Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps these people aren't champions they are just competitors. If you thought you had an outside chance of qualifying and then find yourself with a silver medal behind someone who broke a WR, then I'd think they would be pretty happy with that. Perhaps something they can build from, and win at the worlds or something. Especially when you don't know if you're going to inherit that gold medal 2 years later when it comes out they are juiced to the eyeballs.

Also loving the cognitive dissonance from Western nations over doping. US in particular, their athletes are so good they are still topping a medals table when Russia and probably China are engaged in state level doping program yet they are still winning. These Russians aren't half **** at sport, 2 years of performance enhancing drugs later and a nation of 200m people can't find someone good enough to beat Western natural talent.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying that Asian people have little to no physical genetic advantages in sports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    bad country to choose..

My chinese family go crazy for any colour of medals.. Sure the atheletes themselves strive for only perfection, but the population as a whole is bassically the same as england, they just love success in any form.

Similar with my japanese relitives, they have been spamming facebook going crazy about each judo bronze they have won.

I think your trying to make a point out of nothing, and just looking to take a jab at something the UK does, when actually most countries that I have personally had contact with do the same.
    Trying to insinuate something mate?

Got nothing against the UK, just don't see how you can jump for joy at finishing in 3rd place. So far at the Olympics i haven't seen another country act like they've won the thing when they've come 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Am I right in saying that Asian people have little to no physical genetic advantages in sports?
    If that were true then why in the top 5 countries with medals, 3 of them are Asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    If that were true then why in the top 5 countries with medals, 3 of them are Asian?
    Because they win trophies/medals in things that are not sports(e.g. cricket).

Although in gymnastics probably there is an advantage but I still don't consider that a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Since when is finishing 2nd/3rd in your sport in the world mediocre?
    Even if you're in a final, you'd be like top 10 in the world.

Top 10

In the world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    As a more diplomatic answer than Jam's, you find that the Asian countries tend to win the events that rely on a good deal of skill, discipline and practice.

Things like Archery, table tennis and diving require so much practice and precision and they're disciplined enough to produce the best.

However they struggle a lot in athletics because they simply don't have the genetics to be born with that side of things.
    You could argue that you can learn to be world class at archery for instance, but can you learn to be the fastest sprinter in the world? I would say you have to be born with it largely.

ReputationRep:
    Because they win trophies/medals in things that are not sports(e.g. cricket).

Although in gymnastics probably there is an advantage but I still don't consider that a sport.
    I'll bite.

Why aren't cricket and gymnastics sports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Trying to insinuate something mate?

Got nothing against the UK, just don't see how you can jump for joy at finishing in 3rd place. So far at the Olympics i haven't seen another country act like they've won the thing when they've come 3rd.
    My point was, that its not an issue exclusive to the UK, but if you live in the UK, and see the olympics through the UK media, then ofcourse your only going to see british people jumping for joy over 3rd/2nd.

Go to another country, and most are exactly the same - you used china as an example, but I live here, and am surrounded by chinese family and friends, and they go just as olympic crazy as england does.. I mean they have been celebrating a bloody swimmers facial experissions for days, let alone what medal a person gets.. Similarly my japanese relitives, are going nuts over judo right now, even though most of their medals have been bronze.

Its not an issue with the UK, its just something that most countries from my experiance go through due to the nature of having 3 medals. If there was only a single gold medal, then sure - I bet 3rd would get no attention (as 4th/5th do now), but when you give out 3 medals, you make 3 winners.. sure there is a scale of winner, from best to worst, but you still have 3 people who return home with a prize.. and as such most countries celebrate all 3.

Not to mention many things are circumstantial, and achievements are relative. For many its a huge celebration for the refugee swimmers just to qualify, let a lone get a medal.. for others just making the final gets a huge celebration.. and for an athelete ranked 10th-20th, picking up a 3rd place finish is a huge upset, and the achievement of their life..

Really feels like your just trying to make a dig at the UK over a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    I'll bite.

Why aren't cricket and gymnastics sports?
    Cos no real physical activity is required in cricket. You could play that game and be fat as cuck.

Gymnastics I can consider that a sport I guess but it's more depending on the activity. Some of the activities are essentially a dance off, although other activities I can consider a sport in gymnastics as that is a broad term.

ReputationRep:
    Things like Gymnastics are awkward becuase they are so subjective. The judging panels have so much influence over the winner, and their criteria are measured with such a margin for inaccuracy and interpretation. The way that it is determined when a point is awarded just seems vague compared to other sports.

ReputationRep:
    Cos no real physical activity is required in cricket. You could play that game and be fat as cuck.

Gymnastics I can consider that a sport I guess but it's more depending on the activity. Some of the activities are essentially a dance off, although other activities I can consider a sport in gymnastics as that is a broad term.
    You can be a fat and play a multitude of sports. To bowl fast (150kph) for a sustained period of time requires a massive effort, and batting/bowling all day isn't exactly easy on the body. I can't think of any modern day cricketer that I'd consider fat.

Have you seen gymnasts?? They're huge and ripped as ****! The floor is the only thing remotely close to dancing and that's just with the females. I honestly don't think that they're are many more physical sports than gymnastics. The strength required for some of the positions they get in to is outstanding, coupled with unreal flexibility and endurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    You can be a fat and play a multitude of sports. To bowl fast (150kph) for a sustained period of time requires a massive effort, and batting/bowling all day isn't exactly easy on the body. I can't think of any modern day cricketer that I'd consider fat.

Have you seen gymnasts?? They're huge and ripped as ****! The floor is the only thing remotely close to dancing and that's just with the females. I honestly don't think that they're are many more physical sports than gymnastics. The strength required for some of the positions they get in to is outstanding, coupled with unreal flexibility and endurance.
    I didn't say that gymnasts aren't ripped though. I just said that cricket is a sport for fat cucks, hence not a sport. There is little to no real physical activity involved unless you're racking up a century with short breaks.

You get a break each time as well and cricket is a stop start sport.

ReputationRep:
    Cant hate this guy. Beast.

ReputationRep:

They are both sports.

ReputationRep:
    cricket is a sport for fat cucks

A fair point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Cant hate this guy. Beast.
    He's a true sportsman, a true athlete but he plays a pseudo sport.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that gymnasts aren't ripped though. I just said that cricket is a sport for fat cucks, hence not a sport. There is little to no real physical activity involved unless you're racking up a century with short breaks.

You get a break each time as well and cricket is a stop start sport.
    I'll ache more after playing a day of cricket than after a game of football. I can see where you're coming from, but I just think it's ignorant considering I imagine you've never played cricket (possibly at all) to any decent level or for any sustained period.

ReputationRep:
    bammy jastard 27 would you say wrestlers are athletes?

Wilfred Little thoughts on Kurt Angle?

The Angle lock was lit af. You knew when Angle took down those straps **** was about to go down. Absolute scenes when Brock tapped out to it at Summer Slam 2003.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    bammy jastard 27 would you say wrestlers are athletes?

Wilfred Little thoughts on Kurt Angle?

The Angle lock was lit af. You knew when Angle took down those straps **** was about to go down. Absolute scenes when Brock tapped out to it at Summer Slam 2003.
    Why have you @'d me I don't watch wrestling. I was into it around Wrestlemania 16 I think it was. The one where there was a three way TLC match. Dudley Boys, Hardys and Edge & Christian.

Angle has a fat neck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.