#rekt

That's enough internet for today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Swirly used to be endearing.

Now he isn't.
    What is he now then?

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on homeownership for the under 30s? Specially from the older members here? Any of you own a house/thinking about it soon?

Biggest issue on my mind at the moment when I think about returning to the UK next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Thoughts on homeownership for the under 30s? Specially from the older members here? Any of you own a house/thinking about it soon?

Biggest issue on my mind at the moment when I think about returning to the UK next year.
    Thankful as **** that my parents already paid off the mortgage for our house. But we want to move into a bigger house in a better area so yeah looking for a house but prices are crazy. Even with a really good paying job, prices just make it difficult for the houses we're looking at.

ReputationRep:

Rent fo' life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Thankful as **** that my parents already paid off the mortgage for our house. But we want to move into a bigger house in a better area so yeah looking for a house but prices are crazy. Even with a really good paying job, prices just make it difficult for the houses we're looking at.
    when you say 'our house' do you mean your house with parents/family - or your own house, seperate to parents? cant guess, as I am not sure how old you are..

If its the first, then great! My parents would have managed the same, but chose to upsize hugely to a bigger house, better area, in 2006.. right on the tip of the bubble before the financial crisis. so they still have a good chunk to pay off.

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Rent fo' life
    Cant be doing that. Depressing as **** to know your hard earned money is just paying for some rich older guys retirement fund. Plus the loss in capital, just cant stomach it.

ReputationRep:
    when you say 'our house' do you mean your house with parents/family - or your own house, seperate to parents? cant guess, as I am not sure how old you are..

If its the first, then great! My parents would have managed the same, but chose to upsize hugely to a bigger house, better area, in 2006.. right on the tip of the bubble before the financial crisis. so they still have a good chunk to pay off.

Cant be doing that. Depressing as **** to know your hard earned money is just paying for some rich older guys retirement fund. Plus the loss in capital, just cant stomach it.
    Our house with my parents . Will be spending the rest of my life living with them even if I get married tbh. The bigger house we're looking to buy (currently living in a 4 bedroom house) is probably going to be fully funded by me and I'll be paying the mortgage payments and such.

Probably be another housing bubble and again **** people over with their mortgages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will be spending the rest of my life living with them even if I get married tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wot

ReputationRep:
    Our house with my parents . Will be spending the rest of my life living with them even if I get married tbh. The bigger house we're looking to buy (currently living in a 4 bedroom house) is probably going to be fully funded by me and I'll be paying the mortgage payments and such.

Probably be another housing bubble and again **** people over with their mortgages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like a solid plan - I really like the idea of families sticking together, even if it is not very common in the UK,

With my chinese family its really normal, they act together and make decisions that are best for everyone, supporting all - rather then fragmenting as we tend to do so much in the UK,

I suspect if housing prices continue to rise, and more pressure is put on the young - more families will look to pool their resources together to find a solution for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Wot
    Its a cultural thing but mostly because I can't bear the thought of my parents in a care home or living alone. I turned down a great job opportunity in America so I can stay and make sure my parents are alright .

Sounds like a solid plan - I really like the idea of families sticking together, even if it is not very common in the UK,

With my chinese family its really normal, they act together and make decisions that are best for everyone, supporting all - rather then fragmenting as we tend to do so much in the UK,

I suspect if housing prices continue to rise, and more pressure is put on the young - more families will look to pool their resources together to find a solution for everyone.
    Yeah unfortunately its not common. Most of my mates find it a bit weird but like I've said above, can't bear the thought of my parents living alone.

You're Chinese? Never would have guessed that.

That's the best thing. Everyone pulling their resources together and being able to spread the cost of mortgage and bills will surely help in easing the financial burden.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Living with parents and taking over 9 bedroom house crew
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I'm saving up with a view to purchasing one in 3-5yrs. House prices aren't that bad in Manchester.

Housing situation in this country is absolutely ridiculous though. It's a huge ticking time bomb. What is everyone going to do when they retire? They won't be able to afford the stupidly high rents and in many cases will only be relying on the state pension. It's a crisis waiting to happen but neither Cons or Labour will acknowledge it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its a cultural thing but mostly because I can't bear the thought of my parents in a care home or living alone. I turned down a great job opportunity in America so I can stay and make sure my parents are alright .

Yeah unfortunately its not common. Most of my mates find it a bit weird but like I've said above, can't bear the thought of my parents living alone.

That's the best thing. Everyone pulling their resources together and being able to spread the cost of mortgage and bills will surely help in easing the financial burden.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heart-warming. Have a rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler-ed for those who dont care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Im not chinese, my wife is, and as a result ive ended up with half of my family (and future children) being chinese. Currently I live here with them, and will do for another year or so - and it really has opened my eyes to how split uk families are.

I completly understand the care home point - its a great example of the differences between an individualistic culture such as the west, and a much more comunal culture in other parts of the world. To the english side of my family, a care-home is a great solution, both the children and the aging parent value their indipendance above all else, and would not want to live with the other... but to my chinese half, both value the idea of working for the group, and understand that the best thing for all is to compromise on indiviuduality in place of other benifits.

( If Im being honest, it has been, and still is a huge culture shift having to adjust to half of your life having a different way of thinking and working, and one that me and my wife still have to deal with all the time, as the chinese half of our family dont fully understand the english half, and the english half find the chinese half confusing. - my chinese father in law will say 'why hasnt your english dad brought you a house? your married now??', and my english father will say 'why is your chinese father in law offering to give you a house? you should earn that privillage on your own, its a right of passage for all adults, and an achievemnt not a gift' etc)

What is your cultrual background, if you dont mind me asking?

(Original post by sr90)
    I'm saving up with a view to purchasing one in 3-5yrs. House prices aren't that bad in Manchester.

Housing situation in this country is absolutely ridiculous though. It's a huge ticking time bomb. What is everyone going to do when they retire? They won't be able to afford the stupidly high rents and in many cases will only be relying on the state pension. It's a crisis waiting to happen but neither Cons or Labour will acknowledge it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Problem for me is why would anyone in a position of power want to radically change the status quo? Imagine if your a politician or in local goverment.. your older, a home owner, maybe with multiple properties.. Any mass change to the suply/demand of new houses, such as building as we used to in the 1950s/60s, would directly cause the devaluation of their personal assets, and eat away at their own beautiful countryside, let alone devaluing the nice rental retirement income they have been planning... Currently the housing situation is brilliant for the middle/upperclass over 50s, so why would they change?

Ofcourse as you say it will all explode soon enough, but they will be old and going by the time that happens (atleast they think so)

Envious of Manchester prices - my family is based in the southwest, and prices in anywhere around a 1 hour circle of my family is just ridiculous. Im saving at the moment too, and should be ready by next summer - its just a question of what to do with the savings, and how best to play the current market, and not end up trapped in a huge mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    This house is a circus

ReputationRep:
    berserk as

ReputationRep:
    F***.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.