Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Garth Crookes put Mikel in his team of the week (at CB).

I'm done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    My rent is rougly 3/3 and a half grand at Uni for a year. Not sure how you're worried about spending 13k on living in the North - surely scavenging for food out of bins like everybody else up there does wouldn't cost much.
    400 a month, it's London so prices are a ****ing joke. I was looking at a place in Vanvouver, modern, newly built massive block of flats, two blocks from the centre of the city, sharing with one other person, and it's only just a £120 more a month than the place i'm in atm
    how have you managed to get an 8 month rent contract
    what kind of hole in the ground have you got for under 100 a week in London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I know, I've thought about it but I'm literally not sure I could go from £150 a day to retail wage. It's not just that either, night shifts messed with me so much. And it's not even the money either, it's the calibre of job too.

I could really do with a few months off anyway because I haven't had a job-free summer in years. It's just any spending will hinder me.
    It would be difficult at first to adjust but after a few weeks you'll be back in the swing of it. You could find a retail job where you only do like an 8 hour shift one day a week. That way you can get an additional £60 or so a week which you could use for any social activities and that way you'll still have 6 days a week to enjoy your time off. Tbh after a week or two you'll be bored at home with nothing to do and you'll probably wish you had a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    It would be difficult at first to adjust but after a few weeks you'll be back in the swing of it. You could find a retail job where you only do like an 8 hour shift one day a week. That way you can get an additional £60 or so a week which you could use for any social activities and that way you'll still have 6 days a week to enjoy your time off. Tbh after a week or two you'll be bored at home with nothing to do and you'll probably wish you had a job.
    Well if I was able to spend money, it wouldn't be an issue - I could just take up a hobby, maybe start football again or go to the gym or something. However with minimal spend, having 2-3 months off could be a bloody nightmare.

I suppose I could look for some work experience in my field, or if worst comes to worst, at least start studying beforehand.
    I mean if this is the career path I'm gonna follow, there's no downside to learning whatever I can, whenever I can.

The ideal scenario is that our contracts are extended for 3 months until the end of September which would be absolutely perfect. It would mean I wouldn't have to worry about money at all, but also that I wouldn't be bored over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    how have you managed to get an 8 month rent contract
    what kind of hole in the ground have you got for under 100 a week in London
    It's not a hole m8, decent room in the suburbs obviously - room /setup like this comparable if you look on spareroom isn't bad - probably should be closer to 500 / maybe 550 if you go closer to central.

So fed up with stupid prices here though, part of the reason i'm looking at going abroad after I finish Uni - but the course I looked at 18k and a shorter one, with better industry connections, 15% of the price and part time means wanting to go abroad because I feel like it doesn't make economic sense.

Hopefully I get into the right position to go and work over there one day. VFX industry actually has a stupid amount of possibilities wrt to jobs and locations.

inb4 McDonalds.

I don't actually know what you do apart from talk shite and post memes on here - u at Uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You're seriously complaining about 400 pm in London? Is that with bills included?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You're seriously complaining about 400 pm in London? Is that with bills included?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, closer to 450 with bills, but thats just rent, not to mention price of living day to day, bear in mind I don't get a regular income and when I get my loan a large proportion goes on rent immediately.

ReputationRep:
    No, closer to 450 with bills, but thats just rent, not to mention price of living day to day, bear in mind I don't get a regular income and when I get my loan a large proportion goes on rent immediately.
    What area you in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    What area you in
    Surbiton

ReputationRep:
    Game of thrones lets goooo

ReputationRep:
    I have a hd link if anybody needs it

About to watch the first episode of season 6

Inbe4 jizz

Cersei's trim is bare dead

ReputationRep:
    Should have just got the free trial with now TV and stream sky Atlantic for free, that's what I did.

That ending though, WTF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not a hole m8, decent room in the suburbs obviously - room /setup like this comparable if you look on spareroom isn't bad - probably should be closer to 500 / maybe 550 if you go closer to central.

So fed up with stupid prices here though, part of the reason i'm looking at going abroad after I finish Uni - but the course I looked at 18k and a shorter one, with better industry connections, 15% of the price and part time means wanting to go abroad because I feel like it doesn't make economic sense.

Hopefully I get into the right position to go and work over there one day. VFX industry actually has a stupid amount of possibilities wrt to jobs and locations.

inb4 McDonalds.

I don't actually know what you do apart from talk shite and post memes on here - u at Uni?
    I believe in you, don't let your dreams be dreams
    y Vancouver

full time shitposter, memester and Taylor Swift fan m8
    yeah uni doing biology

ReputationRep:
    Can any discussion on GoT be put in spoilers?

ReputationRep:
    The truth :rofl:

• Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    what
    is it true?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by swirly)
    is it true?
    again, what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    again, what.
    Once you go black, you never go back?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by swirly)
    Once you go black, you never go back?
    yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.