Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a masters in Utrecht and it says its 120 credits over 29 months and I was told UK masters are 180 credits and take 1 year. Does that mean dutch masters are very slow paced and worth less?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sideburn)
    I want to do a masters in Utrecht and it says its 120 credits over 29 months and I was told UK masters are 180 credits and take 1 year. Does that mean dutch masters are very slow paced and worth less?
    It's common for Masters to be 2 years in parts of Europe. They don't consider our 1 year Masters to be as good...

And the 180 UK credits are not the same as 120 ECTS.

ReputationRep:
    The course content is way more important, than how many credits are written on the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Check the credits carefully, they are different "currency". UK credits and ECTS are not the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sideburn)
    Far from it. As has been said above, UK credits are not the same as ECTS credits.

UK credits are deemed to be the equivalent of 50% of the ECTS credits. A 120 UK credit Masters is worth just 60 ECTS credits.

Whether that would be significant to a UK employer is doubtful, but then few jobs require a Masters anyway. A 180 credit European Masters might give you brownie points for a UK PhD and is probably crucial in some fields if you want to do a PhD in Europe outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me when I say 99% of British employers will not have a clue about the educational merits and rigor of different European countries. They will all be impressed that you've gone abroad and done a hard master's degree.

ReputationRep:
    Just to reiterate what has been previously said, a lot of employers will be impressed by you having the 'guts' to go abroad to do a Masters. As someone who has assisted in the recruitment of junior staff into my corporation, it's absolutely an advantage when I see people with a Masters degree, especially from a country that is not from an institution in their native country.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks everyone I think i'll stick with Utrecht then as long as I get the funding and the grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.