Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Modern warfare being cleaner

Facepalm Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SentryE3D)
    Interesting. I'd much rather fight in modern warfare than the warfare of WWI & WWII. Just seems 'cleaner' to me, if the worst was to happen, it's likely to be quicker. Particularly with modern explosives being much more devastating (on a side-note (and slight brag) I'm pushing my chain of command to look into bomb disposal training. Imagine that as a pick-up line in clubs)
    Yeah but then it's a lot harder (read: impossible) to guarantee you're only taking out targets (I guess it depends what division you are but say operating a plane overhead) and not civilians, and I couldn't live with that on my conscience. Do agree that you'd probably rather die with modern warfare (lol), but I'd rather fight from the trenches against people I know are "my enemy".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Modern warfare being cleaner

Facepalm Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quote button broken?

I can say it definitely is, having seen for myself the effects of both modern warfare and trench warfare. What you're forgetting is that with the strives in medicine in the last 100 years, today's weaponry needs to be more effective as it's much easier to survive, say a simple gunshot wound, now than it was back then. I mean, there's even reports of US soldiers in Iraq trying to get shot just to get themselves home.

ReputationRep:
    Quote button broken?

I can say it definitely is, having seen for myself the effects of both modern warfare and trench warfare. What you're forgetting is that with the strives in medicine in the last 100 years, today's weaponry needs to be more effective as it's much easier to survive, say a simple gunshot wound, now than it was back then. I mean, there's even reports of US soldiers in Iraq trying to get shot just to get themselves home.
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    x
    Thoughts Luke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Anyone play Rocket League?
    I used to play it on PS4 - I was quality mate.

Doing air-goals and everything. Played Difeo and FK and beat them 8-0
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Quote button broken?

Something like that

Cleaner does not mean more likely to survive. People being ripped open by bullets, shrapnel etc is not clean. A B52 does not leave a string of clean headshots.

War is by definition grizzly and not clean. Guns if anything are better at injuring you, yes you might survive your leg being torn into confetti, not clean though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Something like that

Cleaner does not mean more likely to survive. People being ripped open by bullets, shrapnel etc is not clean. A B52 does not leave a string of clean headshots.

War is by definition grizzly and not clean. Guns if anything are better at injuring you, yes you might survive your leg being torn into confetti, not clean though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And tell me how trench warfare was cleaner than what we experience today?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    And tell me how trench warfare was cleaner than what we experience today?
    At what stage did I say it was?

Unless your definition is we don't fight in the horrendous mud of the trenches war is just as horrendously unclean. Bullets travel further, faster and rip people open easier and you can be torn apart by an innumerable different ways. Yes a sniper can headshot a lot of people, but it's hardly clean having your brains distributed over 20m.

Back then you got annihilated by gun, mine, grenade etc and all your buddies around you did too. And you all died from the lack of medical knowledge. Now a days statistically fewer of you are dying, but you are still made of practically paper vs a bullet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At what stage did I say it was?

Unless your definition is we don't fight in the horrendous mud of the trenches war is just as horrendously unclean. Bullets travel further, faster and rip people open easier and you can be torn apart by an innumerable different ways. Yes a sniper can headshot a lot of people, but it's hardly clean having your brains distributed over 20m.

Back then you got annihilated by gun, mine, grenade etc and all your buddies around you did too. And you all died from the lack of medical knowledge. Now a days statistically fewer of you are dying, but you are still made of practically paper vs a bullet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant cleaner as in it's likely to be quicker, not literally meaning people having to clean up parts of me that's been splattered everywhere. There's less prolonged suffering in modern warfare.

Certainly in today's warfare, the weapons are so deadly and accurate, that if you are caught in the firing line then it's very bleak. But I'd certainly take an IED turning me into pink mist than a slow, painful death faced by those that fought in WWI/WWII

ReputationRep:
    Bet none of you know that the goal in a battle isn't actually to kill but to injure. From the horses mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Dirtybit Do you believe him?
    Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. If you are salty because I think you are chatting **** half of the time just say so and stop making underhanded comments like this. Just a bit annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Acorns ramblings today: military drafts, changing society, ideas of countries etc.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Honestly don't think the concepts of drafts + getting regular citizens to fight countries wars are effective any more. Maybe in some places but in the west, with our increased awareness of how society operates and our decreasing sense of patriotism/loyalty to our country, it would be a colossal failure.

In part I am really glad about this. People should never follow blindly into anything in life, certainly not war. Everything should be questioned and not taken at first appearances..

On the other hand, The lack of patriotism part is something that I think effects us negatively in many ways, as well as positively in some. Most of all its just re-shaping the relationship we have with our country, and bringing more in line with the modern ideas of countries being less important then the collective.

Watching Indipendance Day 2 with my wife the other day.. rubbish movie, but fun in a silly way. They brought up the old sci-fi trope that as soon as aliens come we all band together as a species and stop fighting each other and begin fighting aliens.

As much as it is an over-used device in sci-fi movies, I do think it has some merit. We always band together against an opposition group.. left vs right wing, nation vs nation, football team vs football, school vs school, liberal vs conservative, young vs old, race vs race etc.. we constatly look to change and avoid this, but in the end we end up just shifting the boundaries rather then removing the contract. A person does not want us to fight based on countries? ok, they stop that fighting, but then they cause new fighting between those who still want to fight between countries and those who dont.

We are pushing in a dirrection of removing a lot of conflict based on culture/nationality, but personally I dont think it will be achieved until we have to face a common enemy.

Personally I dont think it will be alien or anything of the sort, but rather I think we already have our common enemey that we should be banding together against, and it is climate change / running out of fossil fuels. For me the closer we get to the problem the more we will band together, and whilst things look bleak now, we allways pull through in the moment of a crisis. As long as things are nice and rosy for those in power nothing will get happen, but when **** starts to pile up at their own doorstep, we will, in my eyes, start to see the most radical development both in society + technology that we have seen since the two world wars brought a new era to our world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. If you are salty because I think you are chatting **** half of the time just say so and stop making underhanded comments like this. Just a bit annoying.
    This is funny because it's only a joke.

You the type of guy to lose his rag when catching banter in the group chat.

I hope I've not upset you, I don't like upsetting people. (Serious, no banter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Acorns ramblings today: military drafts, changing society, ideas of countries etc.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Honestly don't think the concepts of drafts + getting regular citizens to fight countries wars are effective any more. Maybe in some places but in the west, with our increased awareness of how society operates and our decreasing sense of patriotism/loyalty to our country, it would be a colossal failure.

In part I am really glad about this. People should never follow blindly into anything in life, certainly not war. Everything should be questioned and not taken at first appearances..

On the other hand, The lack of patriotism part is something that I think effects us negatively in many ways, as well as positively in some. Most of all its just re-shaping the relationship we have with our country, and bringing more in line with the modern ideas of countries being less important then the collective.

Watching Indipendance Day 2 with my wife the other day.. rubbish movie, but fun in a silly way. They brought up the old sci-fi trope that as soon as aliens come we all band together as a species and stop fighting each other and begin fighting aliens.

As much as it is an over-used device in sci-fi movies, I do think it has some merit. We always band together against an opposition group.. left vs right wing, nation vs nation, football team vs football, school vs school, liberal vs conservative, young vs old, race vs race etc.. we constatly look to change and avoid this, but in the end we end up just shifting the boundaries rather then removing the contract. A person does not want us to fight based on countries? ok, they stop that fighting, but then they cause new fighting between those who still want to fight between countries and those who dont.

We are pushing in a dirrection of removing a lot of conflict based on culture/nationality, but personally I dont think it will be achieved until we have to face a common enemy.

Personally I dont think it will be alien or anything of the sort, but rather I think we already have our common enemey that we should be banding together against, and it is climate change / running out of fossil fuels. For me the closer we get to the problem the more we will band together, and whilst things look bleak now, we allways pull through in the moment of a crisis. As long as things are nice and rosy for those in power nothing will get happen, but when **** starts to pile up at their own doorstep, we will, in my eyes, start to see the most radical development both in society + technology that we have seen since the two world wars brought a new era to our world.
    The common enemy is the muslims and their muslamic laws :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    This is funny because it's only a joke.

You the type of guy to lose his rag when catching banter in the group chat.

I hope I've not upset you, I don't like upsetting people. (Serious, no banter)
    Tbh I'm just playing.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    The common enemy is the muslims and their muslamic laws :rolleyes:
    true..

I would rank, list of things that universally will always align opinion in a group of older white people:

1, Critisism of Islam
    2, the weather
    3, The youth of today
    4, Christmas
    5, stricttly come dancing/great british bake off
    6, not wanting to be the person who eats the last biscuit
    7, reminising about when we owned all the things.
    8, critism of the french
    9, critism of the germans
    10, critism of ourselves

ReputationRep:
    true..

I would rank, list of things that universally will always align opinion in a group of older white people:

1, Critisism of Islam
    2, the weather
    3, The youth of today
    4, Christmas
    5, stricttly come dancing/great british bake off
    6, not wanting to be the person who eats the last biscuit
    7, reminising about when we owned all the things.
    8, critism of the french
    9, critism of the germans
    10, critism of ourselves
    Your spelling is unreal pal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Your spelling is unreal pal
    and yet I own a school and educational business..

Shows how much you can do with confidence and the ability to ********!

ReputationRep:
    and yet I own a school and educational business..

Shows how much you can do with confidence and the ability to ********!
    & be English in China 🙄

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.