Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Imagine calling yourself "man enough" because you quote someone who you never have & probably never will meet from an Internet forum :rofl:
    Poor use of wording clearly point is sheddy constantly *****es about others on this forum without even @ing them. Weak really

JimmySavile

ReputationRep:
    Imagine getting this rustled because I didn't @ you

ReputationRep:
    Shed and Leinad.

Twilight aint got **** on them lovebirds.

ReputationRep:
    Some of these people 'campaigning' for Black Lives Matter are moronic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    dno

Who tf even cares about the majority of the olympics ffs
    Don't be a fool, it's a massive event for the majority of sports across the world.

Thoroughly enjoyable to watch - I can't say I ever watch things like Canoeing or shooting, but when the Olympics is on, they're legitimately fun to watch.

It's lovely to see Britain being the world's best at things, especially when you look at our dominance in Cycling and Rowing. Not to mention the God that is Mo Farah.

ReputationRep:
    I only learnt the words for God Save the Queen yesterday, and in doing so am probably the only Welshman to know it.

ReputationRep:
    Turned £20 in to £50 on my opening weekend of football betting.
    Not bad!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Turned £20 in to £50 on my opening weekend of football betting.
    Not bad!!
    cash out now, and hold your head up as one of a very tiny minority who have actually beat the bookies!*

Its 1am here, how the **** am I meant to sleep after that match. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    cash out now, and hold your head up as one of a very tiny minority who have actually beat the bookies!*

Its 1am here, how the **** am I meant to sleep after that match. *
    I tend to win mainly because I put a lot of small bets on likely things:

Ibra to score and United to win.
    Aguero to score and City to win.

Also had Mané to score, in addition to Liverpool winning with both teams to score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Don't be a fool, it's a massive event for the majority of sports across the world.

Thoroughly enjoyable to watch - I can't say I ever watch things like Canoeing or shooting, but when the Olympics is on, they're legitimately fun to watch.

It's lovely to see Britain being the world's best at things, especially when you look at our dominance in Cycling and Rowing. Not to mention the God that is Mo Farah.
    About to overtake China :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    About to overtake China :cool:
    They got a ridiculous amount in 2012 - is it us being awesome or China being poor?

Surely they have about 15 golds still to get in table tennis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    They got a ridiculous amount in 2012 - is it us being awesome or China being poor?

Bit of both

Yeah they basically win them all so a couple still to come but tonight we've got the cycling sprint guaranteed and probably the tennis, seems like a decent chance we'll end up 2nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

When countries host, they seem to go into overdrive. Beijing was 2008 so plenty of athletes would have carried on to 2012. I think GB are seeing the same effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Bit of both

Yeah they basically win them all so a couple still to come but tonight we've got the cycling sprint guaranteed and probably the tennis, seems like a decent chance we'll end up 2nd
    I think we've gotten Gold in a lot of events we didn't expect, like 2 in Gymnastics tonight for instance.

China have been poor in areas I expected to see them do well in.

Murray should win in Tennis, and we still have the Triathlon which is all but guaranteed as Gold. Aside from a few more Cycling events, I'm not sure if there's anything else we have a good chance for Gold in though?

We got a lot in Boxing in 2012, but haven't seemed to repeat it unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad to see how much USA skew the medals table though.

They have 16 Gold medals in Swimming. SIXTEEN.
    To put it this way, our best event is Cycling where we have only 4 (China's is also 4).

Take away both nation's best events and we'd have equal number of Golds.

Kinda why I don't buy in to the hype about Phelps - swimming as an event pisses me off because there's a stupid amount of races and ridiculous opportunity to win Gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    It's sad to see how much USA skew the medals table though.

They have 16 Gold medals in Swimming. SIXTEEN.
    To put it this way, our best event is Cycling where we have only 4 (China's is also 4).

Take away both nation's best events and we'd have equal number of Golds.

Kinda why I don't buy in to the hype about Phelps - swimming as an event pisses me off because there's a stupid amount of races and ridiculous opportunity to win Gold.
    Yeah there should be no separating by stroke, it makes no sense. That would take it from 16 events per gender to 7. Although it's not as bad as it seems, it's just Phelps is a freak to be able to compete in so many, most swimmers can only do 2 or 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Yeah there should be no separating by stroke, it makes no sense. That would take it from 16 events per gender to 7. Although it's not as bad as it seems, it's just Phelps is a freak to be able to compete in so many, most swimmers can only do 2 or 3.
    The problem with that is that if you don't separate them by stroke, the fastest stroke is the only one that'll be used.

It's just a shame because the US are dominant in Swimming, but we're dominant in Rowing and Cycling, yet get nowhere near the amount of combined medals they get from their best event.

What I mean is that a world class swimmer like Phelps is probably gonna be good all round so could complete in most short-medium distance events (plus the team ones too).
    I think number of medals is unfair as a point because somebody like Mo Farah can only realistically win 2 golds per Olympics, whereas Phelps can/has won in excess of 6 or 7 at a time.

ReputationRep:
    Hope Gatlin murks Bolt.

Guy gets hammered for being a juicer... LOL like Bolt isn't the biggest juicer of them all ffs

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the swimming strokes are ridiculous. Why they decide to include less effective methods of swimming as separate events just seems pointless. Some of the strokes are relevant only because the rules dictate they are relevant.

One of the reasons Phelps achievements are a bit over played. He's a great Olympian but he in terms of
    medal count competes in a stupidly advantaged area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    The problem with that is that if you don't separate them by stroke, the fastest stroke is the only one that'll be used.

It's just a shame because the US are dominant in Swimming, but we're dominant in Rowing and Cycling, yet get nowhere near the amount of combined medals they get from their best event.

What I mean is that a world class swimmer like Phelps is probably gonna be good all round so could complete in most short-medium distance events (plus the team ones too).
    I think number of medals is unfair as a point because somebody like Mo Farah can only realistically win 2 golds per Olympics, whereas Phelps can/has won in excess of 6 or 7 at a time.
    As it should be. Imagine if the 100m final tonight was followed by the 100m backwards final then the 100m high knees final

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.