The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
Do u even Creep?

U googled
Imagine saying Radiohead are sh*t, then turning round and saying Zayn is one of the best recording artists of all time because he's good looking

Original post by cookie123456789
Kanye and Taylor are only doing well because stupid, crowd following people just want to look 'cool' and 'current'. Also, Radio 1 never plays the bands I have mentioned because they are not current.
Unfortunately, Kanye and Taylor are supposedly the 'best' of today's music because mainstream music is all very rubbish.

The irony of saying others want to be cool whilst being a classic hipster and panning some of the most critically acclaimed artists ever lol

Original post by Jimmy Seville
Imagine saying Radiohead are sh*t, then turning round and saying Zayn is one of the best recording artists of all time because he's good looking

They do look like nonces so I'm not surprised you like them
Original post by Zayn is Bae
When something is unknown in music to the mainstream, it generally means that it's **** (not entire albums but basically every good artist ever has had at least a couple of songs that everybody knows even if the genre they're in isn't mainstream), or at least sell a lot or win awards.

Calm down with the exclamation marks!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Radiohead won a lot of awards in their golden days.
OK Computer shaped modern music. It inspired Coldplay and most of todays Alternative Rock bands.
I've never understood how mainstream music is so popular, i've never known anyone who has their ipod/spotify/whatever they use full of the **** that's in the charts or being played to death in a club.

Leave Taylor Swift out of this though. She's fabulous

Exactly!!! It's crazy!!!
Kanye and Taylor are only doing well because stupid, crowd following people just want to look 'cool' and 'current'. Also, Radio 1 never plays the bands I have mentioned because they are not current.
Unfortunately, Kanye and Taylor are supposedly the 'best' of today's music because mainstream music is all very rubbish.

Are the Grammy voters, every major music magazine and Paul McCartney just stupid and crowd following?
Reply 5407
When something is unknown in music to the mainstream, it generally means that it's **** (not entire albums but basically every good artist ever has had at least a couple of songs that everybody knows even if the genre they're in isn't mainstream), or at least sell a lot or win awards.

Calm down with the exclamation marks!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Wrong.
To the average rock enthusiast they'll be able to tell you at least one Radiohead song. They've won 3 Grammy's btw.

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean its necessary ****.
Beauty of music. Appeals to the masses.
Original post by difeo
Are the Grammy voters, every major music magazine and Paul McCartney just stupid and crowd following?

MTV- yes.
NME- No. They actually mention good bands like Radiohead.
Paul McCartney- Perhaps not.
But the thing is, there's not a lot of choice now days. It feels like you have to like the mainstream bands or you get scorned upon as demonstrated here. And perhaps many people just don't hear about the good bands enough.
And, most of the Grammy voters have to vote for pop artists so the rock bands are usually left out.

They do look like nonces so I'm not surprised you like them

Zayn is a nonce.
Original post by Rk2k14
Wrong.
To the average rock enthusiast they'll be able to tell you at least one Radiohead song. They've won 3 Grammy's btw.

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean its necessary ****.
Beauty of music. Appeals to the masses.

Kanye's won 21. Discuss
MTV- yes.
NME- No. They actually mention good bands like Radiohead.
Paul McCartney- Perhaps not.
But the thing is, there's not a lot of choice now days. It feels like you have to like the mainstream bands or you get scorned upon as demonstrated here. And perhaps many people just don't hear about the good bands enough.
And, most of the Grammy voters have to vote for pop artists so the rock bands are usually left out.

So when McCartney says "“I love Kanye. People say he’s eccentric, which you’d have to agree with, but he’s a monster, yeah. He’s a crazy guy that comes up with great stuff. He inspires me.", do you not think he may have a point?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Really? Your opinion would probably be different if he wasn't in blockbuster movies.

The same can be said with any celebrity though. Fame and fortune improve the looks of people as they can afford personal trainers/chefs/fashion advisers/makeup artists etc. Like if Tom Hardy or Emma Watson weren't famous and you saw them on your daily commute you wouldn't think too much of them.
MP killed in Leeds and haven't heard from @lucio.is.btchboy @Lubio in a few hours.
Reply 5414
Original post by difeo
Kanye's won 21. Discuss

Kanye is one of the best in the game, but he's been fortunate he was making music in a time where Grammy finally recognised rap/hip hop. Fact that albums like Ready to Die and Illmatic were overlooked says it all.

Macklemore's won more Grammy's than Biggie, Tupac, Nas. Discuss.
Original post by Rk2k14
Kanye is one of the best in the game, but he's been fortunate he was making music in a time where Grammy finally recognised rap/hip hop. Fact that albums like Ready to Die and Illmatic were overlooked says it all.

Macklemore's won more Grammy's than Biggie, Tupac, Nas. Discuss.

Yeah I agree but even comparing his number to non hip hop artists it's massive
Reply 5416
Original post by difeo
Yeah I agree but even comparing his number to non hip hop artists it's massive

Tbh the quality of hip hop artists in recent years has done him a lot of favours. Pretty much got a free pass at it.
Original post by Rk2k14
Tbh the quality of hip hop artists in recent years has done him a lot of favours. Pretty much got a free pass at it.

Accidentally repped lel
Still got Nas the goat to compete with tho right
Reply 5418
Original post by difeo
Accidentally repped lel
Still got Nas the goat to compete with tho right

GOATs don't need Grammy's.
Nas, Rakim, Biggie, Tupac, DMX.
MP killed in Leeds and haven't heard from @lucio.is.btchboy @Lubio in a few hours.

Nice to see people care :frown:

Latest