of:
    Cambridge (MAIN HOPE IS THIS SO ADVICE ON WHETHER I WILL MAKE A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION)
    LSE
    UCL
    Kings College London
    Southampton
    All for law (hence the title)
    My grades are as follow
    GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
    AS Levels (based on current performance) 92% across top 3 and strong A in fourth one.
    A levels (predictid) A* A* A* A (I'm carrying on with four)
    Like I said above advice mainly on Cambridge but other options also thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My friend who is tagged should be able to tell you more as he is going on to study Law at Cambridge next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 2015)
    I'm thinking of:
    Cambridge (MAIN HOPE IS THIS SO ADVICE ON WHETHER I WILL MAKE A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION)

My grades are as follow
    GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
    AS Levels (based on current performance) 92% across top 3 and strong A in fourth one.
    What A levels are you taking?

Given that your GCSEs are decent but nothing special, what has so improved your work ethic/ability that you're on course for those A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    What A levels are you taking?

Given that your GCSEs are decent but nothing special, what has so improved your work ethic/ability that you're on course for those A levels?
    Just clicked I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salsa123)
    My friend who is tagged should be able to tell you more as he is going on to study Law at Cambridge next year
    Thanks that'll be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't reply feel free to just send him a message in his inbox, I'm pretty sure he replies to those
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm thinking of:
    LSE
    UCL
    Kings College London
    Southampton
    My grades are as follow
    GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
    If yiu specifically avoid Churchill College with those GCSEs you should be reasonably competive for Cambridge.

What are your A-Level subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    If yiu specifically avoid Churchill College with those GCSEs you should be reasonably competive for Cambridge.

What are your A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for that advice, I heard that that was a hard college haha and Law History Economcis and English Lit
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks for that advice, I heard that that was a hard college haha and Law History Economcis and English Lit
    Yep, they won't look at you unless you have at least 5A* GCSEs for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they won't look at you unless you have at least 5A* GCSEs for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I heard about that haha I'll be sure to avoid that particular college, do you want to do law at uni ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah I heard about that haha I'll be sure to avoid that particular college, do you want to do law at uni ?
    Nope. I'm a parent of an Engineering place holder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I'm a parent of an Engineering place holder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At Cambridge ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    At Cambridge ?
    Yes. Christ's. He deferred and starts this Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Christ's. He deferred and starts this Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations and thanks for all the advice
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Congratulations and thanks for all the advice
    No problem.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of:
    LSE
    UCL
    Kings College London
    Southampton
    My grades are as follow
    GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
    (Original post by Salsa123)
    Nikhilm

I'm German and a long-time lurker on this form. I do not have IGCSEs. I have weak German secondary qualifications. I'm doing both AS and A2 this year in econs, law and politics.

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my UCAS application for this year and applying to Cambridge for next year's intake. I have received law conditional offers for this year's intake from York, Birbeck, Sussex and Sunderland. I also got an offer from Bath for politics with economics.

Will have stellar A level grades be enough? Will the fact that I do not have IGCSEs affect my application? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Nikhilm

I'm German and a long-time lurker on this form. I do not have IGCSEs. I have weak German secondary qualifications. I'm doing both AS and A2 this year in econs, law and politics.

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my UCAS application for this year and applying to Cambridge for next year's intake. I have received law conditional offers for this year's intake from York, Birbeck, Sussex and Sunderland. I also got an offer from Bath for politics with economics.

Will have stellar A level grades be enough? Will the fact that I do not have IGCSEs affect my application? What do you think?
    Hey, it really all depends on how good your A Level grades are. I have no idea about German qualifications - to know for sure about Cambridge's position etc. you have to just call them up, or ask one of their TSR representatives
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nikhilm

Good grades are helpful but not necessarily enough. I would not recommend risking 5 good offers in the hand for the chance (and a chance is all it is) of an offer from Cambridge.

Most post A-level applicants to Cambridge will have stellar grades (A*A*A or higher) and they won't all get offers.

(Original post by Nikhilm)
    Hey, it really all depends on how good your A Level grades are. I have no idea about German qualifications - to know for sure about Cambridge's position etc. you have to just call them up, or ask one of their TSR representatives
    can you share with us about your Cambridge application journey? where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    can you share with us about your Cambridge application journey? where are you from?
    Lol calling it a 'journey' makes it sound really epic - the bottom line is that if you get good grades and perform well at interview, you'll get an offer

If you really want however, I might give a description of my application process (for Law this is) when I'm less busy - maybe tomorrow or the day after

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.