Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    My concern is that nobody is going to be hiring right now with all the uncertainty over Brexit.

Plus, going to a selection of interviews all over the country absolutely crippled me financially. At least this way I can just crash with family rent free and arrange interviews as I please rather than paying £80 a pop for a train ticket.

How is the ACCA/ACA when compared to say, university?

It's something I have thought about but like you said, I feel incredibly disadvantaged not having an Economics/Financial degree. I found the IMC really easy but that was because most of the material was stuff i'd already learnt on the job.
    Well with respect to acca that I do. I would say that I agree with the fact that the fundamental stage, I.e. First 9 modules are equivalent to degree level exams. First 3 are probably first/second year and the next 6 are probably towards the end of the degree. However the professional stage, I.e. Last 5 are suppose to be equivalent to a masters level, and they build on the degree level stage and then add lots more.
    What I would say is in my qualification, there can be taken like modules and as they are quite different it is easier to differentiate and work on one at a time.

In your case, I think using a learning provider, I.e.kaplan may be useful as they assume you have no knowledge so it won't be a disadvantage and will help to give you the confidence to sit the exams. Tbf, I have come across people in my qualification who work in various different areas and have many diverse degrees and backgrounds so I won't worry about too much and just give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Wilder would put AJ out.

Credit to Dominic. Lasted longer than I thought but was never going to trouble AJ. Hardly threw any punches.
    Parker will be a good fight and he's his mandatory so all the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Aside from the Iraq war, what do you take issue with?

In the end, he won 3 elections, two by an absolute landslide - resurected a fading labour party, pressed forward with devolution (something your happy with I presume? being welsh and all?), minimum wage, finalised peace agreements with NI, Invested hugely in the public sector like never before, over saw record levels of low unemployment, banned fox hunting, oversaw positive foreign intervention in cases such as Kosovo + Sierra leione, broght forward the human rights act, passed the civil partnership act, Pushed university attendance (questionable, but I would say a long-term positive)

The bad:
    Iraq + Afghanistan, Dodgy relationships with buisness leaders + world powers, De-regulation of financial industry, over berorcracy + mismanegement of the NHS

Overal, I would put him as a very sucessful PM, if you remove the two wars.. and a mixed bag with the two wars included.. and thats how I think history will view him, as a solid priminister alround, but one who made an huge awful decision in the end.
    Don't really see how you can say "apart from the Iraq war", as it's quite a *large* issue. An illegal war, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths and complete destabilisation of the Middle East. Say what you want about Hussain, he kept the country in control.

As you mentioned, the NHS.

His opinion tha everyone should go to university; you've now got many, many youngsters now going to X polytechnic to get a worthless degree and getting themselves into tremendous debt in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Don't really see how you can say "apart from the Iraq war", as it's quite a *large* issue. An illegal war, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths and complete destabilisation of the Middle East. Say what you want about Hussain, he kept the country in control.

As you mentioned, the NHS.

His opinion tha everyone should go to university; you've now got many, many youngsters now going to X polytechnic to get a worthless degree and getting themselves into tremendous debt in doing so.
    I agree on the Iraq war - as said, but I think the reason we see it as a large issue right now is because of our proximity to the problem, we are still living through the effects.. in the future it will be far less important, and probably just seen as one of the UKs many awful mistaken wars that we have fought in our long history,

I agree with the NHS as well - he increased spending, but his wider plans were awfully ineffective,

For Students, its hard.. currently around 30% of people attend university in the UK.. in china it is 60%, and higher then the UK in many countries. For me, its just slowly becoming a fact of our society that you stay in education until 21. Its a progression, first it was 14, then it was 16.. currently its 18. I would put my money on that at some point within the next 100 years, it will rise to 21, and university level education will be compulsory. Masters and post-graduate will become the new advanced option. It sounds crazy, but no more so then if you had said that EVERYONE must be in education or training until they are 18, to someone back in the 1910s when many people still left school at 14-16 to work.

Anyway, I agree with what your saying about some of the problems, my reasoning is though that when we are close to a situation the negatives carry a much larger emotional impact, and we focus on them much much more. But as time passes that emotion fades, and people look at things in a more ballenced light. Similarly with thatcher, whose popularity and respect has increased hugely since her time as PM

ReputationRep:
    Lol at people watching boxing or sport this week. Let's face it, the euro has been shite, the weather will mean Wimbledon gets stopped every hour, the cricket is a one sided affair.......the real entertainment is going to be the **** happening to labour and Tory. Man it's going to be madness. People will be writing thesis on on.

Lol and it's taking force.

ReputationRep:
    36% turn out from 18-24 year olds is disgusting. Willing to bet tens of thousands who signed that poncy second referendum petition didn't even vote.

I'm getting abused by nonces on the politics subforum for pointing out the retardness of suggesting London should seperate from England and its no different from Scotland leaving the UK.

I think many people are making a meal of the economic situation we'd supposedly be in, but can't see Scotland staying, not that I think they deserve a second referendum.

Lol at the Lib Dems saying they'll overturn the Brexit vote. All 8 of their MP's. Strong sense of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    I think many people are making a meal of the economic situation we'd supposedly be in, but can't see Scotland staying, not that I think they deserve a second referendum.
    Why don't they deserve another referendum on independence when the conditions of the UK they wanted to remain in has changed dramatically?

Can't wait to see Wales go to the dogs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Why don't they deserve another referendum on independence when the conditions of the UK they wanted to remain in has changed dramatically?

Can't wait to see Wales go to the dogs too.
    They cited the first one as a once in a generation/lifetime oppprtunity and chose to remain. The referendum was a vote for the UK to remain a part of the EU, which they chose to be. Bob from number 53 wantd to remain, almost 50% of the UK wanted to remain but we live in a democracy. Not everybody in Scotland wanted to remain.

The referendum was a vote for the UK to remain in the EU, not Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Because they voted to remain part of the UK when they knew there would be a referendum and its was obvious that Scotland alone could not control the outcome of that referendum. It will happen but it makes a mockery of the idea that the SNP in anyway respected the result of the previous referendum. As said this morning, they are now questioning whether they will even respect the result of the EU referendum. They are acting like they are a separate nation when actually they are not, that is the point of the union. Its an unequal union and they knew that when they committed to it again.

Not that the SNP care but if the UK does leave Scotland leaving to the EU would be a monumentally bad decision for them economically, they would gets all the negatives and miss out on some of the most best positives.

(Original post by The Wavefunction)
    An illegal war
    It wasn't really illegal. People seem to forget the 1991 situation was based on a ceasefire with conditions. We flew jets over Iraq for a decade in the run up, with actions like Operation Desert Thunder, and then the actual bombing of Iraq in Operation Desert Fox in 1998. There was precedent for military action which had been justified numerous times by 678. The invasion of a nation could be justified by 678, because Saddam opened himself up to such action when he invaded Kuwait.

The real issue is how ineffective an organisation the UN is, and how power in in favour of the members rather than the organisation. The US rather than putting it to a vote (which they would lose on veto) just decided the 'consequences' set out by the UN mean full extension of military action and proceeded. The wording of previous resolutions does justify the action, its used terms like 'final opportunity' 'all means necessary', but it doesn't specifically close off proceeding without a further resolution.

Basically the war wasn't legally sanction, but its also not illegal because sanction for the justification (which is legally based) was not sought. Its intentionally been kept in the grey by the lack of a decision on a second resolution. For it to be decided whether the justification could be used as the US and UK claimed you would need Article 39 and the Security Council. However both the US and UK have veto power on the council, so thats not going to happen unless of course they know it will be voted as legal. So in many ways its meaningless. Problem with the security council in general, our wars are legal if we say they are legal. If it suits Russia (for example lifting of sanctions) (and China US recognitions of South China claims) then magically the illegal war becomes 100% water tight legal overnight.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the legality of the war. The bigger question for Blair is whether or not he deliberately misled parliament and by doing to subverted British democracy to gain domestic authority for the war. There is a fair amount of evidence he had already committed to the war and used intelligence known to be questionable to misinform MP's into voting in his favour.

I do agree with acorns though. History will be kind of him, Iraq is a long way away and the consequences there will be forgotten but his legacy domestically will be present here in the UK for a long time to come which was far more positive his first term especially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    They cited the first one as a once in a generation/lifetime oppprtunity and chose to remain. The referendum was a vote for the UK to remain a part of the EU, which they chose to be. Bob from number 53 wantd to remain, almost 50% of the UK wanted to remain but we live in a democracy. Not everybody in Scotland wanted to remain.

The referendum was a vote for the UK to remain in the EU, not Scotland.
    Your conclusions sound too technical. Your post here completely neglects the fact that Scotland have their own political identity, they shouldn't have to live by a major decision such as leaving the EU. Before the ref it was obvious if the leave vote won there would be a political/ideological divide between Scotland and the rest of the UK and them leaving would be inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't have any change in opinion about scotland.

I thought they would leave before the referendum happened,
    And I still think they will leave now,

All that has changed is that now it will happen quicker.

Anyone who thought they were going to stay part of the UK for good, is severely deluded. As it was painfully obvious that when the scottish vote was 45-55, it was going to happen again, and again, until finally they get what they want. Esepcially as the election dirrectly after the vote, they went to win a record number of MPs..

I cant count the number of times that nichola and palls have called for another referndum since the 2014 one.. They knew they would never be given one though, not untill either:

a. Enough time passed
    b. A change in circumstancse.

But which ever one it was, scotish indipendance is inevitable, and will happen within our life-time.

ReputationRep:
    Your conclusions sound too technical. Your post here completely neglects the fact that Scotland have their own political identity, they shouldn't have to live by a major decision such as leaving the EU. Before the ref it was obvious if the leave vote won there would be a political/ideological divide between Scotland and the rest of the UK and them leaving would be inevitable.
    Yet nobody was talking about it before. Its how democracy works and the SNP blatantly trying to take advantage of the situation, can't blame them for it trying to take advantage when all the other parties down south are a mess. They're a part of the UK so should at least see what life in the UK outside the EU is like. Whether they split and apply for EU membership now or in 5 years time shouldn't matter as they have to go through the same proccess.

ReputationRep:
    The Wavefunction do you watch House MD?

It's great, it's about a diagnostician who solves really rare cases

It also features:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness

Olivia Wilde >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

swirly pls

Rk2k14 Rk2k16 rk2k10 pls update OP

difeo please accept she's better than Swift

zKlown

Mad Vlad

ReputationRep:
    I like Olivia Wilde but she has terrible taste in men

ReputationRep:
    Mentions hot House actresses, casually misses

Annable Odette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Oh my goodness

Olivia Wilde >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    swirly pls

Rk2k14 Rk2k16 rk2k10 pls update OP

difeo please accept she's better than Swift

zKlown

Mad Vlad
    LOL will not accept

Hottest actress:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    LOL will not accept

Hottest actress:

Your taste in women awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

admit it she's an 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)

admit it she's an 11
    She looks like a 6.5 at best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.