Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise doing a degree then going into vet med afterwards. It's so expensive, and there is no funding unless family are willing to help out.
    I'm a second year at Liverpool. Chemistry wise - not so much. We do biochem but it's nothing to stressful.
    I'd advise you took a gap year and spend time in practice getting experience. If doing the prelim year is an option for you it would mean 6 years at university, and you need to be confident that it's definitely something you want to do.
    I went the graduate route, because it was my last option. I got in but I'm still having to sponge of my family to pay for the vet degree, which isn't ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    I wouldn't advise doing a degree then going into vet med afterwards. It's so expensive, and there is no funding unless family are willing to help out.
    I'm a second year at Liverpool. Chemistry wise - not so much. We do biochem but it's nothing to stressful.
    I'd advise you took a gap year and spend time in practice getting experience. If doing the prelim year is an option for you it would mean 6 years at university, and you need to be confident that it's definitely something you want to do.
    I went the graduate route, because it was my last option. I got in but I'm still having to sponge of my family to pay for the vet degree, which isn't ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no way any of my family could afford it, so it's now or never I guess I think I'm gonna have to stick to the biology degree, could be a mistake but a 3 year mistake not a 6 year one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler2709)
    There's no way any of my family could afford it, so it's now or never I guess I think I'm gonna have to stick to the biology degree, could be a mistake but a 3 year mistake not a 6 year one
    There are hardship funds available through universities, which can help towards living costs, and if you got a part time job you could save money for the fees - my housemate does it that way, but it's not easy. Why don't you do the biology degree, in your spare time do some work experience in practice and see how you feel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    have you considered Vet Physiotherapy? its different to being a vet, but you still work closely with animals, they offer it at Writtle College and the grades needed are very low... its 3 years, I got an offer from there this year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.