The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Initially I was pro-refugees, but the events in Sweden and Germany as well as these bomb attacks have changed my opinion quite considerably. It is pretty funny though seeing the significant number of nonces that use this website to try and use the attacks this morning to bolster their Anti-EU views.
Attacks like these were always going to happen after the arrests of the guys in Brussels last week, could see this becoming a regular occurence tbh. Been three in Europe in the last week at least, watch how much mainstream coverage this gets compared to Ankara though.

ngl, everytime I get on the tube I'm a bit worried about something like this. Would be just my luck to sit down/stand next to a suicide bomber.
**** would go down if there was an attack on London. Whenever I'm in my lecture theatre I always think it's the perfect place for terrorists to siege. 180 defenceless people with only 2 exists that are easily guarded. Barely any security too.
Original post by The Wavefunction
**** would go down if there was an attack on London. Whenever I'm in my lecture theatre I always think it's the perfect place for terrorists to siege. 180 defenceless people with only 2 exists that are easily guarded. Barely any security too.

tbh I'm not generally that worried about something like that at Uni, maybe because I'm in the suburbs so there's no obvious reason why they would attack there, though my uni is very diverse in ethnic groups tbh

My brother studies in Central though which is a bit worrying.
Jesus you man need to chill.

The media are fear mongering you lot. E.g. I saw an article of the government preparing for up to 8 simultaneous terror attacks which made me think initially that there is going to be a large amount of terrorist attacks soon but the article literally was the government preparing for a potential terrorist attack, it had nothing to do with the prevalence of an attack. But literally how the government can prepare for an attack.
Original post by jam277
Jesus you man need to chill.

The media are fear mongering you lot. E.g. I saw an article of the government preparing for up to 8 simultaneous terror attacks which made me think initially that there is going to be a large amount of terrorist attacks soon but the article literally was the government preparing for a potential terrorist attack, it had nothing to do with the prevalence of an attack. But literally how the government can prepare for an attack.

This

I don't particularly worry about a potential terrorist attack in London. The attacks have been increased in volume around the world but it just feels unlikely that it'll happen in London. A naive view but I trust that a huge terrorist attack in London is unlikely. After the 7/7 bombings, I'm pretty sure the security and awareness around terrorist attacks have vastly stepped up and I'm sure there's plans and security checks in place to stop this from occurring again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are weak and naive (and an ostrich) if you think there won't be attacks in London. Of course there's more security, but anyone who goes on the tube knows how easy it would be to blend in and carry a bomb on to the tube.

As for fear-mongering, yes they probably do to an extent, but there's been at least 4 terrorist bombs that have gone off on European soil over the last few days. But because Jam saw one click-bait article we should all be chill?
I don't think it'll happen in London, either. Brum, Cardiff, Glasgow, Bristol etc all more vulnerable.
Love the ostrich part :rofl:

I just feel like due to all the other bombings and incidents such as those in Paris, has raised security levels and I'm sure there's measures in place to help stop a terrorist attack from taking place. Maybe yes London may become the next target city for terrorists and the underground may become unsafe again but I doubt it'll happen much in London. There's a chance but I don't feel like it'll happen here, just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy Seville
You are weak and naive (and an ostrich) if you think there won't be attacks in London. Of course there's more security, but anyone who goes on the tube knows how easy it would be to blend in and carry a bomb on to the tube.

As for fear-mongering, yes they probably do to an extent, but there's been at least 4 terrorist bombs that have gone off on European soil over the last few days. But because Jam saw one click-bait article we should all be chill?

Oh there is definite chance of an attack in London. Never said there wasn't, but the entire point of these terrorists is to create terror, to create fear. Showing that we are not scared of them(by going on tubes, protesting) etc. will help bring a stand. These terrorists want people to live in a constant state of fear. Matter of fact is that one of us could get hold of a gun right now and just start firing in a busy mall or something(brb 'merica) but I don't think many people are that worried about that on this forum, even if that would constitute a terrorist attack.

Yes of course there have been bombs going off. I think migrants should be checked properly for their identity before coming here, also have to do a mandatory citizenship test too. It shouldn't be easy for them to go to europe, although I am in favour of immigrants who are willing to assimilate to the culture to come to the UK.

Saying that ngl around Xmas time when I had to go Xmas shopping at the shopping centre I was scared for my life. Not been so vigilant in my life.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think it'll happen in London, either. Brum, Cardiff, Glasgow, Bristol etc all more vulnerable.

And what justification do you have for that?

The cities that ISIS have attacked in Europe the last few months have all been capital cities. They crave attention and social media coverage to spread fear, which they would unquestionably get attacking the biggest/2nd biggest city in the world.

There is absolutely no question they've taken advantage of the migrant crisis - this attack or even one on London could have a massive effect on the EU referendum.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
And what justification do you have for that?

The cities that ISIS have attacked in Europe the last few months have all been capital cities. They crave attention and social media coverage to spread fear, which they would unquestionably get attacking the biggest/2nd biggest city in the world.

There is absolutely no question they've taken advantage of the migrant crisis - this attack or even one on London could have a massive effect on the EU referendum.

Not really, but (and bare with me here) from a terrorists point of view I think it would be more common sense (if they have any, that is) to attack a lesser city, security will be way more lax and people won't be as questioning as they would be on the tube for example. Granted, an attack on London would carry more weight than say Birmingham, but 100+ dead Brits would cause enough of a panic regardless of location. The cities I mentioned have high Muslim population and have been known to have contain radicalised Muslims.
Reply 812
Original post by jam277

Saying that ngl around Xmas time when I had to go Xmas shopping at the shopping centre I was scared for my life. Not been so vigilant in my life.

Went to a concert a week after the Paris bombings which was peak considering
Original post by jam277
Oh there is definite chance of an attack in London. Never said there wasn't, but the entire point of these terrorists is to create terror, to create fear. Showing that we are not scared of them(by going on tubes, protesting) etc. will help bring a stand. These terrorists want people to live in a constant state of fear. Matter of fact is that one of us could get hold of a gun right now and just start firing in a busy mall or something(brb 'merica) but I don't think many people are that worried about that on this forum, even if that would constitute a terrorist attack.

Yes of course there have been bombs going off. I think migrants should be checked properly for their identity before coming here, also have to do a mandatory citizenship test too. It shouldn't be easy for them to go to europe, although I am in favour of immigrants who are willing to assimilate to the culture to come to the UK.

I don't understand how showing that you're not scared will bring a stand? Explain? I don't think they care that much about being scared/brave. I get that people should not stop living their lives as normal obviously as that means they win if they didn't but there's no doubt most people are shook

Yeah, probably more likely for a major City in the UK that isn't London.

I doubt it would be too far north though. I'm alright unless they decide to bomb a Starbucks in Leeds.

Terrible scenes though. Whoever said people are responding to these attacks more nowadays is spot on. Terrorist attacks in the middle or major immigration debate is always gonna make things more difficult.
Back in 2006 I was on the tube one time and further down the carriage someone started saying that somebody had left a backpack on the chair. People started looking pretty panicky and somebody was asking if it belonged to anyone still on the carriage, and everyone was like "nope". We were just pulling into a station and somebody pulled the alarm to tell the driver. I got off and left the station pretty quickly. The panic is pretty infectious. One minute you're chilling and then there's people getting all anxious all around you and shouting "is this anybody's bag??" and people running about.

Even though I knew it was probably nothing, I didn't really wanna risk getting blown up just to prove that the media doesn't affect me with its fear-mongering.

Turned out somebody just forgot their schoolbag full of PE clothes. :rolleyes:
Original post by Lúcio
I'm alright unless they decide to bomb a Starbucks in Leeds.

Imagine thinking anyone cares.
@swirly got jokes for days. Even during this depressing convo
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
I don't understand how showing that you're not scared will bring a stand? Explain? I don't think they care that much about being scared/brave. I get that people should not stop living their lives as normal obviously as that means they win if they didn't but there's no doubt most people are shook

Well that's the entire point I'm making.

Their aim is to create terror, which is why they are called terrorists, if you are not in fear and the security takes more steps to stop people from being killed daily from these attacks we win. The second we become in fear and entrapped in our homes for fear of a terrorist attack they win.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Back in 2006 I was on the tube one time and further down the carriage someone started saying that somebody had left a backpack on the chair. People started looking pretty panicky and somebody was asking if it belonged to anyone still on the carriage, and everyone was like "nope". We were just pulling into a station and somebody pulled the alarm to tell the driver. I got off and left the station pretty quickly. The panic is pretty infectious. One minute you're chilling and then there's people getting all anxious all around you and shouting "is this anybody's bag??" and people running about.

Even though I knew it was probably nothing, I didn't really wanna risk getting blown up just to prove that the media doesn't affect me with its fear-mongering.

Turned out somebody just forgot their schoolbag full of PE clothes. :rolleyes:

Lol ofc you gotta be smart about it. When man is on the jubilee line at Canary Wharf at 8:30am I'm definitely thinking in the back of my mind that if a guy has a bomb in their rucksack on this carriage it's a bit peak.

You still in brazil? Is there a lot of cooler climates there? Also which parts of brazil have a mountain/hilly terrain? Always wanted to climb a mountain so I can take a picture of the view on instagram/facebook, get 1000 likes and have a nice profile picture for facebook in the process.

I'd also be getting a lot of dms.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest