Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for this course this year and I was wondering what the course was like for current students. I am aware this is a new degree and want an insight to what it is like studying this course at this uni. Also, anyone else applying for this course feel free to reply and ask questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i was looking for the same info as you. Are you on the course, if yes what's it like? Any info about it would help, thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by dunnodontcare)
    Hello, i was looking for the same info as you. Are you on the course, if yes what's it like? Any info about it would help, thanks.
    Hi,

I didn't want to jump in as you wanted a current students opinion, but i can see none of our current students have dropped by, rather than throwing marketing spiel at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions?

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi,

I didn't want to jump in as you wanted a current students opinion, but i can see none of our current students have dropped by, rather than throwing marketing spiel at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions?

Josh
    Sorry for the late response been very busy recently.

well i guess theres not much on the course webpage about assessment? how are students assessed, what are the pass rates and are there options avaialable if you do not achieve a certain grade, what are the required grades to pass?

I know maths is vital in physics, but just how much of the course relies on students hvaing exceptional math skills? I myself am less confident in my math skills, is there support for students like myself?

What are the most challenging aspects of the course, how can you overcome them?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by dunnodontcare)
    Sorry for the late response been very busy recently.

well i guess theres not much on the course webpage about assessment? how are students assessed, what are the pass rates and are there options avaialable if you do not achieve a certain grade, what are the required grades to pass?

I know maths is vital in physics, but just how much of the course relies on students hvaing exceptional math skills? I myself am less confident in my math skills, is there support for students like myself?

What are the most challenging aspects of the course, how can you overcome them?

Hi,

The majority of our modules will either be assessed through exams, essays, individual project work, group project work and practical project work.

The form of assessment is often decided by the course leader. Our grades work in a similar way to most universities and are scored in percentages, which relate to an overall degree classification:

• 70% - 1st
    • 60%-69% - 2:1
    • 50%-59% - 2:2
    • 40%-49% - 3rd
    • Below 40% - Fail

If you fail a module you usually have the following options:

• Deferred Exam – If you failed due to exceptional circumstances, you can retake the exam / project with no cap on the mark you can achieve.
    • Referred Exam –The option to retake the exam capped at a 40% pass.
    • Condonement – Usually if you fail a module by 2% and pass everything else it can be bumped up to 40%

In terms of Maths, I wouldn’t worry too much. The entry requirements are in place to assure that no one will struggle with the course content. In addition to that, first year is often used to build everyone up to the same level and doesn’t impact your overall grade. Lastly there is the LDC (Learning Development Centre) which offers free maths tuition if you would like to brush up on your skills.

Hope that helps

Josh

P.S give me a shout if you have anymore questions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Aston University
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.