Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely thought Sunderland went down last year. Saw Sunderland vs Middlesbrough team news all over twitter and wondered why a Championship game was getting so much attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    absolute nonsense. it was close but Mcgregor did deserve to win. He was saved by the bell mind you.
    McGregor did not win that fight. You can give him rounds 1 & 2....3 could have gone either way but Diaz initiated the majority of attacks (tbh a draw makes much more sense as a final decision because it was pretty even) 4 and 5 Diaz took those....

It was clear in the later rounds that Connor was completely gassed and was clinching Diaz for dear life. McGregor didn't have the power to knock Diaz out...the guy can take whatever you throw at him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    McGregor did not win that fight. You can give him rounds 1 & 2....3 could have gone either way but Diaz initiated the majority of attacks (tbh a draw makes much more sense as a final decision because it was pretty even) 4 and 5 Diaz took those....

It was clear in the later rounds that Connor was completely gassed and was clinching Diaz for dear life. McGregor didn't have the power to knock Diaz out...the guy can take whatever you throw at him.
    Well actually based on the stats he did seeing as he had more successful strikes landed along with 3 knockdowns.

I and most people would give Mcgregor rounds 1, 2 and 4

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't watch the fight live so just seen the replay. I must say for a professional athlete I am surprised at how quickly McGregor tired. I mean they are only 5 minute rounds, and the first round was barely high intensity but by the end of the second McGregor was visibly fading. I mean that is 10 minutes cumulative action, and it wasn't until late in the second there was any grappling or take down attempts. I mean someone like Flloyd Mayweahter fared well in his late 30's against Maidana who is a younger and bigger pressure fighter and that went the distance. Perhaps I'm being harsh but I thought they kept talking about preparation, to me he didn't look physically prepped for a fighter in his prime, 28, being asked for 10 mins of action.

UFC is a bit of a joke though, its like WWE/Boxing hybrid tbh. The credibility and business of boxing but the match ups and such so manufactured its more like WWE tbh. I like McGregor, but I thought he lost the bout. For me he took round one and two, but Diaz took the others. I guess it comes down to round 4 but McGregor still looked defensive and reactive especially in the clinches, no game plan other than prevention. The commentator and such saying the final round would probably decide it.

I must say, I don't think McGregor is anywhere near as good or complete fighter as he is showman and promotor. This fight was clear on the outside, his game plan looked solid but once Diaz changed tack Connor was a passenger. McGregor is bigger than UFC tbh, his name recognition is too high for UFC not to protect him. Still my favourite UFC fighter, but I'm not a massive UFC fan.

Diaz's face was ****ed up post fight though. With the beanie and the hoodie, looked like a homeless guy who just got jumped.

ReputationRep:
    Flloyd Mayweahter
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    How on earth do Sunderland manage to stay up every year. They are actually such a piss poor team.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Genuinely thought Sunderland went down last year. Saw Sunderland vs Middlesbrough team news all over twitter and wondered why a Championship game was getting so much attention.
    If they don't sign a few players they'll definitely be going down this year.

Donald Love was atrocious. Feel a bit sorry for him as he's nowhere near ready for Premier League football.

ReputationRep:
    Martial's new girl is a low key worldy.

Rare type of worldy that.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471814090.101135.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  46.8 KB

That's not bad is it?

Hated all the big finals being on at 2am these last few weeks. Yeah you can wake up and watch replays but it's not quite the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Well that's it then.
    Bolt has Gold medals in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay in three consecutive Olympic Games.

9 Gold medals and has never been beaten in an Olympic Games before.
    He isn't just the greatest Olympian of all time, you could argue he's the greatest ever sportsman...
    Having spent those entire 325 seconds at the Olympics proving himself? :rolleyes:

On a simple level, running fast is probably the most instinctive one and I could understand the argument about greatest athlete. However running such a short distance means you don't have that same mental challenge you have in a lot of other sports. You are either the fastest/best to react in a 100m run or not. There's no tactical play against your opponents etc. No chance I'd put him anywhere near the greatest sportsman ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Farah is absolutely phenomenal.

When I was growing up, whenever I watched athletics it used to just be the Africans who were unbeatable in long distance.
    Now Britain are the unbeatable ones.

I think the best thing about Mo is just how consistently he wins. We've been talking previously about how the British Cycling Team optimise themselves to win at the Olympics and don't do so well in between.
    Farah just wins all the time. All the bloody time and there's absolutely nothing anybody can do to stop him...

I imagine we'll see a few Knighthoods following this Olympics.
    One for Kenny (possibly Trott), and perhaps one for Farah too?
    You know Mo Farah is black right? Born in Somalia to a Somalian couple (which is in Africa btw).

Funny how you hear no reference to Mo's Somalian heritage. Whereas when it's something bad then there's no reference to being British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Having spent those entire 325 seconds at the Olympics proving himself? :rolleyes:

On a simple level, running fast is probably the most instinctive one and I could understand the argument about greatest athlete. However running such a short distance means you don't have that same mental challenge you have in a lot of other sports. You are either the fastest/best to react in a 100m run or not. There's no tactical play against your opponents etc. No chance I'd put him anywhere near the greatest sportsman ever.
    Talk about being a reductionist...

Do you understand the ridiculous pressure that comes with this?
    The years of training for that one race that will define your career?
    It's worse in a shorter timeframe - in longer races you might be able to come back from something (e.g: Farah's fall in the 10,000m), but do you think you can recover from a mistake in the 100m?

It's not about tactics in the sprint races; it's about sheer training and hard work. Why does that make those people any less worthy of being seen as the greatest sportspeople ever?
    They're setting an example - showing people the rewards for training hard to be the best.

Sometimes though you just have to accept that what you're seeing right now is history being made. That level of dominance and consistency - in the most competitive events out there - is something we're unlikely to see again in the 21st Century.

ReputationRep:
    You know Mo Farah is black right? Born in Somalia to a Somalian couple (which is in Africa btw).

Funny how you hear no reference to Mo's Somalian heritage. Whereas when it's something bad then there's no reference to being British.
    Why should I care where he comes from?
    He runs for Great Britain and I'll support him as a British athlete exactly the same as if he were white born in Sheffield or anywhere else.

Again with Mo it's all about training, and you can see that because the people he's trained with (e.g: Rupp - who is white btw) have been big players in the long distance game over the last few Olympics.

Jesus man, why are you being such a downer?
    Bolt is legendary and Farah is phenomenal. If you can't accept that then maybe you shouldn't watch athletics...

ReputationRep:

Pretty much this. Made a reference to this on the previous page. Although tbf Luke recognising him as british is a good thing if he's consistent with that line of thinking for all immigrants.

Africans are still unbeatable in running events. Carribeans/African Americans(west african majority heritage) are the best in the shorter distance so essentially east and west africa dominate the running events. What always baffles me is that if most carribeans come from west africa how comes west africa are so bad at 100m?

And to add to this Michael Jordan is probably greatest sportsman ever. Guy retired after making his bulls side dominant then came back and made his Bulls side dominant again after they had a few dodgy seasons without him.

Messi comes pretty darn close though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Talk about being a reductionist...

Do you understand the ridiculous pressure that comes with this?
    The years of training for that one race that will define your career?
    It's worse in a shorter timeframe - in longer races you might be able to come back from something (e.g: Farah's fall in the 10,000m), but do you think you can recover from a mistake in the 100m?

It's not about tactics in the sprint races; it's about sheer training and hard work. Why does that make those people any less worthy of being seen as the greatest sportspeople ever?
    They're setting an example - showing people the rewards for training hard to be the best.

Sometimes though you just have to accept that what you're seeing right now is history being made. That level of dominance and consistency - in the most competitive events out there - is something we're unlikely to see again in the 21st Century.
    Yea it's pressure in the build up but the events themselves are so short there's unlikely to be any pressure during it. Compare that to playing a 5 day test match or a 5 hour grand slam final or a 90 minute football final etc

Everyone in every sport trains bloody hard. Someone like Phelps is/was more dominant in his own sport it's just that sprinting has a bigger audience. Bolt was fantastic for athletics and sports generally - I'm glad I got to witness it in my lifetime since I don't think we'll see anything like it again however it still goes back to him being a fantastic and consistent in the biggest stage athlete. There's no direct opposition since you compete individually and compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Why should I care where he comes from?
    He runs for Great Britain and I'll support him as a British athlete exactly the same as if he were white born in Sheffield or anywhere else.

Again with Mo it's all about training, and you can see that because the people he's trained with (e.g: Rupp - who is white btw) have been big players in the long distance game over the last few Olympics.

Jesus man, why are you being such a downer?
    Bolt is legendary and Farah is phenomenal. If you can't accept that then maybe you shouldn't watch athletics...
    My point was about the attitude generally where someone is successful then they are British (ignoring heritage) but when something is bad then it's all about their heritage and ignore that they are British. Just a comment on the general rising xenophobia agenda when it suits them in this country.

Doesn't even have to be about colour. Murray was Scottish when he was **** and now that he's a multiple champion he's British and "one of our own".

I watched it close enough to realise Mo is black (and African other than adopting the nationality of the country he moved to).

ReputationRep:
    Doubt Mo even eats Quorn tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Couldn't watch the fight live so just seen the replay. I must say for a professional athlete I am surprised at how quickly McGregor tired. I mean they are only 5 minute rounds, and the first round was barely high intensity but by the end of the second McGregor was visibly fading. I mean that is 10 minutes cumulative action, and it wasn't until late in the second there was any grappling or take down attempts. I mean someone like Flloyd Mayweahter fared well in his late 30's against Maidana who is a younger and bigger pressure fighter and that went the distance. Perhaps I'm being harsh but I thought they kept talking about preparation, to me he didn't look physically prepped for a fighter in his prime, 28, being asked for 10 mins of action.

UFC is a bit of a joke though, its like WWE/Boxing hybrid tbh. The credibility and business of boxing but the match ups and such so manufactured its more like WWE tbh. I like McGregor, but I thought he lost the bout. For me he took round one and two, but Diaz took the others. I guess it comes down to round 4 but McGregor still looked defensive and reactive especially in the clinches, no game plan other than prevention. The commentator and such saying the final round would probably decide it.

I must say, I don't think McGregor is anywhere near as good or complete fighter as he is showman and promotor. This fight was clear on the outside, his game plan looked solid but once Diaz changed tack Connor was a passenger. McGregor is bigger than UFC tbh, his name recognition is too high for UFC not to protect him. Still my favourite UFC fighter, but I'm not a massive UFC fan.

Diaz's face was ****ed up post fight though. With the beanie and the hoodie, looked like a homeless guy who just got jumped.
    To the unexperienced eye it looks like they are both really unfit but I can totally relate. When you're grappling constantly like that with full intensity coupled with having to kick and punch at full strength it takes SO much energy out of you its unreal.

That time spent defending takedowns/grapples so you dont get chocked or armlocked makes you go from 100-0 real quick :lol:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    The concept of being the greatest sportsmen/woman of all time is ridiculous - quite how you compare someone like Steve Redgrave who won 5 golds at 5 consecutive Olympics, with someone like Messi, to someone like Bolt.

Sure Bolt is a sporting great, but greatest ever? nah

If I had to have an opinion my shout is to the guy who held the log carry record for over a thousand years before Hafthor Bjornsson beat it a year or so ago, with all the modern tech, diet and PEDs

ReputationRep:
    I do wish Farah went by Mohamed, purely to confuse all the pro-Britain, anti-muslim ****tards.

ReputationRep:
    Again, there's this brudda called Muhammad Ali.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.