Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of regrets
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Putting up with someone's selfish and abusive behaviour for far, far longer than I should have :grumble: . For a while they drove my self esteem to the ground and made me a generally bitter and angry person for that period of my life I regret the fact that I didn't stand up for myself for so long, but more than that I regret the way that I treated other people when I wasn't okay. I still owe some apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    When u hit 18 you'll be able to leave n live. viva la vida loca.

Meh.
    ITS NOT EASY!!! especially if your are living in this kinda family...
    You really need to have guts to take that step which i don't have and it's just impossible to take that step for me

ReputationRep:
    Actually talking to and then dating my 1st boyfriend >_>

(Original post by Kholmes1)
    Making an account on this.

(So happy I was first to say this, but now I bet as soon as I post it there will be another one.)
    Making an account on this.

(So happy I was second to say this, but now I bet as soon as I post it there will be another one.)

ReputationRep:
    Going to a certain sixth form where I had no people I can call friends and hit rock bottom halfway through because I hated two of my AS subjects and consequently failing

(Original post by fatima1998)
    to be a part of a conservative family
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    More like a wish to not have been born in a narrow minded and conservative family than a regret really since one cannot choose where to live. Anyhow, this is bang on point! I feel the same.
    What do you lot mean by this? Like what is 'conservative' in both your cases?

(Original post by serah.exe)
    selling my organs to the black market
    Can I buy your heart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endgametheory)
    Narrow-minded people! strict rules
    different rules for boys and girls etc

Narrow-minded people! strict rules
    different rules for boys and girls etc
    Oh right, so is culture a really big thing in your family?

ReputationRep:
    Basically holding values that are to be found in 1930s.

-extremely sexist and patriarchal

Seriously, so many things. No freedom as to one's own life in short.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, so is culture a really big thing in your family?
    religion/culture both
    but i am more of a moral person - i am not that religious but i like to do things morally right!

ReputationRep:
    Probably getting drunk and having clothed sex in my white Calvin Kleins. I left to have a shower only to discover they had red period stains all over them. Didn't actually do anything proper because I left and ruined a highly valuable undergarment that I threw away in disgust. My advice to others is to not have drunk sex... it's better to be a Drake than to do something you regret later!

Basically holding values that are to be found in 1930s.

-extremely sexist and patriarchal
    Really? What do you mean by sexist and patriarchal? Like are you expected to cook and stuff while the men of the family just chill?

Seriously, so many things. No freedom as to one's own life in short.
    I can see where you're coming from tbh, pakistani culture is a bit steep when it comes to that sort of stuff. Is your family quite religious too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I don't have any one major regret tbh, I regret not getting more involved in theatre at school for fear of being laughed at, I regret not looking more into all different career options at school, I just kind of went with the flow, I got good grades but I'm having a career crisis right now lol and probably letting my mh get the best of me, looking back I could have just got over it so easily but I let it hold me back a lot, I'm getting past it now but I wasted like a year of my life being so down and out and I've still got a way to go. Sorry if that was a bit deep lol, what are your if you don't mind me asking?
    I feel you homie...

Posted from TSR Mobile

religion/culture both
    but i am more of a moral person - i am not that religious but i like to do things morally right!
    But don't really religious people do things that are morally right?

personally I'd like to think that religion and culture are not related. Some people really have this dumb habit of overlapping the two.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What do you mean by sexist and patriarchal? Like are you expected to cook and stuff while the men of the family just chill?

I can see where you're coming from tbh, pakistani culture is a bit steep when it comes to that sort of stuff. Is your family quite religious too?
    Yes, cooking and cleaning is certainly one part. My mum's family is very chilled and not sexist at all. All my khalas and mamu are so understanding yet they are very religious.

My father's side is a total other different stroy on the other hand. Women= kitchen and kids for them. Extremely cultural and religious too. My guy cousins are considered more important mainly because they have male genital..errmm K. Gender roles are extremely strictly followed.Women are not respected at all. Made fun of in front of others. Its ridiculous. A real pain! Swearing in front of everyone or out and about is normal ...its arrgh.

ReputationRep:
    But don't really religious people do things that are morally right?

personally I'd like to think that religion and culture are not related. Some people really have this dumb habit of overlapping the two.
    noooo i dont think they are morally right!
    they treat gay people like sh*t
    think that boys are the one ones that gonna make their lives like heaven and girls are only for house chores
    and i don't think it's right

ReputationRep:
    Joining TSR

Yes, cooking and cleaning is certainly one part. My mum's family is very chilled and not sexist at all. All my khalas and mamu are so understanding yet they are very religious.
    This is exactly the SAME with my Mum's side. Like 100% identical. I'd like to point out that, my mum's side does not value pakistani culture at all, which is why I can see a distinction between culture and religion.

My father's side is a total other different stroy on the other hand. Women= kitchen and kids for them. Extremely cultural and religious too. My guy cousins are considered more important mainly because they have male genital..errmm K. Gender roles are extremely strictly followed.Women are not respected at all. Made fun of in front of others. Its ridiculous. A real pain! Swearing in front of everyone or out and about is normal ...its arrgh.
    You're right, that is some 1930s mentality. Personally, I've never come across traditional pakistanis with that sort of attitude nowadays.

My dad's side are kinda cultural, but not that extreme.
    Just give it time! People will soon realise their views are outdated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.