People who are unilingual, how do you feel about it?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
GUMI
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering, people who are unilingual do you ever feel that knowing only 1 language limits you or makes you lesser somehow? Idk how to describe it, but I'm just wondering if you feel it impacts you in some way I guess is the best way to phrase it.
username1967813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have huge respect for people that can speak more than one language.

I consider myself competent in French but I am definitely unilingual. I don't mind though, because I can use English at a very high level and I consider myself lucky because I know there are people in the world who are completely illiterate and don't have the means to access basic education
Death Grips
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GUMI)
Just wondering, people who are unilingual do you ever feel that knowing only 1 language limits you or makes you lesser somehow? Idk how to describe it, but I'm just wondering if you feel it impacts you in some way I guess is the best way to phrase it.
Its been a disadvantage for me but that's because in thee industry I work in you work all over europe so it helps to have another language, but otherwise it hasnt been a problem.

Everyone in the world is going to be able speak english eventually anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
acupofgreentea
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
Discontent.

I'd really like to learn another language at some point. :yep: It's on my bucket list for sure.
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by acupofgreentea)
Discontent.

I'd really like to learn another language at some point. :yep: It's on my bucket list for sure.
I'll teach you all I know lol
balanced
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel no impacts, and I see it as a bit of a waste. The places I go (Holland, Carribean, Europe etc) I can get along fine with English only. My bucket list has very different things to that
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find it embarrassing when I got to Europe, most of the natives speak English and sometimes an extra continental language as well.
EmmaLouise759
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really wish I was bilingual. I studied AS French in Year 10 and found it an absolute nightmare, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't seem to get anywhere with it. :dontknow: I would like to blame it on the fact that my brain very much prefers processing numbers over words, but at the same time, it baffles me how some of us find it extremely difficult to learn another language yet we managed to learn our own when we had half of the thinking skills we posses now.

I understand that maybe learning at a young age is better, but either way, I'd love to be fluent in another language, I really want to see what it's like to almost be able to "think" in another language. Sadly I don't think perfecting French is on the cards for me any time soon. :laugh:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No (244)
71.76%

Watched Threads