Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So last night, the worst thing happened to me.

I had sleep paralysis and it was so frightening and the most traumatic experience ever.

I feel a bit scared to go back to sleep today.

ReputationRep:
    I watched top 10's vid about this a while ago. I would hate it happening to me. At least you know what is happening when it happens and you know it will pass.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to get sleep paralysis/ lucid dreaming lately but nothings working.

I lay on back back, not moving a muscle but nothing happens and I can't fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)

I had sleep paralysis and it was so frightening and the most traumatic experience ever.

no matter how much advice you get on this post at the end of the day your going to have to go back to sleep again for your health, I'm sorry that happened to you tho google ways to prevent it perhaps?

(Original post by Just want oreos)
    no matter how much advice you get on this post at the end of the day your going to have to go back to sleep again for your health, I'm sorry that happened to you tho google ways to prevent it perhaps?
    I have and they are not the best explanations.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't experienced this myself, but I know someone who has.
    I hope that this page might give you a few ideas on how you may be able to prevent a future episode.
    Most of all though I'd say don't obsess over it. The more it is in your thoughts, the more likely it'll disturb your sleep, be it a dream or a repeat of the night before.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/05...on-strategies/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. Plenty of people have it.
    As long as it's not going on for ages just console yourself with the fact it'll be over soon.

ReputationRep:
    I've only had sleep paralysis once, and yeah it was not a pleasant experience.

You may never get it again, I never did.

ReputationRep:
    I get something similar where it feels like im awake and im aware of my surroundings but i can move at all. My heart would be beating very fast as id try to move my body but i cant.

I think that mine is very mild tho compared to others.
    It used to be an extremely scary experience.

What i try to do is just relax when these episodes occur. Like literally whilst you feel paralysed just RELAX and you feel like youre falling into a deeper sleep until you'll just snap out of it.

When i do wake up, i do a little bit of exercise to get my blood flowing around my body and that "usually" helps prevent it.

I read that its basically your brain waking up before your muscles do....but i dunno.

My advice is to research more about it.
    Relax!
    And dont feel scared. I think sleep paralysis is harmless.

This may be a bit confusing. If you want more advice feel free to pm me!

ReputationRep:
    damn that sounds scary, hopefully it wont happen to you again

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

This happened to me a while ago could not move and found it hard to breathe plus i swear there was something in the room as i could feel the sheets being tugged. Freaked me out hasn't happened since.

Its a good idea to catch up on a bit of procrastination when ever your suffering from sleep paralysis. You may feel terrified, you may even feel like going on a bare hand bear hunt but that just isnt gonna happen until you resume bodily function.

(Original post by chikane)
    This happened to me a while ago could not move and found it hard to breathe plus i swear there was something in the room as i could feel the sheets being tugged. Freaked me out hasn't happened since.
    Sorry to hear that, its soo scary.

(Original post by Laomedeia)
    Its a good idea to catch up on a bit of procrastination when ever your suffering from sleep paralysis. You may feel terrified, you may even feel like going on a bare hand bear hunt but that just isnt gonna happen until you resume bodily function.
    Yeah, I guess so.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I've only had sleep paralysis once, and yeah it was not a pleasant experience.

You may never get it again, I never did.
    I just hope so.

ReputationRep:
    I dreamt the guys i chatted via tsr. I wish them good grades and jobs in the future

ReputationRep:

I went through a period of sleep paralysis a few years ago, it can be quite scary the first few times, especially when you don't know what it is. I found that just before it was about it happen, I would hear a high pitched buzzing noise. I kind of used that as my cue to wake myself up while I could and eventually it stopped. If it carries on, see if you can identify the warning or trigger like I did, but it's very likely you won't even experience it again

(Original post by Hann95)
    I went through a period of sleep paralysis a few years ago, it can be quite scary the first few times, especially when you don't know what it is. I found that just before it was about it happen, I would hear a high pitched buzzing noise. I kind of used that as my cue to wake myself up while I could and eventually it stopped. If it carries on, see if you can identify the warning or trigger like I did, but it's very likely you won't even experience it again
    I just hope not.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it about 3 times...I HATED IT!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.