Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    See I think the opposite - too much is made about freedom of speech and being able to offend people. In most cases, it's just because they want to insult people. What is so **** about your life that you have nothing better to insult and wind-up people?

Yes some issues have contradictory positions and so someone will not agree with your opinion but there's an obvious line between that and then just insulting people because you can.
    I agree that freedom of speach is to often used as a get-out-of-jail card for saying something you shouldnt have..

But for me it doesn't negate the fact that in my mind we have become more sensitive and easily offended as a society. People still stay awful things, just as people always have.. but I think our reaction to it and the way it is used in the media has changed.

This is largely down to the internet for me..

before the internet a publication pushes an story that plays on people being offended, either by causing offense, or writing something that will trigger a certain group of people into anger (e.g. immigration)... but what would happen? very little.. people would get angry and tell their friends/family, and maybe write to the paper.. done.

But now with the internet and how easy it is to voice your opinion to a listening audiance, we have a huge echo chamber of offense.. whereas before there was little to gain, now there is a huge amount. Publications now can post things that they know will continue the cycle of offense, because they know it will cause people on both sides of the spectrum to recycle their article and give them more and more free publicity and attention..

For older people this has become less of an issue, but I really do worry about younger generations.. Platforms like Tumblr, which I used to use a lot at university are huge examples of this where news stories designed to get you angry and offended loop round and round and round for years, re-appearing on your page every so often as a new person gets offended by them. The whole system perpetuates the myth that your offense is both meaningful and unjust. When really its just a fact of life that sometimes you will be offended, intentionally or unintentionally.

Feminism comes to the forefront when talking about this, but its really just an easy target - even here on TSR its easy to bait a feminist thread..but its even easier to post some right-wing immigration bait and watch the anger and offense ensue.

The issue of people offending others on purpose, is less important to me then the issue of people triggering offense in others. e.g. the daily mail posting an article that offends X person, or the daily mail posting an artcle which triggers X people to be offended about Y.

Obviously the first is awful and gets called out a lot, dispite them hiding behind free speach/differing opinions.. but its the 2nd that I think is much more subtle, and not enough is being done about... dispite its problematic effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Our relationship with Russia is progressively getting worse and I don't see how it'll get any better, especially since we now have Theresa May.

Also, we've just deployed more soldiers to East Europe. The sense is that it's an “unmistakable message – Nato stands as one. An attack on one ally will be considered an attack on all,”

I just have the feeling that it'll escalate..
    I think the first fallacy is that our relationship with Russia is something we can seek to improve by being reasonable.

On an internal level hostile relations with the West are an essential tool for Putin to stay in power. A large part of his appeal, even while Russians know of the corruption, is that he is a strong man. The long standing view of Russia being a large nation with porous borders surrounded by enemies is what perpetuates the notion that only via strong leadership can Russia survive. Putin can never allow the West to be seen as friends, no matter what we do.

Bearing that in mind, when you look internationally at best we can cooperate with Russia. However you can still never be too friendly because we have different goals. You only have to look at Ukraine, and honestly say if not for the threat of western retaliation you seriously think Putin wouldn't have rolled tanks all the way to Kiev? The same with South Ossetia or any of the other frozen conflict areas. The Russian view of their neighbours and quite how independent they are allowed to be is problematic. How do you deal with that? Either accept military interventions or at the least political interventions with the tacit threat of military action, or you have to confront that with the threat of war whether violent or economic.

The more reasonable you are with Russia, the more leeway you give them the closer they will move to enacting their end game. The school of thought that by being reasonable we can bring Russia onboard and have them as an ally is redundant until post Putin at least.

ReputationRep:
    Potential meetings in S7? Gon be good.

Jon and Dany
    Jon and Theon (expect fireworks)
    Arya and Bran meet fellow Starks
    Tyrion meets Jamie and Cersei
    Jon and Drogon
    Night King and Dany

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Potential meetings in S7? Gon be good.

Jon and Dany
    Jon and Theon (expect fireworks)
    Arya and Bran meet fellow Starks
    Tyrion meets Jamie and Cersei
    Jon and Drogon
    Night King and Dany
    Can you explain the part about Melissandre? She had a prophecy right? Why did she think Stannis was the chosen one? And how did it end up being Jon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Can you explain the part about Melissandre? She had a prophecy right? Why did she think Stannis was the chosen one? And how did it end up being Jon?
    Different theories.

Some suggest she was just using Stannis to get to Jon (which did end up happening in the end). Others say that she misinterpreted the visions incorrectly and that AA wasn't Stannis but Jon instead.

She mentions in the show that she saw a great victory at Winterfell (which does happen) but she was wrong about who would be victorious.

ReputationRep:
    Got the Apple event running in the background. I feel like its the closest insight one might be able to get to being inside the North Korean government or the communist groups of the early 20th century. The speaker can basically say whatever they want, and everyone just claps and acts like don't know what was just said was ******** and convinces themselves they are genuinely impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Rk2k14

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Got the Apple event running in the background. I feel like its the closest insight one might be able to get to being inside the North Korean government or the communist groups of the early 20th century. The speaker can basically say whatever they want, and everyone just claps and acts like don't know what was just said was ******** and convinces themselves they are genuinely impressed.
    Now, I know you all know we took away the 3.5mm headphone jack even though nobody asked us to [random cheers], but now we've taken the same thinking and taken it to the Mac: no Escape key [Standing ovation from audience]

Much innovation. Much wow.

ReputationRep:
    Now, I know you all know we took away the 3.5mm headphone jack even though nobody asked us to [random cheers], but now we've taken the same thinking and taken it to the Mac: no Escape key [Standing ovation from audience]

Much innovation. Much wow.
    Love how they casually dropped the prices at the end and the online response seems suggests that has gone down like a lead ballon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Rk2k14

Thoughts?

Fire. Classic Mic.

Do you also get an Eminem vibe from him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Love how they casually dropped the prices at the end and the online response seems suggests that has gone down like a lead ballon.
    All just puppets getting played by the system.

Believe.

ReputationRep:
    Rk2k14 thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Fire. Classic Mic.

Do you also get an Eminem vibe from him?
    Nah not really

They've both got that mic presence where you can feel the raw emotion though.

Don't really rate Mic, but his freestyles are usually on point.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with feminism. To deny that there is a rape culture amongst many young males is both foolish and dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Minge.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth are Apple playing at. How can they misunderstand what consumers want so badly. I've always maintained that the money was in the software because Windows was an unstable piece of ****.

Is Windows still that bad?

ReputationRep:

Apple should just sell their OS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam276)
    I agree with feminism. To deny that there is a rape culture amongst many young males is both foolish and dangerous.
    Just that none of us denied that there is and actually agree with the entire point of feminism, just not feminazis? Same way I agree that some men get discriminated against, however they are not discriminated against anywhere near the level that women are(especially in developing countries like Pakistan), hence why feminism is important.

I don't agree with extreme lefties and I don't agree with extreme right wingers either.

ReputationRep:

Apple should just sell their OS
    But fam, it's 17% thinner which is all that matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    But fam, it's 17% thinner which is all that matters
    Do they actually use the word fam in Wales

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.