Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In school I didn't make many friends, unfortunately they were very clingy and most seemed to be back-stabbers.

I did an apprenticeship, I only worked with 2 men over the age of 40. Everyday I was subjected to everyone having fun at uni (as there was one right next to us) while i'm a loner. Everyone just had there headphones in, so even on the train journey - it was impossible to make any friends.

I'm 18, never been to a nightclub, don't hang out with friends. These are all things I feel i'm missing out on.

Uni was never for me, I am following my dream of running my own business. I hope to be back travelling as I'm hoping to get an office. I don't have any confidence that will make any difference though.

To make it all worse my 1 best-friend who I do see loads. Will be off to Uni across the other side of the country in a few months time.

I just feel i'm missing out on something, I feel quite down about it a lot. I know the only person who can change it is me. I mean - what do I do? Join a Gym? I would love some help.

ReputationRep:
    Go out there, do something that you like, be it going to a gym, volunteering or travelling. Am sure during that, you'll be able to meet new friends who enjoy doing the same thing as you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    When I was your age I felt so much shame and depression in this regard. I wish so much that I didn't let it effect me in the way that it did.

What I found was that the best way to make friends was to, as the above poster mentions, was through common interest groups. School/work/uni can be a bit hit and miss because the people you're lumped with may not have much in common with you. If you join a common interest group however, you're perhaps more likely to have stuff to talk about and do together.

If where you live has a lack of access to such things, there is always the internet.

Wishing you well. Don't ever feel that you are at fault. You've just yet to meet people who inspire you to engage with them.

(Original post by jyyl)
    Go out there, do something that you like, be it going to a gym, volunteering or travelling. Am sure during that, you'll be able to meet new friends who enjoy doing the same thing as you. Good luck
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    When I was your age I felt so much shame and depression in this regard. I wish so much that I didn't let it effect me in the way that it did.

What I found was that the best way to make friends was to, as the above poster mentions, was through common interest groups. School/work/uni can be a bit hit and miss because the people you're lumped with may not have much in common with you. If you join a common interest group however, you're perhaps more likely to have stuff to talk about and do together.

If where you live has a lack of access to such things, there is always the internet.

Wishing you well. Don't ever feel that you are at fault. You've just yet to meet people who inspire you to engage with them.
    Thanks for all your advice. There's not many interest groups really were I live. I suppose I could join the gym, would people bother communicating with you though - or would they just rather do there own thing?

Maybe you should first learn you don't require friends to be happy. Once you establish that, you will realise that when someone leaves, be friend or partner etc.. you won't end up getting depressed or sad. After establishing this, you should just look for stuff on meetup.com or other websites doing actives you enjoy, such as gaming or tech or music or whatever. I wouldn't usually advise this straight away because most people go to uni and meet people similar to them but it seems you really won't meet young-lings on your apprenticeship. You will have to actively look for friends and can't just end up friends with people you live/eat/work with like most people at work or uni do.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience people do their own thing at the gym. I don't find it that sociable but it can help with mental and physical health which in turn can be useful for your interactions with people elsewhere.

It's hard when you live in an area where it's hard to meet people. I think cities are best. Do what makes you happy if you're able to perhaps you could move.

When in a small town I would use common interest forums. I have a friend in Australia who has been a lifeline sometimes in the last ten years.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdsL4kvp_I

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same situation ! My only kinda friend is going to uni this year too.
    You can PM me if you like- I'll be your friend.

ReputationRep:
    I understand you, I also struggle with friends. In my last school, I had two 'best friends' that I used to hang out with but after a while I realised that one of them hated me because she was jealous that I had a better relationship with the other one, so she did as many bad things to me as she could until I left them both for their own happiness and they are best friends until today. Then I moved schools this school year. I am in year 11 so everyone already had their squads so I am still alone. It is very difficult to make friends in public these days. For example, in shopping centres most of the girls act very *****y and only try to show that they are better than others, I haven't met any girls there who would be friendly and would be interested in finding new friends. After all of that I became very shy and I don't talk to a lot of people anymore..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In school I didn't make many friends, unfortunately they were very clingy and most seemed to be back-stabbers.

I did an apprenticeship, I only worked with 2 men over the age of 40. Everyday I was subjected to everyone having fun at uni (as there was one right next to us) while i'm a loner. Everyone just had there headphones in, so even on the train journey - it was impossible to make any friends.

I'm 18, never been to a nightclub, don't hang out with friends. These are all things I feel i'm missing out on.

Uni was never for me, I am following my dream of running my own business. I hope to be back travelling as I'm hoping to get an office. I don't have any confidence that will make any difference though.

To make it all worse my 1 best-friend who I do see loads. Will be off to Uni across the other side of the country in a few months time.

I just feel i'm missing out on something, I feel quite down about it a lot. I know the only person who can change it is me. I mean - what do I do? Join a Gym? I would love some help.
    learn to make yourself your best friend that way you'll never get lonely again?

ReputationRep:

So much available these days. Meet ups? Coucsurfing have events too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

just get in to business and friends will find you at networking events i was exactly the same (20 and still haven't been to a nightclub) but i now have befriended some of the corporate clients and big spenders
    these are people who i can drink with as i discuss a deal and close it with a nice 30% self payment

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.