The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Just ****ing lol at each and everyone who voted Tory and only now realised how Scum they are

Also lol at the notion that Corbyn would destroy us, when Torys are destroying all aspects of this country

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much this

Posted from TSR Mobile
I voted based on my family's needs and wants as I didnt feel it would really affect me, being so young and at university. It was also based on my beliefs and to what party they matched.

It's not really like my vote mattered, Tories have never gotten over 10% of the vote, I don't think.
Original post by The Wavefunction
I voted based on my family's needs and wants as I didnt feel it would really affect me, being so young and at university. It was also based on my beliefs and to what party they matched.

It's not really like my vote mattered, Tories have never gotten over 10% of the vote, I don't think.

But there are loads of voters like minded to you who thought "it's not going to affect me" and now it has. If everyone holds the view that one vote won't make a difference then this is what ends up happening

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
But there are loads of voters like minded to you who thought "it's not going to affect me" and now it has. If everyone holds the view that one vote won't make a difference then this is what ends up happening

Posted from TSR Mobile

It hasn't really effected my life though. I imagine my life would be very similar whether it was Labour or the Tories who won. I can't think of a single thing that would be noticeably different in my life
I was typing out a very long response with a list of the good and bad that the conservatives have done.. but I accidentally pressed 'back' :frown:

Anyway, if we want to progress as a country we need to be less reactionary, and polarised.

Its pretty easy to make a big list of the bad things that the conservatives have done.. (I just did...) and its also pretty easy to make a big list of the good things they have done (shocking I know, but possible) and you will also be left a big grey area.. things that you may not like, but others will.. (for example, in the list I just made, decision such as raising housing benifit from 18 to 21, and cutting child benfits to only 2 children.. are in my 'grey area')

The problem is that people have this idea of right and wrong, with goverments being either good or bad.

And the crazy thing is that you would have thought that the left wing in this country would be very understanding to the idea that a goverment is not all good/bad, considering the last labour govemernt has a very mixed reputation among labour supporters themselves of both doing many things very well, but also some truely bad mistakes.

All in all, the failure to acknowledge the positives in your opponents, is a huge mistake. The right declares corbyn a threat to national security. the left declares the torys to be ruining this country..

What will actually happen? Neither really.. the country is a limping shambles, and will continue to be under which ever government we have next.

Most of all though people need to accept that we live in a country with a wide disparity of class/wealth/culture/livelyhood etc. and individual groups will seek to have parties that best serve their interest.. both sides will claim that their party does not just serve their interest, that their party is the best for everyone.. but in reality 90% of the time, people vote out of their own interests.

So yeah we need to be less reactionary, and more able to accept the positives in political parties that are not our own.

Until then we will just keep being a mess of resentment + infighting + arguing
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jimmy Seville
The Government are *****. Politicians are *****. But David Cameron/Osborne/Goldsmith/IDS/Gove/May are doing a great job managing to be even bigger ***** than all the other *****.

I genuinely can't understand why people from our generation would vote for them, because they are screwing up education, healthcare, welfare and god knows what else. Then it turns out Cameron'd dad is a **** as well.

Let's be honest as well, Boris is a **** too, but because he has funny hair he gets a pass.

Self interest mostly.

Why would I, or anyone from middle England, vote for Labour who are anti business and anti aspiration? I don't want to be taxed obscene amounts on everything just so Paula from Barnsley can sit on her arse watching Jeremy Kyle with her 10 kids.

They're yet to provide an effective alternative. Imagine if Blair was here now,he'd be tearing the Govt a new one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Self interest mostly.

Why would I, or anyone from middle England, vote for Labour who are anti business and anti aspiration? I don't want to be taxed obscene amounts on everything just so Paula from Barnsley can sit on her arse watching Jeremy Kyle with her 10 kids.

They're yet to provide an effective alternative. Imagine if Blair was here now,he'd be tearing the Govt a new one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

blaire is a pretty special case in modern politics, being one of the most loved, popular and sucessful labour politicans.. and then one of the most hated, in the space of just a few years.

I really love this article: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/20/alastair-campbell-labour-manchester-united-how-two-winning-machines-broke-down

Comparing labour + united..

Especially in its point that one of labours biggest disasters is that they discredited their own legacy, and soiled their own achievements by trying to distance themselves from blaire. (opposed to the torries, who even though they know how controversial and often hated thatcher is.. they stand by her, and their history) - over time thatcher has became more respected, whereas blaire and labours most sucessful period of modern history, has its reputation in the gutter.
Imagine voting for labour in 2020. What a completely and utter disaster a Corbyn government would be. The scraping of tuition fees policy should be enough for alarm bells to be ringing off in people's heads

Yeah, I agree tbh, but it was destined to fail from the very beginning. The Welsh government and local councils are the very definition of inept.
And then there's Dave C and his boys in London who look like they're going to just let the steel industry disappear.

Thoughts on what leaving the EU means for Wales? I heard quite alot of EU funded projects are in operation there
Original post by sevchenko
Imagine voting for labour in 2020. What a completely and utter disaster a Corbyn government would be. The scraping of tuition fees policy should be enough for alarm bells to be ringing off in people's heads

Thoughts on what leaving the EU means for Wales? I heard quite alot of EU funded projects are in operation there

labour will be a disaster in 2020 if they dont change their dirrection quickly.

Which is a real shame for me, as I quite liked some of the ideals of new labour under blaire.. and certainly during the boom years they brought a lot of positive change to the country.

Ive always been a fan of having multiple parties with different ideas that alternate in power, giving shared representation to the different parts of the population they stand for.

The lack of a strong labour, really is a worry for this country.. and it should be a worry for even conservative voters, if they actually look at the country without the bias of their party.

I hope that they do turn things around, but without their scottish seats, and with a huge swing in england required.. Im not sure.
Lol @ thinking Corbyn will survive until the next general election. He's going to get stabbed in the back so fast by the Labour party. They can't do it right now (but happy to undermine him at every turn) since the supporters voted for him but once the support for him dies down, Labour will get rid of him as soon as possible. I'd say he'll be gone in 2018 which gives the new leader 2 years to build a platform before the elections.

Original post by fallen_acorns
labour will be a disaster in 2020 if they dont change their dirrection quickly.

Which is a real shame for me, as I quite liked some of the ideals of new labour under blaire.. and certainly during the boom years they brought a lot of positive change to the country.

Ive always been a fan of having multiple parties with different ideas that alternate in power, giving shared representation to the different parts of the population they stand for.

The lack of a strong labour, really is a worry for this country.. and it should be a worry for even conservative voters, if they actually look at the country without the bias of their party.

I hope that they do turn things around, but without their scottish seats, and with a huge swing in england required.. Im not sure.

I actually think the alternating is the worst thing. All that happens is each Government comes in, tries to put in place a new policy but before you can get the full effect/benefits, the change in Government means it is changed/undermined/scrapped so you're in a huge cycle of inefficiency without making progress in any set direction.

Original post by AR_95
Just ****ing lol at each and everyone who voted Tory and only now realised how Scum they are

Also lol at the notion that Corbyn would destroy us, when Torys are already destroying all aspects of this country

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I find it amusing that there's this huge Tory/Labour divide and slant. Frankly our generation aren't being screwed by the government/politicians - they are frankly self serving and will do anything to stay in power.

The real people who are screwing us are the baby boom/our parents generation.

- They had free Uni education but now we have to pay for ours (and no doubt paying off debts for theirs)
- They all took fat final salary/defined benefit pensions which we'll be paying off for our lifetime whereas our pensions will be pittance
- They bought all the council houses/cheap property. Now it not only costs us a fortune to buy but also they charge us extortionate rents which helps their wealth/property portfolio grow
- They will be a HUGE strain on the NHS over the next 5-25 years. Already you can see the NHS buckling but they will bring it to it's knees and then we'll spend our lifetime paying it off and no doubt the NHS will change before we get any benefit in our old age since it won't be sustainable.

That generation are the biggest voting block so the political parties have to pander to their vote. They will also only every support policies which benefit them even if it will screw up the future for the rest of us.
Has anyone on here had a summer job before? How do you go about getting one?
Original post by ClockEnderAFC

Yes

Job adverts. Ring places up that do seasonal work. I worked in a childrens adventure park. Was horrific but I needed the money.

Seperating fighting parents about a water ride was a personal highlight
My housemate has the most hideous laugh I've ever heard. Sounds like a pig squeling and nails being dragged down a chalkboard at the same time.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC

Use connections or look for adverts. I had a friend who worked as an sailing instructor at a seasonal boating lake 5 minutes from my house and he got me a job there loaning rowing boats out. Decent pay, piss easy job and 5 minutes cycle from my house so no travel costs was ideal.
Last year I emailed them after exams as they'd changed owners and they asked me to do a 5 minute interview and gave me a slightly different job there on the spot. Didnt like the role so won't go back this summer, but it shows how easy it is to get a job in some places.
Talk to friends who work in interesting places or look for adverts. If there are seasonal jobs available and you have a friend who works there who can put in a good word, chances are the company would rather save on interview costs doing the entire process and will just hire on a good word and short informal interview. It's a summer job, not an exec role at a ftse100, firms will treat it as such when employing
Original post by Zerforax

I actually think the alternating is the worst thing. All that happens is each Government comes in, tries to put in place a new policy but before you can get the full effect/benefits, the change in Government means it is changed/undermined/scrapped so you're in a huge cycle of inefficiency without making progress in any set direction.

agree 100% about our parents generation..

With alternating goverments, for me i see this as the best solution a bad bunch of options.

We need representation of different groups in society in parliment, as it is simply impossible for 1 party to represent such a diverse range of interests/opinions.

Now in a perfect world, we would live with an eternal coalition of parties, all who represent their interested group on the national stage, and all acting out of both individual and common interests..

On a practical level though, this will never happen, as people by our nature like to devide into groups and split appart.

So for me, alternating is the only way we can have everyone represented at some point or another..

I agree its highly ineffective, and makes progress slow, but I cant really see an alternative that is better, bar an impossible perfect state where everyone works together.. or a single party state, which has its own mass of problems.
Original post by sevchenko

Not really sure atm, haven't researched enough. I'm planning on looking into everything once my exams are out the way at the start of June.

My parents have both said that they, at the moment, are voting to leave.
Not really sure atm, haven't researched enough. I'm planning on looking into everything once my exams are out the way at the start of June.

same with mine..

My family is pretty split - parents are both leave, grandfather is leave.. aunt + uncle are in, sister is in, youngest cousin is out, older cousins (2) are in..

Pretty much right down the middle..

Causing a lot of arguements at family occasions!
Original post by fallen_acorns
agree 100% about our parents generation..

With alternating goverments, for me i see this as the best solution a bad bunch of options.

We need representation of different groups in society in parliment, as it is simply impossible for 1 party to represent such a diverse range of interests/opinions.

Now in a perfect world, we would live with an eternal coalition of parties, all who represent their interested group on the national stage, and all acting out of both individual and common interests..

On a practical level though, this will never happen, as people by our nature like to devide into groups and split appart.

So for me, alternating is the only way we can have everyone represented at some point or another..

I agree its highly ineffective, and makes progress slow, but I cant really see an alternative that is better, bar an impossible perfect state where everyone works together.. or a single party state, which has its own mass of problems.

Yea I see what you're saying. I sometimes wonder if we should move to rather than one vote being equal for all (it's not really since your constituency can often render your vote meaningless - look at Lib Dems who's supporters are spread thinly and therefore get less seats than in proportion to their votes received) you would vote within classes. Not sure how you categorise people but a 20-something year old is very different to an 80 year old.

I do worry that a lot of people will vote (or not bother) based on headlines and rhetoric - that is on both sides.
Original post by Zerforax
Yea I see what you're saying. I sometimes wonder if we should move to rather than one vote being equal for all (it's not really since your constituency can often render your vote meaningless - look at Lib Dems who's supporters are spread thinly and therefore get less seats than in proportion to their votes received) you would vote within classes. Not sure how you categorise people but a 20-something year old is very different to an 80 year old.

hmm, I've never really thought about it.. but it would certianly be an interesting way to try and boost voting numbers. making peoples votes seem to matter more, and giving them clearer representation in parliment.

Latest